The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How the hell'd we wind up like this?

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal
Hey!

People call me Mike

I just found UNSCRIPTED last week on Amazon. It had good reviews so I picked up a copy. I haven’t finished it yet but I’m happy with what I’ve read so far, so I figured I’d check out the Fastlane Forum that’s mentioned in the book.

So here I am.

A little background - I’m in my 40’s.

I lost my job a few years ago and decided to start my own business in the wake of losing my job.
It didn’t turn out so well, so I got another job where I work now. Meanwhile, I have no life savings left.

I work as a manager - just one notch above the cubicle (yes, I worked UP to this misery)

I’m in the process of starting my own ventures. It’s rough putting in 10-12 hours a day at the job dealing with ungrateful pricks coming at me from both directions and then going home and trying to find the energy to work on and for myself.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve gotten some good experience in the last 10 years doing what I do, but I’m tired of making money for someone else when I can be doing it for myself.

I’ve found some strategies that work pretty well that keep me going, but I sometimes ask myself if I really have the ability and drive to do this. I think I do...

I have set goals, I have made plans to reach those goals, but most days I just don’t have the energy to take the action towards those goals. 10-12 hours doing what I do drains me mentally.

On top of that, I’m constantly questioning the quality of my work. I tend to be a perfectionist so I’ll completely trash something if it doesn’t fit my ideal, and then I start on something else completely unrelated. I'm trying to figure out how to break this cycle...

It’s tough. I’m not here for motivation - motivation doesn’t last very long for me.

What I am looking for here is some inspiration, valuable lessons, quality interactions, and some accountability to myself.

And I'm more than happy to contribute my expertise where it's needed. AMA!

Thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to forum, you're in the right place!

Most of came here after reading The Millionaire Fastlane and now we're excited to see MJ's new book.

Make sure to check out the Gold Threads. The main philosophy you'll see here on a daily basis is "solve needs, don't chase money".

Look forward to seeing your contributions.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I’m in my 40’s.

I’m in the process of starting my own ventures. It’s rough putting in 10-12 hours a day at the job dealing with ungrateful pricks coming at me from both directions and then going home and trying to find the energy to work on and for myself.

I have set goals, I have made plans to reach those goals, but most days I just don’t have the energy to take the action towards those goals. 10-12 hours doing what I do drains me mentally.

Welcome! You are in the right place. I can relate to everything above.

Make sure you pick up a copy of "The Millionaire Fastlane " as well.

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Hey!

People call me Mike

I just found UNSCRIPTED last week on Amazon. It had good reviews so I picked up a copy. I haven’t finished it yet but I’m happy with what I’ve read so far, so I figured I’d check out the Fastlane Forum that’s mentioned in the book.

So here I am.

I lost my job a few years ago and decided to start my own business in the wake of losing my job.
It didn’t turn out so well, so I got another job where I work now. Meanwhile, I have no life savings left.

I work as a manager - just one notch above the cubicle (yes, I worked UP to this misery)

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve gotten some good experience in the last 10 years doing what I do, but I’m tired of making money for someone else when I can be doing it for myself.

I’ve found some strategies that work pretty well that keep me going, but I sometimes ask myself if I really have the ability and drive to do this. I think I do...

On top of that, I’m constantly questioning the quality of my work. I tend to be a perfectionist so I’ll completely trash something if it doesn’t fit my ideal, and then I start on something else completely unrelated. I'm trying to figure out how to break this cycle...

It’s tough. I’m not here for motivation - motivation doesn’t last very long for me.

What I am looking for here is some inspiration, valuable lessons, quality interactions, and some accountability to myself.

Thanks for reading!

i've found sometimes in the process of making money for others you learn to double or triple the money you can earn for yourself

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome to the forum. That intro sounds eerily like my own experience. Glad you're here.

Perhaps it would help to clearly identify your "why". For some it's the Lambo, for other's it's travel, for some it's freedom from the 9-5 time/money trade. What's yours?

