• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

1. William

William J Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $828
    Has anyone had this issue? Got about 60% through Udemy course and I keep getting this error when trying to open HTML file (index.html).

upload_2019-1-24_16-0-40.png

Opened a ticket with Brackets support team. Seeing if anyone here may have a solution.

Using Windows 10 with latest installation of Brakcets (1.13) btw.

Thanks!

2. Madman1996

Madman1996 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $135
    cool video but i think that just one of them started with coding that was that kid in the tumbnail video did all of them created a website out of scratch that takes years of coding

3. Tousif

Tousif New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $16
    That right there is pure gold. This is the harsh truth that people in this industry may find after months and years of work. And people will charge you hundreds of dollars in courses to teach you this information. Thanks a lot, Mr. Fox for being such a valuable member of this community and helping other fastlaners like me.

Fox likes this.
  4. Wiezel

Wiezel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $657
    Hi @Fox (and others),

I'm confused!
    About to finish the HTML/CSS Udemy course so I get the basic understanding of that.
    In your Facebook group a lot of people speak about using the Elementor Pro theme/builder. This will make creating a website very easy without you even knowing how to use HTML/CSS, so I'm confused on how that works.

Is that one just for WordPress websites? Is it HTML based?
    Because I don't want to build click and drag websites on Wordpress. I want a custom made website for my client with the use of a theme. Or can you use these kind of themes outside of Wordpress as well?

I'm confused on how to proceed from here on. I want to start an Udemy course on SEO as well to provide real value then just building a website and 'Good luck with it'. Especially because you can charge monthly fees for SEO work. Where do I need to go? I'm in need of a bit of direction where to head to. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. jon.M

jon.M The Well Defined Forum Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $420
    Elementor is only for Wordpress websites.

There are themes made for both static HTML websites and Wordpress sites. You need to make sure you get the right type when you pick up a theme. Normally, it either says "HTML theme" or "Wordpress theme" in the title or description. Wordpress themes don't work on a static site and vice versa.

Wiezel likes this.
  6. Wiezel

Wiezel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $657
    Thank you!
    Regarding my other questions... any advice on how to proceed?

7. jon.M

jon.M The Well Defined Forum Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $420
    I've never sold SEO services specifically, but why don't you try to sell it and see if it sticks?

I have dealt with SEO as a marketing manager and learned more about it from some experts in the field. IMO it's simpler than most people think and you can get going after reading a couple of free blogs. It's just a matter of having an idea of what to do, and you need to keep doing it for some time until rankings start to climb.

Read a blog post written by someone like Neil Patel, immediately apply what you learned to a real life business. Rinse and repeat.

Bora.s and Wiezel like this.
  8. Jasonthedream

Jasonthedream New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    Long time lurker, rereading this post as I work on building this business.

I have two quick questions.
    1. When you build a portfolio and approach businesses, is it better to portray yourself as what I am, a solo operator, or is it better to portray yourself as an agency? I understand the big picture of fastlane and potentially reselling the business, etc. I’m just thinking of in the shorter term if it’s easier to get those first dozen or so jobs if you approach people s just a guy building websites and starting out in business. Kind of a bad news bears thing.

2. I’m really interested in the process of niching down. Are there any resources out there that have been helpful? I’d love some worksheets or something like that that might guide me.

Thanks to @Fox for making me believe I can do this, and thanks to everyone else here for pumping their energy into this. It means a lot.

9. Ernman

Ernman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,361
    Fox - I just found this thread. It's going to take me some time to get caught up while I time share with actual work on my biz (action faking?). But I've already learned a lot from you. Thank you very much.

10. Ernman

Ernman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,361
    MHO: Be honest and ready to explain. If you feel fine explaining who/what you are to a potential buyer you're golden. I get it, some companies will not deal with new players or start ups. But if you're not completely honest about what you are and get caught...unpleasantness follows. MJ talked about listing the non-existent student names from his high school class - derived from a teacher who butchered everyone's name. But he also commented about that pushing the boundary. Like all the many decisions we make starting companies, only you can decide.

ChrisB7 likes this.
  11. KLaw

KLaw Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,243
    @Fox I know this thread is 2.5 yrs old, do you think the recommendations you posted in your original post still apply or obsolete? Thanks for sharing.

srodrigo likes this.
  12. LoveLife

LoveLife New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Be blessed! :)

Clearly said.

WOW! It is possible. :) You are like a Fox!

So much clarity!

It has made my day (all of the post)! And potentially the start of my business/brand! THANKS
    I want to build my website and was wondering where to start. I have followed a little bit of html and CSS before but good to have those websites now. Although I have been on Khanacademy today. JS is fun! So far...

Precious. I was wondering if I needed to build one from scratch. Now I have my answer. No.

So far I have only read the first 2 posts of your thread (52 pages aaaaahhhh!). I believe that following your rythm and working on learning and building a website at the same time makes sense.

13. tpjay

tpjay Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $67
    I'm in school for computer science and programmers always say don't reinvent the wheel. I is hard not to when you are first starting out and learning but at a certain point you will be able to read code you have not written and can make changes to to code to make it do what you want. I was afraid to use templates and thought that clients would be turned off but this was just my bias. Thanks for the break through.

