The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to approach BIG time FASTLANER through family member

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Hello all,

First and foremost want to thank @MJ DeMarco @biophase @Walter Hay and @Scot for their continued wisdom on my and all fastlaners questions and concerns.

This is a rather unusual request for feedback and advice (wisdom)

My cousin worked for one of the biggest of big time fastlaners as legal counsel and she worked with this particular individual for 4 tumultuous years. She left voluntarily on her own terms (but they were good terms) and is still working (helping) with their family and kin. She has relocated to Germany and works for the biggest insurance company in Europe now. My question is, how do you all suggest I approach her because this contact (and his realm of contacts) are so invaluable with what I want to do in the future it is absolutely UNREAL.... (I will only tell certain people who it is for now). Want to respect my cousin and the individual of course....

HOwever, how does one approach something like this where they want to come off professionally (despite it being family) and be taken seriously (because obviously I respect the fact that her reputation is also partially important despite the fact that she is not employed by this individual) .

Thank you again

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hello all,

First and foremost want to thank @MJ DeMarco @biophase @Walter Hay and @Scot for their continued wisdom on my and all fastlaners questions and concerns.

This is a rather unusual request for feedback and advice (wisdom)

My cousin worked for one of the biggest of big time fastlaners as legal counsel and she worked with this particular individual for 4 tumultuous years. She left voluntarily on her own terms (but they were good terms) and is still working (helping) with their family and kin. She has relocated to Germany and works for the biggest insurance company in Europe now. My question is, how do you all suggest I approach her because this contact (and his realm of contacts) are so invaluable with what I want to do in the future it is absolutely UNREAL.... (I will only tell certain people who it is for now). Want to respect my cousin and the individual of course....

HOwever, how does one approach something like this where they want to come off professionally (despite it being family) and be taken seriously (because obviously I respect the fact that her reputation is also partially important despite the fact that she is not employed by this individual) .

Thank you again
Dude, this is your cousin!!! Why do you feel a need to come off professionally? Talking to her should be like talking to,,, well,,, family...

jfny

Oh it's coming. Just wait.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Apr 23, 2016

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I agree with @SteveO. Start with your cousin first, talk to her about the individual. Maybe don't jump right into "hey can you introduce me to Mark Cuban!" (Picking a random billionaire) But maybe start off with just talking to her about what her job was like and her experience working for him.

At that point, feel it out if it would be appropriate to ask her advice and help. Once she agrees to help, that's when you should really be seeking advice,but right now, you're talking to family.

Also, for the sake of not turning her off instantly, say you're looking for advice from him or for mentorship. Don't jump straight into "I want him to be a business partner!" Same advice goes for when you actually contact him. Start it as a mentorship first, then business next.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I agree with @SteveO. Start with your cousin first, talk to her about the individual. Maybe don't jump right into "hey can you introduce me to Mark Cuban!" (Picking a random billionaire) But maybe start off with just talking to her about what her job was like and her experience working for him.

At that point, feel it out if it would be appropriate to ask her advice and help. Once she agrees to help, that's when you should really be seeking advice,but right now, you're talking to family.

Also, for the sake of not turning her off instantly, say you're looking for advice from him or for mentorship. Don't jump straight into "I want him to be a business partner!" Same advice goes for when you actually contact him. Start it as a mentorship first, then business next.
Agreed.

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our insecurities that we feel some kind of need to be something that we are not. Perhaps others may rather see you for the type of person that you are. You can still show them that you are the "go-getter" and "interested" person without the need to force the business approach.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
well lets put it this way... she made a choice to move to germany (despite the fact that the spouse is from there) however she is not too keen on certain political (ahem TAX cough) principles that us fastlaners FIRMLY believe in. I really do not want to talk politics with her however she being a highly educated and established legal counsel i think of it as a promising key contact and something that 99.99% of the worlds populous will not ever know or experience.

I just want her to understand that I am HUNGRY and am DEVOTED and completely 110% believe in myself and entity. As far as im concern anything can help.. Put it this way.. I would be the biggest fool in the world not to tap into her realm of network/resources. I am 27 she is 40. age aside, there is no way I will let this opportunity pass me. I will only share to MFL after I have achieved something of it because obviously when I DO make it big, i wouldnt mind sharing the ideas for future business opps with fellow fastlaners.

Thanks @SteveO and @Scot

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think the best way to behave around high level people ... or anyone for that matter ... is to be yourself. If they like you, great. If not, they're not the only fish in the pond. That's also the best way to learn, too...when you're trying to be someone else, you're not as likely to learn.

Also, high-level people got there by being low-level at some point. They know all about where you're at. You don't have to 'let them know' that you're hungry and driven. If you're hungry and driven, they'll spot it a mile away.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
I think the best way to behave around high level people ... or anyone for that matter ... is to be yourself. If they like you, great. If not, they're not the only fish in the pond. That's also the best way to learn, too...when you're trying to be someone else, you're not as likely to learn.

Also, high-level people got there by being low-level at some point. They know all about where you're at. You don't have to 'let them know' that you're hungry and driven. If you're hungry and driven, they'll spot it a mile away.

Thanks for the input. As for my cousin yes she started at a low level however the fastlaner is coming from wealth but made wise and superb choices.

I most likely would deal with that individuals children more say. Nonetheless thanks for the inputs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.