The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to change mindset?

Anything related to matters of the mind

StephanBg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 1, 2019
Northern Germany
But my question is simple, how do we go from entrepreneur to ideas to entrepreneur ?
I think the main takeaway point from the book is, that the idea entrepreneur is lacking action. That means to become a real entrepreneur, you have to act on your idea. From several other books (my favorite: the lean startup) i learned, that the first step would be to test whether there is someone you would help with your idea. Who types of persons and how many would act as a money voucher and pay you (would pay you, not actually has to pay you). Most of the time you create a waiting list of some sort for that. When this test gives you the green light it is much simpler to go the next steps and make it (or let it be made), again act upon it step by step to test if each functionality is understood and needed. Let the market decide. And gather as much feedback as you can get.
This way you won't waste effort for things don't needed. To get this clear: you will make things that won't be needed in the end, but you put only the minimal effort in to find out, and that effort is not wasted.

Having this said, I think you should implement the first few versions yourself, to proof interest. Every now and then you may not be able to progress further with your current skills and have to decide whether it is better to learn the things needed and specialize more in that direction, or if it is better to outsource this thing.

But as in "The One Thing" (also recommended by @MJ DeMarco in one book) you should always concentrate on one thing, that means you should always focus on one the one skill most important skill for the long term game. The rest you should leave as rudimentary as they are (if you can) or you should let take other care of it. The best examples for outsourcing are lawyers needed to check your website. But what you learn and where you advance your skills is up to you.

Thanks for these links!

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
I don’t think it’s about ideas. I’m even a bit allergic to the word.

I think business is simple: Help people. Get paid.

Who have you helped so far? Who will you help this week?

Maybe this might help:
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me, only do you know a way to translate this audio? Or if it is shared on another platform?
I am French, even if that should not be an excuse, I find it hard to understand despite a fine listening.

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
The entrepreneur is the boss. If the boat advances then it’s because of him. If it doesn’t advance then it’s because of him.

Or does he mean the entrepreneur isn’t the one rowing the boat? I personally prefer to get my hands dirty and I think most entrepreneurs do too.

Should entrepreneurs always be rowing the boat? Probably not if they want to scale beyond a certain point.

I dunno. A nugget of wisdom shouldn't need so much context to be understood. Or maybe it was lost in translation.
I misspoke, but your answer is clear.

To summarize, let’s take the example of a dating application, called XYZ.

From its point, XYZ must be developed by a Pro Developer, marketing must be managed by a Pro marketer, which it itself has struggled to look for.

According to him, the contractor is the one who DIRECTS the development of the application but not the one who DEVELOPS it.

But like you said, you’d rather get your hands dirty.

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
My issue is with the word "must" used in his advice above. I think that's a limiting belief.

I'm also wary of the people themselves who utter statements using "you must", "you need to", "you should", or "you have to".
Once again, after reading the comments, I drew my attention to your comment "and I don’t believe we need sales or marketing skills either.

I’ll throw myself in the water and it’ll go faster.

I wish to "revolutionize" the taking of orders in restaurants.

For that, I have to develop a website, and an application.
Despite the knowledge I have in programming, I’m afraid that the time I learn, that I apply, and well someone did it before me.

And this is where I join my comment from above, would it be better not to delegate the tasks to a professional developer?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Once again, after reading the comments, I drew my attention to your comment "and I don’t believe we need sales or marketing skills either.

I’ll throw myself in the water and it’ll go faster.

I wish to "revolutionize" the taking of orders in restaurants.

For that, I have to develop a website, and an application.
Despite the knowledge I have in programming, I’m afraid that the time I learn, that I apply, and well someone did it before me.

And this is where I join my comment from above, would it be better not to delegate the tasks to a professional developer?
It depends. Which is why I’m not a fan of blanket statements.

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
Good morning everyone,

I have a question that may seem simple to you, but difficult for me to answer.

AFTER reading the book "Unscripted ", a passage made me personally react. It is the one where MJ describes the 'different entrepreneurs", the fickle, the rock star...

Only, after having put my ego aside, I have strongly recognized myself as an entrepreneur with ideas, it happens frequently not to say daily to come across ideas, ingenious or not.

But my question is simple, how do we go from entrepreneur to ideas to entrepreneur ?

Thank you in advance,
MC

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good morning everyone,

I have a question that may seem simple to you, but difficult for me to answer.

AFTER reading the book "Unscripted ", a passage made me personally react. It is the one where MJ describes the 'different entrepreneurs", the fickle, the rock star...

Only, after having put my ego aside, I have strongly recognized myself as an entrepreneur with ideas, it happens frequently not to say daily to come across ideas, ingenious or not.

Thank you in advance,
MC
I don’t think it’s about ideas. I’m even a bit allergic to the word.

I think business is simple: Help people. Get paid.

Who have you helped so far? Who will you help this week?

Maybe this might help:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me, only do you know a way to translate this audio? Or if it is shared on another platform?
I am French, even if that should not be an excuse, I find it hard to understand despite a fine listening.
I think some people have posted their bullet point takeaways in that thread. Maybe those will help?

Melv

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 22, 2020
France
I think some people have posted their bullet point takeaways in that thread. Maybe those will help?
After reading each point of view, the sentence that stands out the most is actually, help people and money will follow.

Now, I need your point of view, I recently listened to the interview with Marc Simoncini, founder of Meetic, who shares the fact that we must help people first.

But one sentence struck me, he said, "The entrepreneur is the one who runs the boat, but in no case the one who made it advance".

What do you think of that sentence, you think he’s right?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What do you think of that sentence, you think he’s right?
The entrepreneur is the boss. If the boat advances then it’s because of him. If it doesn’t advance then it’s because of him.

Or does he mean the entrepreneur isn’t the one rowing the boat? I personally prefer to get my hands dirty and I think most entrepreneurs do too.

Should entrepreneurs always be rowing the boat? Probably not if they want to scale beyond a certain point.

I dunno. A nugget of wisdom shouldn't need so much context to be understood. Or maybe it was lost in translation.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
From its point, XYZ must be developed by a Pro Developer, marketing must be managed by a Pro marketer, which it itself has struggled to look for.
My issue is with the word "must" used in his advice above. I think that's a limiting belief.

I'm also wary of the people themselves who utter statements using "you must", "you need to", "you should", or "you have to".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.