I'm actually craving the financial freedom. I basically want my FU money. I want to do what I want, when I want, where I want.

I think ultimately though, it's to prove to myself that I can do it. Ya know, "because it's there"

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
I'm actually craving the financial freedom. I basically want my FU money. I want to do what I want, when I want, where I want.

I think ultimately though, it's to prove to myself that I can do it. Ya know, "because it's there"
...I like you already.;)

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
So you're not sure if you have the ability and drive to do it?

Google 'Howling Dog Story'.

And welcome!

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal
So you're not sure if you have the ability and drive to do it?

Google 'Howling Dog Story'.

And welcome!
Thanks!

I know I have the ability and drive. Just too many "life" obligations and distractions right now.

I've been waking up at 4am every day to work on the things I need to do. I'm "paying myself first" (so to speak) with my time and slowly building up the momentum so I can walk away eventually.

I'll check out the Howling Dog story. Thanks!

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Perfection is an excuse we use internally when we don't think we're good enough. It's a way to let yourself off the hook so that you don't have to potentially withstand negative feedback and criticism.

Just challenge yourself to release something, put a price on it and see what happens.

The worst case scenario is that people don't buy it, but the reality is when you're not putting your stuff out there, they're not buying it anyway.

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China
Hey!

People call me Mike

So here I am.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the Hive!
You sound like me a few months ago.

This is how I've made some significant changes in my life.

WORKING LONG HOURS:
When I first started my current job as a digital marketing manager for a 'startup', I was working 12-hour days and coming in on weekends.
Then...
I started to want a life outside of work.

So I started taking dance classes (the greatest love of my life - present and future) which forced me to leave work "early" and NOT work on weekends.
Next thing you know, leaving "early" became a habit.
A healthy one.

And it spread across the office, because others started to take note of my behavior and replicating it.
Not sorry.

And because I was leaving "early" I became damn good at organizing my schedule so I could get the majority of my work done.
I became good at figuring out what was 'urgent', and what was 'important'.
Only when I'm on deadline might I work a 12+ shift plus a weekend. But that's few, and far in-between.

If you're working 10-12 hours and you hate your position, find a new one, where you work 8.
OR organize yourself where you have whittled out the BS "work" that goes on through the workday, so now you've accomplished your REAL tasks, and it's been a productive 8 hr workday.
  • I like to avoid meetings and communicate with people via Slack. It saves SO MUCH MORE time and it keeps you on track.
  • I offset mundane tasks to a virtual assistant on Fiverr (this saves me HOURS)
  • I sit down, usually the night before, and write down the 3 things I'm avoiding doing (e.g., writing a ridiculously long blog post) and I make sure it gets done that day. I SHOULD do it at the beginning of the day, but sometimes I'll push it to the mid/end of the day because...I'm avoiding it. Duh.
But if you can start being effective and efficient, you'll win.

STRATEGIES VS. CONTINUOUS RESULTS
I would sift through Neil Patel, Noah Kagan, Ramit Sethi, and so many other successful entrepreneurs blogs where they would display their strategies and I could get my quick win - but nothing that I could go back in, day in and day out, and commit to that long term growth.

Until...
I started to pay for it.

If money is a little tight and you have decided to invest in yourself - you are going to squeeze EVERY. SINGLE. QUESTION. you can, out of the service, so that you get the ULTIMATE experience and come out the other side, confident in your new expertise.
I don't give a fuq if it's a "stupid question"! I'm asking!
I don't give a fuq if it looks like I'm "being needy"! I'm trying to become the goddamn star student of the lot!
Fuq parties! I have studying to do and case studies to watch.

SETTING GOALS
I'm such a visual creature. I need to be able to see the progress I've made, all in one place.

Right now I'm doing promotional work for my personal blog. I have to send at least ONE custom email out to a brand/blogger/vlogger per day.
That custom email can take me 30-45 minutes, btw. I'm thoughtful like that ;c)

I took a piece of paper and pen and made a grid. It has 90 boxes. All labeled with it's number.
Every day when I send out my email, I "X" out a box.

