The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How NOT to start an e-commerce business

Dejan M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 9, 2008
Slovenia, Europe
I think this could be more of a :smx4: mistake than a serious one, especially as I was still "toying" with business and had no real plans yet.

But anyway ...

Five years ago when I was 18 I started importing plastic car models from Japan and started selling them to my friends. I thought I could sell more so I invested about 1200$ for stock, made calculations, set prices and started selling on different car forums. Soon I had a simple webshop and was selling through email. I was doing this for about 6 months when I started running out of money. I had no idea why as at least to my calculations I should be making money and even having some left. So I borrowed some money and fortunately made some money on december that year.

I soon got an accountant which helped me with my books. I still remember what he said when he finished my annual report - "it would be better to be home sitting than doing this". And he was right. I was making about 10% on 200$ monthly revenue which didn´t even cover the costs. Fortunately I changed my suppliers and I raised the margin to 50-100%. The profits grew but I had too little capital to buy more stock. I sold the business last year for peanuts.

I think it was last year when I checked my excel calculations from my first year. The mistake was with calculating shipping - I knew that the costs of the handling and shipping were about half of the whole amount. But instead of multiplying x2 for final costs I wrote x1,5. So instead of 50% I calculated the shipping cost me 30% of the whole amount. A simple mistake in excel cost me about 1 year in losses.

Lessons:
- Check your calculations! :rofl:
- When something is going wrong, stop and check what is it and correct it.
- Hire a proffessional to help you with accounting.
- Don´t start a store with less than 10.000$ prepared for stock.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.