The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How quickly should I pay down my rental mortgages?

GetRichODT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Feb 8, 2015
One of my goals has been early retirement. 2 of the rentals I own are going to help achieve that goal. Here's a quick summary of each:

1) 30 year mortage, 4.125%, $1,350 / month rent, 30% equity

2) 30 year mortgage, 3.75%, $1,595 / month rent, 45% equity

I've owned both of them for < 4 years. I could pay off both in the next 2 years and own them free and clear.

What I'm trying to determine is how quickly should I pay off rentals. My goal is to cash flow gross $10,000 per month from my rentals. That coupled with other investments, 4% rule, etc will allow me to retire young at a level I'm comfortable with and allow me the time to focus on creating value through ventures other than selling my soul to corporate america.

Obviously, these 2 prroperties aren't going to gross me $10,000 per months, but if these 2 were paid off and i had 4 more like it (paid off), i'd be grossing about $10,000.

Thoughts on how best to decide when to pay down more quickly, especially with the markets generally being at new highs these days?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
If you pay them off earlier then you will have less cash to buy the other 4 properties that help you achieve your goal.

I would say this is a simple math problem.

If you are earning a yield of anything greater than 4%, don't pay off your mortgage early and continue to use the leverage to add properties.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

ArtRyumin

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 12, 2017
New Zealand
As with mentioned above about not paying them off I also consider your risk. Currently your equity % is your risk and the bank has the remaining. If you take more equity you also take more risk.
You'll have a better opportunity to get another positive geared rental if you keen that money available for acquisitions

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Using actual mortgages, you might run up against lending limits depending on your income. In that case, the other properties might have to go under commercial loans (I would do that anyway, no fees other than appraisal and cheaper rates), and you might have to refi the current under commercial loans as well, depending on your lenders rules and your debt to income ratio.

I ran into that exact problem, where my lender would only lend me more if I put them all under commercial loans with the related cash flow pro forma, etc...

I would not be in a hurry to pay off loans with interest rates the lowest they've been in our lifetime.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.