For WHAT-EV-ER reason, i'm obsessed with not "breaking this chain", as Seinfeld said. And now I'm 19 straight days in, going on 20.

So you could get an accountability partner to slap you into focus, or use Stickk.com, or use an app, or you can get a piece of paper & a pen and do one micro task that makes a difference every single day.

I'M A PERFECTIONIST
You're not a perfectionist, you're procrastinating.
You're making excuses to not launch.
You're making excuses to not do the work.

I told this to myself, and now I'm telling you.
Put it out there. Start. Promote yourself until your face melts off. Get feedback. Build on top of that. Repeat.
When you stop giving a fuq what others think, you will ALLOW YOURSELF to do amazing work.

Again, welcome to the Hive! #digitalhighfive

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Perfection is an excuse we use internally when we don't think we're good enough. It's a way to let yourself off the hook so that you don't have to potentially withstand negative feedback and criticism.

Just challenge yourself to release something, put a price on it and see what happens.

The worst case scenario is that people don't buy it, but the reality is when you're not putting your stuff out there, they're not buying it anyway.

you are so smart thats a totally different perspective on it, its so true we're afraid of people saying no but we're not even making money just because we're afraid of what they'll say

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hey!

People call me Mike

So here I am.

Thanks for reading!

You are one of us.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Pay attention to the feedback loop in UNSCRIPTED as well as relative value. Your perfectionism could be a benefit in this area.

Welcome to the forum -- hope the book is everything you need it to be!

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal
Welcome to the Hive!
You sound like me a few months ago.

This is how I've made some significant changes in my life.

WORKING LONG HOURS:
When I first started my current job as a digital marketing manager for a 'startup', I was working 12-hour days and coming in on weekends.
Then...
I started to want a life outside of work.

So I started taking dance classes (the greatest love of my life - present and future) which forced me to leave work "early" and NOT work on weekends.
Next thing you know, leaving "early" became a habit.
A healthy one.

And it spread across the office, because others started to take note of my behavior and replicating it.
Not sorry.

And because I was leaving "early" I became damn good at organizing my schedule so I could get the majority of my work done.
I became good at figuring out what was 'urgent', and what was 'important'.
Only when I'm on deadline might I work a 12+ shift plus a weekend. But that's few, and far in-between.

If you're working 10-12 hours and you hate your position, find a new one, where you work 8.
OR organize yourself where you have whittled out the BS "work" that goes on through the workday, so now you've accomplished your REAL tasks, and it's been a productive 8 hr workday.
  • I like to avoid meetings and communicate with people via Slack. It saves SO MUCH MORE time and it keeps you on track.
  • I offset mundane tasks to a virtual assistant on Fiverr (this saves me HOURS)
  • I sit down, usually the night before, and write down the 3 things I'm avoiding doing (e.g., writing a ridiculously long blog post) and I make sure it gets done that day. I SHOULD do it at the beginning of the day, but sometimes I'll push it to the mid/end of the day because...I'm avoiding it. Duh.
But if you can start being effective and efficient, you'll win.

STRATEGIES VS. CONTINUOUS RESULTS
I would sift through Neil Patel, Noah Kagan, Ramit Sethi, and so many other successful entrepreneurs blogs where they would display their strategies and I could get my quick win - but nothing that I could go back in, day in and day out, and commit to that long term growth.

Until...
I started to pay for it.

If money is a little tight and you have decided to invest in yourself - you are going to squeeze EVERY. SINGLE. QUESTION. you can, out of the service, so that you get the ULTIMATE experience and come out the other side, confident in your new expertise.
I don't give a fuq if it's a "stupid question"! I'm asking!
I don't give a fuq if it looks like I'm "being needy"! I'm trying to become the goddamn star student of the lot!
Fuq parties! I have studying to do and case studies to watch.

SETTING GOALS
I'm such a visual creature. I need to be able to see the progress I've made, all in one place.

