The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How my Best Friend and Business Partner turned into my worst Enemy

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey everyone,

For the sake of protecting myself as well as my ex-best friend/business partner, I won't be mentioning my name or his.

Let's just call him Bill.

Bill and I grew up in the same neighborhood, were best friends, etc, etc.

After college I started a business with another friend. Because Bill wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life, I let him into our new business world, and started mentoring him and teaching him everything that I had learned, and more.

Over the years, Bill became partners in a few business ventures (my partner and I would fund the ventures, and Bill would help run them and simply dedicate his time to the ventures).

At one point we found Bill lying, and trying to steal a client behind our back. My partner didn't want to work with him anymore, but since Bill was a close friend, we had multiple discussions and ultimately I let him continue working with us.

After a while the businesses weren't making Bill enough to support his lifestyle, so he went and got a job (one I helped him find, prepped him for the interview, and he ultimately was hired for, ending up with a nice fat salary in a location many would only dream of working in).

Once he began working for the company, his productivity for our businesses went south, and while selling off the final properties Bill was a part of, we had a bit of a falling out, due to Bill feeling that he was never appreciated enough, wasn't properly compensated for the effort and time he put into our ventures, etc. He also had a lot of built up anger towards my partner. He bottled up a lot of emotions over the years, and it seems like it just started all coming out.

Simply put, we stopped talking for months, but prior to the final weeks of not talking any longer, I started a new business with my partner.

Fast forward many months and one random day I was doing some research and came across a new competitor. I decided to contact their support number to get some insight into their customer support, and like a freakin 90 mph fastball to the gut, it's Bill's voice on the other end of the call.

I couldn't believe it. I was sick to my stomach, shocked, confused.

I hung up, tried to process what had happened, and had a talk with my business partner.

We knew he couldn't have done this on his own. Of course I had taught him a lot, but he just didn't have the business acumen to actually pull this off by himself.

Without getting too much into detail, our main employee (lets name him Peter) of the business had worked for us for many years, including ventures that Bill was a part of. Peter worked remotely from home, lived paycheck to paycheck and isn't a businessman whatsoever.

We found out that Bill and Peter had conspired behind our backs (starting before our falling out, so there was numerous times that I was hanging out with Bill still as good friends, or so I thought, in my own home) and Peter was feeding Bill EVERYTHING that he knew about our business, including know-how and proprietary information, from the very day we started, to where we are today.

All stemming from greed, built up hatred and stupidity. Just because you can see revenue numbers of a business doesn't mean that's what the business profits, or that it will be simple to replicate!

We gave both of them multiple chances to come clean and admit it, but they denied everything.

Peter quit, and that's pretty much that.

Although it killed me inside, I knew something had to be done about this.

And being the person I am, the last thing I want is someone hating me for the rest of their lives, or trying to do any harm to me and/or my family or my business(es). Clearly I have no idea who the real Bill is and what he is capable of doing.

What would you have done in my shoes at this point? And please don't just say "I'd sue the shit out of him"...

For further clarity

-Bill is not an immediate threat to my business (he moves slow, and doesn't know every facet of the business, and will have many hurdles to jump that he may or may not be able to get past). On the other end, if he does get past the bumps in the road, he can become a main competitor, all because he was spoon-fed my companies know-how from hundreds of hours of hard work and figuring out, plus all the money spent to get things to where they are.

-Although Bill has a nice job now, he's not super loaded, making around $100k-$125k give or take annually now

-had I not called the competitor website number, I most likely would’ve never found out that It was Bills company, or at least not for a long time, and Peter would’ve continued to feed him all of the info needed to be successful

-no contracts were ever signed, not between us and Bill or between us and Peter, we pretty much started from the ground up together and had good faith/trust in place, obviously a major learning lesson here

-Peter is definitely going to struggle to make ends meet, as without us supporting him like we have for many years, its going to be hardest for him to get back on his feet. His girlfriend also has an illness and we brought her on board years ago as well and helped support her too. She's been fully involved in this entire ordeal as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Read your story from top to bottom.

What would be the 3 most important advises you would give to someone considering partnering with a close friend?

Don't do it.

If you do, prepare to lose a friend.

So ask yourself, Is it worth your friendship?

Would love to hear your answer to my question within the post that I asked, and if anyone else would be willing to share their opinion based on the story. Thanks.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Read your story from top to bottom.

What would be the 3 most important advises you would give to someone considering partnering with a close friend?
I read it all too....

More importantly, how much stuff do you think you should allow employees to know?

Enough to run their jobs? Or a bit more to allow more productivity?
The first employees do tend to be more partners than employees...

@persistencyiskey
I'm feeling a little bitter at your experience...
You have my sympathies.
I, too, do not feel that friendships should be sacrificed in partnerships.

We need to understand that not everyone understands Fastlane and it's values of not F*cking people about. Very sad, but that's that.

You said that you helped him get a job, pretty much 100% of the process...that rang some kind of alarm bell.

Could it have been an indicator, a warning sign of some sort?

Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Yeah... thats why non compete agreements and non disclosure aggrements exist. FYI

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
What would you have done in my shoes at this point? And please don't just say "I'd sue the shit out of him"...

Thanks for willing to be so forthright in your post. It sounds like you're really experiencing a lot of grief right now. Dealing with a betrayal like this can be a real challenge.

For what it's worth, here's my answer to your question. It may sound out there, but give it a chance.

Do nothing.

When you notice thoughts come up--and the, undoubtedly, strong feelings linked to those thoughts--about this person and what he's done to you, just observe those thoughts.

There's no need to push them away, judge them, or dive further into them. Just observe the thoughts. Eventually, if you do this, over time, those thoughts--and the strong feelings--will diminish to the point where they arise infrequently, if at all.

At that point, you'll feel more at peace with your situation--and more forgiving of this person. You'll also be in a much better place to take action, if that's what feels like the right thing to do. You may very well find yourself simply wishing that person well and moving on with your life.

In short, just observe your thoughts. The rest will take care of itself.

ironman150

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 22, 2017
GREEN BAY WI
And being the person I am, the last thing I want is someone hating me for the rest of their lives, or trying to do any harm to me and/or my family or my business(es). Clearly I have no idea who the real Bill is and what he is capable of doing.

unfortunately both Bill and Pete are going to hate you. Pete for getting caught and Bill because it sounds like his success won't be on par with yours. Just be ready for it. Like @Readerly suggested, do nothing. You have no legal papers to stop what happened (it sounds like it anyway) so there is nothing you can do. Innovate your business if you can, Bill's will fall behind and i'm sure he will have to close his doors sooner than later.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I really don't see much you can do but put all your focus and energy into the business at hand and just crush it. Thereby making his "me-too" business of such insignificance that they will die a quiet and slow death. I disagree with the advice about just forgetting about him. Always be mindful of where they stand. You should do this with any competitor. Even more so with a competitor that has inside knowledge of your business secrets and IP. Don't harbour hate or resentment against them. Forgive them but don't forget them.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time out of your day/lives to read my post, and provide me with your honest feedback. It's greatly appreciated!

@ - ZF LEE - Peter knew as much as he needed to, in order to do his job efficiently. Did he might know a little more due to our long term relationship? Maybe. Either way, even if a non compete was in place, he still technically could do whatever he wants and could've still ended up doing what he did, although I would've had more leverage legally in this scenario.

@ - Envision - Thanks for your two cents. As mentioned above, these agreements can only do so much. Yea it may scare them and make them hesitate, but at the end of the day the agreement doesn't prevent them from taking whatever actions and decisions they choose to. It's definitely a learning experience, and something that will change in my business operations for the future.

@ - Readerly - I appreciate your input and approach. I've read a lot of spiritual books and the art of letting go, etc. I understand your opinion, and I do agree that in time all things will pass. It's just so hard right now, the grief, the confusion, the why, etc, etc.

@ - ironman150 - Yep, they definitely already have hated me for quite some time, although they don't truly have any legitimate reasons to. Bill definitely has been envious of me throughout our lives, so in retrospect all of this happening isn't a complete shocker, but it still hurts like hell! Like you said, his business will fall behind, if he's even able to stay in business, so that definitely makes me feel a bit better.

@ - AllenCrawley - I agree with everything you said. I don't have any hatred or resentment, it's just not who I am. If anything, I feel guilty and sad/sorry for both of them that they could even consider doing something like this to me.

What it comes down to, is that right now it's extremely hard for me to stomach what's happened. On the one hand, I'm torn, I lost a dear friend (or at least I thought they were) and someone who I mentored and helped guide throughout the many years of our life. I can't fathom why he would do this to me, of all people, and my concern is that I might not ever find out the reason why, so it's something I'm trying to cope with, accept and move on from.

On the other hand, I'm the type of person that gets fueled from this. It's what wakes me up in the morning and makes me want to put extreme focus and action into my businesses, not just to grow them and give these idiots the middle finger, but just for myself, to prove to myself that I can be the best me possible, and that no matter what happens in life, no matter how hard it is when the going gets tough, that I WILL get back up on my feet and motivate myself to succeed and thrive.

It might just be something I'm born with, or a mindset I've crafted from many years of reading and shaping/re-wiring my thought process, but one real learning lesson and a key piece of advice I'd like to give to anyone reading this, and anyone who has been in a similar situation and/or a scenario where they were beat to the ground, is that you CAN get back up, and you CAN overcome life's shitty obstacles, it's all about YOU and your attitude and mindset toward each and every situation you're in.

Thanks everyone for your input, would love to keep this thread going if anyone has any other questions or advice!

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Damn, that sucks. I suppose there were some warning signs with Bill throughout the years from your story, but nothing leading up to him basically stealing your business model by using an inside employee.

I guess my questions would be..
- How is this experience going to change the way you do business moving forward? Handling employees, information? contracts?, etc.
- How is this going to impact other friendships? ie: maybe you won't be as trusting moving forward

Idk it's sad because I can relate to you on the level of helping people out. It sucks because you want to help people, especially friends, but in the back of your mind there is always the thought of "is this person going to screw me over? when and how?"

