The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to design a new product idea?

Idea threads

curiousmarketer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 4, 2019
I need to share a new product design for an existing physical product available in the market with a large multinational firm.

The old product is cylindrical in shape, whereas the new suggested design is circular.

So now I want to show how the product will look as per the new design, while also retaining the existing branding (logo, colors), etc.

Which software or tools can I use to do this?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Noo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Apr 21, 2018
Well, I don't know if I have enough information but by the description of a "physical object", I would say SolidWorks or Autocad.

But there are people who might know more than me in this area, and it's definitely needed more information to draw a conclusion of what suits best and why.

EDIT: SolidWorks probably works. You can draw coffee machines and parts of vehicles with that, which are pretty complex designs, so, I would say solidworks.
It's also what is used at universities by mechanical engineers, who are the experts designing that kind of pieces.
But it's a licensed product.

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Congrats on progress!

Best tool would be your wallet.
As @Sebastya said hire someone to do it for you.

If you can't then maybe try Blender (its free 3d tool),use any free drawing app and make perspective drawings or even sculpture one physically.

3D programs have their steep learning curve, so be warned, you can spend lots of time and have nothing to show in the end.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I need to share a new product design for an existing physical product available in the market with a large multinational firm.

The old product is cylindrical in shape, whereas the new suggested design is circular.

So now I want to show how the product will look as per the new design, while also retaining the existing branding (logo, colors), etc.

Thanks
I think you need to provide a different description. A cylinder is three dimensional, but a circle might have only one dimension.

If you want to retain the existing branding (logo, colors), etc. are you trying to piggyback on the multinational's design? If so, be careful, they could come after you if there is any resemblance that a smart lawyer could say breaches copyright or trademark.

Walter

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA

Thanks
There are some free CAD modeling softwares that you can use. I use Shapr on my iPad quite often... but you need to pay if you want to export a high resolution file (which it doesn’t sound like you want to do).

What I would do if I were you is simply sketch the idea to the best of your ability and pay someone on Upwork or Fiverr. Pretty simple. If your idea doesn’t require intricate working parts to communicate, it can help the presentation to just get a simple 3d model that will take a couple of hours for someone with experience to draft.

You could pay anywhere from $20-100 if it’s a just for show type of thing.

curiousmarketer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Dec 4, 2019
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will try these out.

Just to clarify, this corporation is of the view that their product design has become outdated as it looked pretty much the same for well over 3-4 decades now. So they were thinking of introducing new designs in the market and were inviting ideas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.