The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should I be getting paid?

CLE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Feb 7, 2016
I'm currently not self employed but will be working on it as time goes on. I'm a salesman for a small scale business that gets paid hourly rate and a very small portion of net profits on my sales. The thing is the business is so small I do ordering, warehousing, inventory, janitorial, etc therefore I'm not always on the sales floor and at that point the owner is doing the sales since he is there too. Its not like anyone else is going to be doing the other duties for me but when it comes time for the yearly employee performance review I'm rated solely on the net profit sales that I've brought in. This actually doesn't sit well with me even though I do good with my sales. The fact remains that I spend several hours a day doing other task in the back so to judge based on sales only seems not fair should I say? My pay isn't terrible but there is room for improvement as well. When my review comes around again I'd like to have something to counter it with other than just doing nothing. I am right or wrong here? So far I have said nothing but I think this next time around I should bring it up. What is your thoughts here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You are a typical employee working in a typical job for a typical employer and you will take whatever raise they give you. They don't really care if you stay there or quit, so your choices are to eat the shit that they dish up or leave.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I worked something out years ago...

... that £100/month extra in my hand was the equivalent of a £2k annual payrise. (i.e. after 40% taxes and national insurance/stamps, I'd end up taking home £1,200 of that £2,000.)

So a £2k payrise gives you an extra £25/week in your hand. Woohoo!

Ask yourself:

Would you be ecstatic with a £2k annual raise?

Is it worth prostrating yourself at the employee altar for an extra £25 a week in your hand?

I'm no belittling your situation at all. I've had jobs, and I've taken them to reskill and/or keep the wolf from the door.

I just never bothered with annual reviews and trying to squeeze an extra few K annual salary out of the company.

I'd either move to another company and go for a £10k+ rise (still only £500/mth extra in your hand), or I'd be planning my great escape anyway.

My advice would be to see if you can do a great job on the sales floor so they want to keep you there throughout the day. Not only will you improve your sales skills doing so, but you'll be better able to look the business owner in the eye.

Then start digging your tunnel out of there.

A few % points payrise here and there means jack...

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.