The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HOW NOT TO S*CK AT TIME MANAGEMENT/SCHEDULING IF YOU ARE AN AUTHOR?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

TDWorld

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 2, 2016
I'm a writer and would like to know how you guys prioritize both your writing and social media along the day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Here's how I prioritize writing and social media:

I write every single day. I spend zero time on social media.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Probably the best productivity advice is still Seinfeld's "Don't break the chain"

".....He told me to get a big wall calendar that has a whole year on one page and hang it on a prominent wall. The next step was to get a big red magic marker.

He said for each day that I do my task of writing, I get to put a big red X over that day. "After a few days you'll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You'll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain."

Taken from Lifehacker.com http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret

If you combine that with Brian Tracy's Eat That Frog, "i.e. make writing your first priority every day,!then you should have it cracked.

fresh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Apr 28, 2017
NJ
I sit in my chair at my desk and write. Period. I know I need X amount of words, and I dig in until I reach that many for the day. For me, it's consistency. It's my job, like everything else. I treat it that way. I've trained my family not to call me at certain times of the day. They know, that's my time to work. If I can't get the words flowing, I find another way to use the time relating to my books. Outline, ask "what if"....ask "what's the worst thing that can happen right now" in the story. One thing I'm fond of is sprinting. I work for 20 mins, take a break. Work for 20 mins, take a break. The trick is knowing that when the break is over, you work...building patterns is crucial. The break is like 10 minutes, not two hours.

I'm not big on social media, but if I need to do something, I do it after I'm done writing. Writing first. Writing is what pays the bills. Put your bottom in the chair, hands on keyboard/or dictation on, and go. Period. If you don't make it number one priority, you'll spin your wheels and find reasons not to. Make it a priority, because it's important to you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestU591a

Oh, I love such topics! A year ago I became a part of time management business/area of business. And in the beginning, I hated it. But I always had that thought at the back of my head that if I want to establish my own business (of course, we're talking about being an author/writer) I NEED to stick to a certain timeframe. And so I started implementing time management techniques, including time tracking software. Then I figured I can't work without task and time management software as well as I love tools and I think they tremendously enhance my work. So I use Hey.Space, TimeCamp, sometimes Slack, and Trello. I think these are the most popular but most effective.

So based on these tools I can estimate time needed for my work, and, as mentioned above, prioritze, organize my work, cut off from distractions, and just write :)

How do you guys organize your work?

I hope this conversation is still active! I'd love to discuss this topic more.

G

GuestU591a

Oh, I love such topics! A year ago I became a part of time management business/area of business. And in the beginning, I hated it. But I always had that thought at the back of my head that if I want to establish my own business (of course, we're talking about being an author/writer) I NEED to stick to a certain timeframe. And so I started implementing time management techniques, including time tracking software. Then I figured I can't work without task and time management software as well as I love tools and I think they tremendously enhance my work. So I use Hey.Space, TimeCamp, sometimes Slack, and Trello. I think these are the most popular but most effective.

So based on these tools I can estimate time needed for my work, and, as mentioned above, prioritze, organize my work, cut off from distractions, and just write :)

How do you guys organize your work?

I hope this conversation is still active! I'd love to discuss this topic more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.