The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to deal with crabs in buckets?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

future8938

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 6, 2020
I have big dreams and know I will make it big. However with success comes people who will drag you down. In my past I have cursed out a few people who I know will try to drag me down when I make it. It's happened before and I KNOW it will happen again. This guy is that kind of guy. I didn't do anything illegal just cursed him out tremendously. He's the kind of guy to screenshot it all and bring me down. Don't say I shouldn't be worried. When you get to a certain level some people will make it their life mission to bring you down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have big dreams and know I will make it big. However with success comes people who will drag you down. In my past I have cursed out a few people who I know will try to drag me down when I make it. It's happened before and I KNOW it will happen again. This guy is that kind of guy. I didn't do anything illegal just cursed him out tremendously. He's the kind of guy to screenshot it all and bring me down. Don't say I shouldn't be worried. When you get to a certain level some people will make it their life mission to bring you down.

My thoughts:
  1. Assume all communication will go public.
  2. Don't feed the trolls.
  3. Ignore haters, or use them as fuel.
  4. People pay for your opinions, so why give them free to people you don't like?

future8938

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 6, 2020
This was a stupid thread. Mods please delete it I apologize

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This was a stupid thread. Mods please delete it I apologize
I don't think it's a stupid thread. A lot of people feel others are out to get them when in fact most people are too focused on themselves. Just remember they're not out to get you, they're more concerned with making themselves look good or feel good. There are for sure people who are like crabs in buckets, but you're best ignoring them imo.

Thread title changed from "What Would You Do?" to "How To Deal With Crabs In Buckets?"

Also, we don't delete threads in the forum:

future8938

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 6, 2020
I don't think it's a stupid thread. A lot of people feel others are out to get them when in fact most people are too focused on themselves. Just remember they're not out to get you, they're more concerned with making themselves look good or feel good. There are for sure people who are like crabs in buckets, but you're best ignoring them imo.

Thread title changed from "What Would You Do?" to "How To Deal With Crabs In Buckets?"

Also, we don't delete threads in the forum:
Yeah I can feel it dragging me down. I know it's going to come up. Look at any famous person they always have their past catch up to them. I know it's going to bite me in the a$$. F*cking hard to focus on the future when the past is behind you. Serious answers only this is actually a big problem.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I can feel it dragging me down. I know it's going to come up. Look at any famous person they always have their past catch up to them. I know it's going to bite me in the a$$. f*cking hard to focus on the future when the past is behind you. Serious answers only this is actually a big problem.

You said it... "the past is behind you."

Don't say stuff now that you'll regret in later years, but in the same breath don't worry about what may happen in the future when you're rich and/or famous.

I can't help thinking of the line: "Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have."

Are you talking yourself out of doing something now for your future because of what you think may happen in the future due to something that happened in the past?

Also... if you've created bad blood with someone then can you go and make amends?

future8938

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 6, 2020
You said it... "the past is behind you."

Don't say stuff now that you'll regret in later years, but in the same breath don't worry about what may happen in the future when you're rich and/or famous.

I can't help thinking of the line: "Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have."

Are you talking yourself out of doing something now for your future because of what you think may happen in the future due to something that happened in the past?

Also... if you've created bad blood with someone then can you go and make amends?
I sent out messages to make amends but man is this thing really dragging me down it's blinding my future. I'm going to try my best to just focus on what I want and forget my past mistakes. Im just worried I'll lose it all when I make it because of the stupidity and ignorance of my past self. Look at how many famous people get ruined over controversial mistakes.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
You don't. Seriously.

It was unfortunate that I worked with a full bucket of crabs in my last, last job. But if you're interacting with them voluntarily, I would say to Just. Stop.

If you MUST interact with them, I would advise you to:
1) Develop a VERY strong sense of self. Like unshakeable. You can't let what other people say get inside your head and affect your purpose, your vision, and your perception of your abilities & self worth.

2) Everytime somebody tries to drag you down & say something demeaning, pretend there is a mirror between you & them. What they say is a reflection of them, and not you.

What they're doing is a form of bullying.

MOST bullies are cowards who will back down once confronted.
I would 'confront' them using means increasing in aggression.
First is verbal. Usually, a sharp, witty comeback will do the trick. I'm a master at those, but regrettably, I don't always have the guts to say it. But when I do, I notice they shut up rather quickly.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but if need be, get figures of authority involved, e.g. someone higher on the hierarchy if it is a workplace issue or police / lawyer etc if it is not.

EDIT: ok I just read your responses

Umm.. I suppose he must have triggered you first before you went on that verbose?
Just make sure your side of the story is also heard if it really came down to that.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You don't. Seriously.

It was unfortunate that I worked with a full bucket of crabs in my last, last job. But if you're interacting with them voluntarily, I would say to Just. Stop.

If you MUST interact with them, I would advise you to:
1) Develop a VERY strong sense of self. Like unshakeable. You can't let what other people say get inside your head and affect your purpose, your vision, and your perception of your abilities & self worth.

2) Everytime somebody tries to drag you down & say something demeaning, pretend there is a mirror between you & them. What they say is a reflection of them, and not you.

What they're doing is a form of bullying.

MOST bullies are cowards who will back down once confronted.
I would 'confront' them using means increasing in aggression.
First is verbal. Usually, a sharp, witty comeback will do the trick. I'm a master at those, but regrettably, I don't always have the guts to say it. But when I do, I notice they shut up rather quickly.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but if need be, get figures of authority involved, e.g. someone higher on the hierarchy if it is a workplace issue or police / lawyer etc if it is not.

EDIT: ok I just read your responses

Umm.. I suppose he must have triggered you first before you went on that verbose?
Just make sure your side of the story is also heard if it really came down to that.
Yes, my bad for changing the title without fully understanding what @future8938 meant. I think it boils down to he believes he’s done wrong to someone in the past who will bring him down if he has success in the future.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Yes, my bad for changing the title without fully understanding what @future8938 meant. I think it boils down to he believes he’s done wrong to someone in the past who will bring him down if he has success in the future.
i agree when you said "overthinking is finding solutions to problems that don't exist", I"m guilty of this, but at the same time, as an entrepreneur, I think you can't be too careful, either.

One slip can really bring down your whole business.

It's hard to give more help to the OP if he's not willing to share more details, but I'd understand if he is uncomfortable to.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think you can't be too careful, either.

One slip can really bring down your whole business.
We can be too careful if it means we never do anything.

I live by “I refuse to regret.” ... which sounds like I don’t gaf, but actually means I try damn hard to not do stuff I will regret,.

If something happens that I didn’t intend (like someone gets offended by what I say or the way I say it) then I don’t beat myself up about it - because I already tried to do it in a way I’d have no cause to regret. (That doesn’t mean I won’t apologise I or try to explain if my initial attempt was clumsy or there’s been a miscommunication.)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
There's only one solution.

Every time you cuss someone out, you have to change your name, dye your hair, grow a mustache and start over.

A bucket of crabs sounds delicious. A little cajun seasoning... A little melted butter... F%#$ yes, that s#$% sounds f#$%&^% amazing!... I better go get the hair dye and call the moving company.

In all honesty... Don't sweat it. Learn to control your temper and your language. It has certainly been a process for me.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Don't sweat it.
^^^ Darn it. Kak used three words when I used three pages.

Learn to control your temper and your language
Aha... It’s likely the English in me, but the more annoyed I get the more polite I get.

I often start my snotty emails with:

“Thank you for ...”

“Can you please ...”

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
What's your relationship to this person? Is there some way of cutting them out of your life entirely?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.