• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Health How to keep healthy when working long time in the office.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pengcheng, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM.

1. pengcheng

pengcheng New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $11
    How to keep healthy when working long time in the office?
    Give me some tips...
    Thanks.

Tanu1234 and Everyman like this.
  2. Ascension

Ascension Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $675
    First of all, hello to you too.

A main concern would be eventual backpain from sitting all the time.
    Try to get a standing desk if you can, a treadmill desk would be even better.
    If that isn't possible one of those movable stools is the next best option, even a simple physio ball will do.

If your cafeteria food is decent you're set, if not look into meal-prepping. That way you'll have healthy meals at work with minimal effort.

Additionally try to get at least some workouts in, maybe you have a gym at or near your work, which you can utilize during your break.
    Otherwise you'll have to do it before or after work. Personally I prefer to work out early in the morning, it gets me awake and the sense of urgency ensures I don't waste any time, but that's personal preference.

Since you're pressed for time keep your workouts short, no longer than 30-45 minutes, you'll have to work with short rest times (30-60s), but no worries you will adapt to it.
    You're working with only a few exercices each workout so those have to count. Stick to mostly compunds, Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead-Press, Barbell Rows, Pullups and Bench Press and all of their variations are your best friend.

Try to keep the volume of your pulling movements (Rows, Pullups, Deadlifts...) higher than that of your presses (Overhead-Press, Bench Press, Dips...). Include rotator cuff, ab and lower back work at the end of every workout, especially if you can't get a decent chair.
    The most basic exercise selection would be Facepulls, (Reverse-)Hyperextensions and hanging knee raises.

If you want to mix in some cardio or you're not the biggest fan of weights, swimming is probably your best option, it strengthens the whole body and can get really difficult really quick.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Everyman and pengcheng like this.
  3. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $744
    When you have been to the toilet you can use the private cubicle to do squats and push ups against the wall or cistern. Walk instead of emailing fellow workers a short distance from you. Stand often. Drink green tea, camomile tea, become vegan.

Everyman likes this.
  4. Sonny Decker

Sonny Decker New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $22
    A few tips? Here ya go:

• Get a standing desk, or if you're hardcore go with a treadmill desk. You could also try a physio ball.
    • Take a 10 minute break every hour. Get up and take a quick walk.
    • Don't constantly snack. It's very easy to snack all day when you're sitting at a desk. Don't keep food at your desk.
    • Sitting all day can cause anterior pelvic tilt. If you do a quick internet search, you'll find plenty of good articles on how to remedy it.
    And of course, eat a balanced diet and get regular exercise.

Hope this helps.

pengcheng and Everyman like this.
  5. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Some random planet, orbiting some random star
    Rep Bank:
    $7,906
    How long are the hours you work? Even if you worked 50 hours a day you could still find 30 minutes a day to exercise (which is the minimum recommended).
    If you're sitting for long periods of time you also should keep carbs low in your diet, otherwise you'll accumulate more fat than you burn. Aim for more vegetables and whole cuts of good-quality meat.
    Get up at least once an hour and stretch and move your body around. Our bodies really aren't meant to be sitting for long periods of time so I recommend moving as much as you can.

Everyman likes this.
  6. Everyman

Everyman Get To The Choppa! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $664
    Hey Man

how long is long time according to you? You mean daily for a couple of hours or a couple of decades daily?

What type of office?

What type of work?

What are your daily habits around the office work?

Give us more details ;)

A standing desk is good but it doesn't work in some cases. Before you invest in a 500 euro + worh of a desk, invest in 120 euro movement assessment. A standing desk doesn't help me. Although it is said that the pressure on L5-S1 lumbar disc is 40kg when standing and 100kg when sitting. It says something.

7. RoadTrip

RoadTrip Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,086
    Walk a little bit at least every hour, preferably every 30 minutes. Go for a walk daily. Walking seems to be the best exercise countering the long hours you sit in a chair. And the most natural position for humans anyway.

Also, I try to squeeze in yoga a couple a times week to keep the muscles flexible. Seems to help me with my lower back pain too.

8. LPPC

LPPC Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $698
    Sitting for a long time slows down metabolism. Stand up and move a bit every 20 mins and this will be prevented. 2 or 3 squats is sufficient.

Alternate between sitting and standings desks.

Walk a lot to compensate the sitting.

Meditate in every break to release the stress.

Good posture/ ergonomics. If you use a laptop for example, buy a stand that lifts the screen up to eye level and use mouse and keyboard. This will prevent neck pain.

Good ergonomic/adjustable chair and desk.

Socialize with people for all kinds of health benefits :)

9. Tanu1234

Tanu1234 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hi,

I suggest reduce time of work- allocate and outsource.

If you cant reduce time of work, take short break in hour, dont eat snacks - eat fruits, drink water, do yoga - two to three times a week, do daily 20 min walk.