• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

GOLD! How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,881

You should be asking on another forum such as stackoverflow or other programming forums. This post doesn't help anyone or provide any insight or add value to the thread...

2. Smuggo

Smuggo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $591
    I have a question.

If you want to make a site with an option to book, let's say a room, do you need to learn SQL and PHP/JAVA or it can be done another way? I want to create sth like that and also a shop for my product I want to sell (with an option to log in, paying options ect.).

The next step would be designer added to the website but I am pretty sure you need to learn to code to achive that.

3. Mike Kaliska

Mike Kaliska Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $125
    I'm a little torn on this one.

This week I've learned a lot about copywriting. Lex's course, going through Sugarman's book, daily practice, etc.

However. Every local client I'm looking at helping has a website that looks like sh*t

I don't feel like good copywriting would help them out if their website looks bad for 1999 standards. Good copywriting on a good looking website would be best in my opinion.

What do you guys recommend?

Should I also learn web design so that I can offer a complete service for people or just specialize in one? I don't want to get lost in endless learning without doing cycles so any advice would be huge.

Thanks!

Silver Silk likes this.
  4. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,340
    Start with both. It's a great combo.

Most agencies here don't even do copywriting. They ask their clients to write their own texts. I offer a big value by also doing the copy. I also think a website with bad copywriting sucks, so it's very important.

Besides, copywriting can always be helpful at any stage in your life.

Silver Silk and Mike Kaliska like this.
  5. Mike Kaliska

Mike Kaliska Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $125
    Thank you for the input! I agree with what you're saying.

Combining them is what I'm hearing from most people (posted this same question in Fox's Facebook group).

I'll go with that route moving forward!

I'm interested to her your take on this since you seem to be doing it. Have you heard of the title, UX Writer? I read about it on Neville Medhora's blog:

https://kopywritingkourse.com/ux-writer/

Not sure if branding myself as a UX Writer is the way to go or something else.

6. Zarar

Zarar Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $209
    So much value in this it's simply amazing...

Fox likes this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,217
    Fox's method is great to learn to build websites and to sell them. Sean Marshall's is great to scale and be free of time

handog likes this.
  8. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,217
    Fox, how do I sign up for your web school website? It just says to login.

Silver Silk likes this.
  9. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,438
    Hey - I was changing some of the backend things around. Should be a lot clearer now.

Still working on a lot of stuff with the school right now so its been a little jumpy last few weeks.

Thanks.

The Abundant Man likes this.
  10. Kalps

Kalps Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $98
    @Fox and @Andy Black You guys are killing it. Thank you very much for pouring in so much value in this thread/forum. Information found here really is GOLD!

Andy Black and Fox like this.
  11. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,438
    Thanks Kalps.

12. struka

struka Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $492
    Signed up for the waiting list. I can't wait.

13. Kalps

Rep Bank:
    $98
    Hey @Fox

Thanks again for everything you do. Have learnt a lot from you since joining this forum and I look forward to learning more. I especially like the selling related information you share. Keep up the great work!

I am redesigning a website for my friend in real estate. She needs to be able to create blog posts and update the site frequently so I will be using a wordpress theme. I offered to do the work for free, but I am a bit concerned about copywriting. Her site has little to no content at this point and copywriting can quickly add up to a lot of money. So I am wondering if I should sign this off as a learning expense or ask her to pay for it/provide content? How would you do it if you were to do it? Also, if you have any suggesstions/tips to working with wordpress themes I would appreciate it.

14. Required

Required Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $306
    I have lurked around this thread quite some time now, thank you for putting effort in to share your ways, this thread has grown to something very valuable. Also great value in your youtube videos and fb group.

So I found out that my father's friend indeed wants a website. We agreed to meet next week to talk about details etc (doing it free). They are a small construction business (must be 3-4 workers) doing wooden facades, terraces and interior decoration. I assume that they get most of their work through word of mouth and referrals.