Right now I'm doing promotional work for my personal blog. I have to send at least ONE custom email out to a brand/blogger/vlogger per day.
That custom email can take me 30-45 minutes, btw. I'm thoughtful like that ;c)

I took a piece of paper and pen and made a grid. It has 90 boxes. All labeled with it's number.
Every day when I send out my email, I "X" out a box.

For WHAT-EV-ER reason, i'm obsessed with not "breaking this chain", as Seinfeld said. And now I'm 19 straight days in, going on 20.

So you could get an accountability partner to slap you into focus, or use Stickk.com, or use an app, or you can get a piece of paper & a pen and do one micro task that makes a difference every single day.

I'M A PERFECTIONIST
You're not a perfectionist, you're procrastinating.
You're making excuses to not launch.
You're making excuses to not do the work.

I told this to myself, and now I'm telling you.
Put it out there. Start. Promote yourself until your face melts off. Get feedback. Build on top of that. Repeat.
When you stop giving a fuq what others think, you will ALLOW YOURSELF to do amazing work.

Again, welcome to the Hive! #digitalhighfive

Thanks @Gigi Rodgers

Lots to digest there. I appreciate the ideas! And thanks for the welcome!

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 24, 2017
Spain
Hey!

People call me Mike

So here I am.

Thanks for reading!

I can totally relate to you! I am in a very similar situation, working in a very demanding job that I don't enjoy and started with my venture on the side in any free time I have.

It is very difficult to find the energy but it is not impossible!

It seems you have the motivation and you are in the right path to achieve your goal! I wish you the best :)

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hmmm from reading your post i wonder if it's really lack of energy or maybe fear?

For me I was so worried of not doing a good job and ripping people off, or being asked for reference's experience. It delayed any real action. I found the best thing you can do is act, communicate, manage expectations and do the best you can do. The worst that can happen is you find out you can't deliver what someone wants or b) You mess it up, and then do your damnedest to make it right as fast as you can however you can.

I also have an OCD perfectionist streak, instead of you worrying about the quality of your work let others. If it's good work they will tell you and be happy, if not you will get the complaint.

I'm amazed at how happy people are with things that are 99.99% right.

Also instead of plans.. maybe break down into smaller tasks that you can do.. take out the planning to think about what you need to do and make a list of tasks you need to do..

Hope it helps..

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Even before getting to FU money is being able to say FU because you have the ability to bring home the bacon.

When you're working on an escape plan then you can also put up with a lot more cr@p at work ... you can just rise above it.

Welcome to the forum. You're going to fit in just fine.

What's the current obstacle you're working to overcome?

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal
What's the current obstacle you're working to overcome?

Such a simple question. Not an easy one to answer.

When it comes down to it, I'm my biggest obstacle..... by far.

After pondering your question several minutes, I realized that I'm constantly waiting for approval to begin. Not from anybody in particular though. It's always been like that for me though - I guess it is how I was brought up.

Wow! That hits hard now that I'm thinking about it. I feel like I've been (metaphorically) told (my whole life) to go sit in the corner (or timeout, or whatever) and I'm waiting for an "authority figure" to tell me it's ok to come out.

UGH!
I'm a bit nauseated now

But that was a worthwhile exercise. Thanks for that!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

After pondering your question several minutes, I realized that I'm constantly waiting for approval to begin. Not from anybody in particular though. It's always been like that for me though - I guess it is how I was brought up.

Wow! That hits hard now that I'm thinking about it. I feel like I've been (metaphorically) told (my whole life) to go sit in the corner (or timeout, or whatever) and I'm waiting for an "authority figure" to tell me it's ok to come out.

UGH!
I'm a bit nauseated now

You are hereby approved.
Start.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

UGH!
I'm a bit nauseated now

Hmmm... very self-aware and honest of you.

@Vigilante gave the best advice.

I'm reminded of this thread that might help you:

Bludgeoner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
538%
Jun 16, 2017
SoCal

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.