Fox and astr0 like this.
  14. srodrigo

srodrigo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,674
    If no one reinvented the wheel, ever, we'd be stuck on the same tech forever. Elon Musk talks about First Principles as a way for him to evolve. There is a reason why things like Rust appeared, otherwise they would have just added more and more stuff to C++ (they still do).

You don't usually need to reinvent the wheel though, specially if you want to focus on building stuff.

astr0 likes this.
  15. Sitedevelop

Sitedevelop PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Hi,

Do you do copywriting part yourself or hire copywriter?

16. YOMANU

YOMANU New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $63
    Me and a friend will be doing website building together. How can we make the concept that Fox explains, work with 2 people?

We can build sites separately, but maybe there will be some friction because the one makes more money for the company than the other (we already have a venture together).

A possible solution would be that we split every project: one makes the websites himselves and the other does the copywriting. However, I'm doubting about this. Workload is not equal for example and our ideas about the site may be contradictory. Maybe it's better for one to do the whole thing himselve.

Any advice anyone?

karnn and BlackMagician like this.
  17. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $488
    Webdev against the odds of the market and even some threads on this forum that say otherwise is impressive. Has this been scaling well for you, or have you moved on to greener pastures since it's been about 3 years?

EDIT: This thread brought it out in me to jump back into webdev; I'm almost fully re-acquainted with my old html5/css skills after 4 days and already have a project to re-do a website with a local organization.
    Hoping this continues to pay out in dividends as I keep putting time in; and cheers.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    karnn likes this.
  18. GradyS

GradyS Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $504
    To those that are asking if he's still pursuing this, a quick look at his YouTube channel (in his signature) shows a video posted last month titled "Building a Website for a Small Business"

Sounds like it's still going to me, and this is absolutely what I'm focusing on for 2019. My wife has a successful design business but ends up outsourcing a good deal of her website design to others. Basically giving up 40-50% of the profit of the job to the web developer. I'd like to help her grow that part of her business, while also focusing on local service companies that have terrible websites.

Thank you @Fox for all of this awesome info.

Fox, TezaN and karnn like this.
  19. DaDream

DaDream Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $216
    What service do you use to track call metrics and such? First time I come across the concept.

20. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,653
    You can use Google Forwarding numbers, and there’s solutions like Callrail too.

Knowing a call was generated by your efforts is only half the battle though. What if they’re all tire-kickers and none are buying? Ideally the business tells you how well the calls are converting into sales, and if you’re generating good quality customers.

DaDream likes this.
  21. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $83,876
    My bad for not keeping this thread up to date.

I am working on a 12k euro project right now, another project for a friends biz, and also a medical type project with two senior members on here.

I basically have been overwhelmed with students and interest on this - I got over 400 private students right now and around 10k in the free group I run. It is a lot of people and I just don't have time to respond to everyone, unfortunately.

I love the forums but I took a little break from posting about web design on here. I come here to kinda get away from it at the moment haha!

Right now I am looking at ways to cut back the 80% and focus on the 20% that will make the most impact.

If you are looking to get into web design as a good service business it is still possible to really well. The game has changed a little since I started this thread (or I have changed) and it is very much about systems and sales at the moment.

Ill post when I can, thank everyone.

Zcott, DaDream, Andy Black and 2 others like this.
  22. DaDream

DaDream Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $216
    So much value in this answer. Scaling too quick. Too fast. Without all the right skills results in failure most of the time.

23. DaDream

DaDream Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $216
    Learned something new. "Compagnies"
    upload_2019-5-21_15-26-54.png

24. DaDream

DaDream Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $216
    My brother. I don't know if someone else already responded this for you. The answer to your question is to PROVIDE VALUE to someone with an AUDIENCE that likes/wants/buys the products your client sells. Look into influencer marketing. Find bloggers in the industry. You want backlinks. Provide value and you will get them. The easiest form of value is to provide free products or money to those influencers in exchange for featuring the website of your clients in their blogs, youtube videos or Instagram posts if you want to go that route. Influencer marketing is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to market anything provided you do it right.

PS: Google doesn't like when people buy links. So there is a method to buying backlins which are beneficial to your clients. All links are not the same. Research a little bit. Educate yourself. Put some of the budget you earn from your clients to build a few high quality backlinks for them and you will get much better results. True backlinking is about good relationships. Building friendships with people in a parallel or similar industry with REPUTABLE websites/digital assets which do not directly compete BUT are RELATED. Those are the links you want for your clients. In the end it all comes down to business. You can try doing everything by yourself and burn yourself out (like I did once). Or you can add value to other people and get good backlinks to build a better reputation for the website you are working on.

Last edited: May 21, 2019 at 10:55 PM
  25. Twice weakly

Twice weakly New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $11
    I hear the recommendation of breaking the time barrier by Quickbooks so many times on podcasts but this time I've finally downloaded it. It's well worth the read.

Fox likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.