Even that you said that at the beginning you should stick to something that is already up there in the internet but I thought it would be good experience nevertheless (start with the person closest to you). He already said that there is not going to be any blogs or that but wants to add done projects to the site each time they finish one. Should I still stick to a html template? I know it better than other options.

Appreciate your hard work and looking forward to your next successes.

15. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $8,217
    It's not letting me sign up. It just goes to login.

16. 2legit2quit

2legit2quit Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    my mind has been blown. i work in IT and i know how to bash script, about web servers, and some basic html from when i was younger - but never done much css or html on the regular.

i think this is doable for me. even i could make like an extra 1k$ a month or something...

THANKS FOX!!!! i read the first 15 pages of this thread, seems like theres lots to go through still. thanks for all this valuable content.

17. Thabani

Thabani PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    hello everyone, I just joined hoping to get some info from the OP but can't find a way to send a pm so I will post here. Anyway I have done some web development before with freecodecamp codecademy and Udacity so I know html and js but it didn't lead to anything.

The questions I have got is what is the difference between web design and development? What about the backend (sql, php, c#, node) side of things? Do you outsource that or something? Do I still need to look at the Udemy courses recommended?

Ok, only read every message for the first 5-6 pages so I apologize if these questions have been covered

18. Kalps

Rep Bank:
    $98
    I am answering my own question for anyone else looking for the same thing.

1. I ended up doing my own copywriting to save money.

2. I read some wordpress suggestions here on the forum. Thanks to @Jeff Noel's Avada theme recommendation. Its been working out pretty well so far. As someone with development background but new to wordpress, I find this theme highly intuitive and easy to work with. I have also seen several people recommend Elementor for wordpress, I am planning to try that out next.

Jeff Noel likes this.
  19. Aris Boch

Aris Boch PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    Hi Fox,

I really like the information in this post and I was wondering if you have this as a PDF?

Regards,

20. SunnyDftw

SunnyDftw New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    51 pages and no one has successfully(or unsuccessfully) tried this and come back with a testimony? LOL

edit: typo

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    BVosqe likes this.
  21. 2legit2quit

2legit2quit Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    I was going to, or considered it. I wrote this as a side goal, but decided to pursue amazon fba which i feel is more scalable.

Its really tough, this is a great idea. Another thing is app dev via udemy courses. Theres so many options.

22. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $78,438
    Most started their own threads.

2legit2quit likes this.
  23. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $78,438
    2legit2quit and GuitarManDan like this.
  24. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,408
    Hey Rob and Everyone,

I still have a long way to go and don’t want to make it seem like I’ve “made it” but with no previous web design or coding experience I used Fox’s courses to start my business in Jan 2018.

My best month was in Sept I closed $12k of business.

Switching up my business strategy a little bit in 2019 so it’s a little less volatile (some months I made $0), but if anyone is doubting the value of Fox’s courses please send me a PM and I’ll be more than glad to vouch for how they’ve helped me greatly.

25. Healthfulness

Healthfulness Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $557
    First of all. Thanks for the value here. Haven't gone trough all the posts, but I will. Massivelty appreciated!
    Here's the thing, I have aquired basic skills in designing websites, but I don't know programming. I am going to learn the basics, such as html, css and javascript, but outsource most of these tasks.
    The main question I have - should I start with going niche or be general?
    I see there are web design agencies that focus on specific niche and I could too as I'm soon graduating International Tourism and Hospitality management (don't ask me why, I didn't know what fastline is when I chose it), but this could be used for my own good.
    I could niche to web design (and branding, and copy) for tourism and hospitality niche - travel agencies, destinations, hotels, restaurants etc.
    I do have decent knowledge about these fields and I can make nice looking site (back-end will be outsourced).
    I have also found horrible sites in my home country, where I could offer free website for portfolio and then go from there. I believe it will be fairly easy to create sites in this niche as the idea will be the sames in every one of them.
    Later when I get momentum, I would like to add marketing services and be well known as the agency that will attract tourists to Your hotel/destination like bees to honey!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.