The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to deal with developer?

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
I have been working on a project lately, and it's just been a bit of a disaster. Basic bugs are all over the application and the communication I feel is very poor. I have to constantly remind the programmer of what needs to be done and it still doesn't get done. It's way past the delivery date. Don't mean to complain here, but just was looking to get some ideas. On how you guys deal with developers that are like this? If I get another developer I'll have to pay for the bug fixes, but with this one I am losing time like I have a month already.

Thanks.

Time and sanity is more important than money, get a new developer.

Don't try changing the persons behavior or output, people don't change.

You either have a superstar programmer or you don't

Next time when first red flag appears replace programmer immediately.

Learn how to write better project descriptions.

Learn how to screen and interview properly so you don't end up in this situation again.

Learn how to use small test work / projects for potential hires.

Learn how to use milestones and project management tools for communication like Basecamp or Slack.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Get rid off the dev.

Take ownership for your role in this issue i.e. spend more time on due diligence when hiring resources next time.

Whenever I need a dev, I breakdown my idea into small, containable issues. Either these issues will have open source examples available online (e.g. on github) or you will be able to pattern match the issue to find a solution in a different area.

Draw up the rest. Use tools like invisionapp.com, balsamiq.com etc to make clear what you need.

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Exactly the same thing happened to me.

Poor communication, a lot of bugs, promises and promises.

In the end all was left was a terrible system, no customers and so many bugs it made me cry.

Like everyone else in this thread already mentioned go hire another programmer because this one will not get any better.

Before hiring the next programmer do your research and interview several people.

You might want to consider starting from scratch since patching spaghetti coded software filled with bugs can bring quite a few headaches.

Throwing more money at it with the same poor developer working on it will get you know where.

Only a fool keeps repeating the same thing thinking it will bring other results.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I have been working on a project lately, and it's just been a bit of a disaster. Basic bugs are all over the application and the communication I feel is very poor. I have to constantly remind the programmer of what needs to be done and it still doesn't get done. It's way past the delivery date. Don't mean to complain here, but just was looking to get some ideas. On how you guys deal with developers that are like this? If I get another developer I'll have to pay for the bug fixes, but with this one I am losing time like I have a month already.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
Looking at your situation right now, isn't it better to hire better dev? If his application has basic bugs in the beginning, it will keep getting worse and worse. In the future you may pay more for this guy mistakes than hiring more responsible person now.

I am not a guy who would fire someone immediately because of some mistakes, but if the communications fails there is no other way to go, at least for me.

You can always hire company to find programmer for you if you are not sure how to do it yourself. There're tons for devs nowadays and it's crucial to find good ones in that crowd.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Totally agree with what @WinYourself said. Your current developer has shown who they are & how they work--you're unlikely to change that. Find a new developer, but before you hire them, give them specific tasks to gauge their responsiveness, insight & initiative & problem-solving skills, then hire them for a specific small task. If they do well, increase the size of the next task, and repeat.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Sounds like it's time for a new developer. Hiring someone should make your job easier, not harder. That's my one and only hiring insight.

For the next try, make sure that whatever you need developed is described in writing, concisely but thoroughly, if it's not already. That will make the transition easier.

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
In the beginning you need to go through a couple of developers to find out what makes a good one.

On the tool side: Jira is as good as it gets for organising development tasks.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Thanks guys. I guess one mistake was not interviewing more people. I sorta trusted the person from the start because the tone in his voice (the way he spoke) suggested to me that he wants to help and looked at his history, everything seemed fine.

Everytime we are in conversation I ask something and he doesn't really answer it.

Do you think it makes sense to get a refund at this point also?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.