Thanks for sharing. I've contemplated getting into business with friends before and always backed out because I've heard so many stories like this where shit goes down and it ruins that friendship for good.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Hey everyone,

For the sake of protecting myself as well as my ex-best friend/business partner, I won't be mentioning my name or his.

Let's just call him Bill.

Bill and I grew up in the same neighborhood, were best friends, etc, etc.

After college I started a business with another friend. Because Bill wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life, I let him into our new business world, and started mentoring him and teaching him everything that I had learned, and more.

Over the years, Bill became partners in a few business ventures (my partner and I would fund the ventures, and Bill would help run them and simply dedicate his time to the ventures).

At one point we found Bill lying, and trying to steal a client behind our back. My partner didn't want to work with him anymore, but since Bill was a close friend, we had multiple discussions and ultimately I let him continue working with us.

After a while the businesses weren't making Bill enough to support his lifestyle, so he went and got a job (one I helped him find, prepped him for the interview, and he ultimately was hired for, ending up with a nice fat salary in a location many would only dream of working in).

Once he began working for the company, his productivity for our businesses went south, and while selling off the final properties Bill was a part of, we had a bit of a falling out, due to Bill feeling that he was never appreciated enough, wasn't properly compensated for the effort and time he put into our ventures, etc. He also had a lot of built up anger towards my partner. He bottled up a lot of emotions over the years, and it seems like it just started all coming out.

Simply put, we stopped talking for months, but prior to the final weeks of not talking any longer, I started a new business with my partner.

Fast forward many months and one random day I was doing some research and came across a new competitor. I decided to contact their support number to get some insight into their customer support, and like a freakin 90 mph fastball to the gut, it's Bill's voice on the other end of the call.

I couldn't believe it. I was sick to my stomach, shocked, confused.

I hung up, tried to process what had happened, and had a talk with my business partner.

We knew he couldn't have done this on his own. Of course I had taught him a lot, but he just didn't have the business acumen to actually pull this off by himself.

Without getting too much into detail, our main employee (lets name him Peter) of the business had worked for us for many years, including ventures that Bill was a part of. Peter worked remotely from home, lived paycheck to paycheck and isn't a businessman whatsoever.

We found out that Bill and Peter had conspired behind our backs (starting before our falling out, so there was numerous times that I was hanging out with Bill still as good friends, or so I thought, in my own home) and Peter was feeding Bill EVERYTHING that he knew about our business, including know-how and proprietary information, from the very day we started, to where we are today.

All stemming from greed, built up hatred and stupidity. Just because you can see revenue numbers of a business doesn't mean that's what the business profits, or that it will be simple to replicate!

We gave both of them multiple chances to come clean and admit it, but they denied everything.

Peter quit, and that's pretty much that.

Although it killed me inside, I knew something had to be done about this.

For further clarity

-Bill is not an immediate threat to my business (he moves slow, and doesn't know every facet of the business, and will have many hurdles to jump that he may or may not be able to get past). On the other end, if he does get past the bumps in the road, he can become a main competitor, all because he was spoon-fed my companies know-how from hundreds of hours of hard work and figuring out, plus all the money spent to get things to where they are.

-Although Bill has a nice job now, he's not super loaded, making around $100k-$125k give or take annually now

-had I not called the competitor website number, I most likely would’ve never found out that It was Bills company, or at least not for a long time, and Peter would’ve continued to feed him all of the info needed to be successful

-no contracts were ever signed, not between us and Bill or between us and Peter, we pretty much started from the ground up together and had good faith/trust in place, obviously a major learning lesson here

-Peter is definitely going to struggle to make ends meet, as without us supporting him like we have for many years, its going to be hardest for him to get back on his feet. His girlfriend also has an illness and we brought her on board years ago as well and helped support her too. She's been fully involved in this entire ordeal as well.

You sound like a teenage girl. Who cares? Your losing focus over nothing.. Be so good at what you do that no one would even dream of trying to compete, I can almost guarantee your not that good.

Good luck

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
@AdamMaxum - Definitely going to have every employee sign agreements so that they at least are aware that violating the terms can result in legal action being taken. It's hard to prevent someone from doing something if they choose to do it, but at least this will be in the back of their minds. In regards to trust, yea I definitely think it's going to be tough to really trust anyone moving forward, or at least thats the way I feel right now.

@458 - Maybe you didn't read the thread, but we are talking about my best friend for close to 20 years. If you were in my shoes and this didn't sting for you, then you must not be human or you severely lack basic emotions/feelings. Nobody's losing any focus, if anything I'm more focused and motivated than ever before. Also, your other statement "Be so good at what you do that no one would even dream of trying to compete, I can almost guarantee your not that good." is easier said that done. Maybe in some businesses/industries this is possible, but not in all. Nevertheless, thanks for your two cents!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I've had my best friend as my business partner since the mid 90's. What we did was different than most do. I had my 'core' business that made my money and he had his 'core' business that made him money. All of our other businesses have been together as partners. It's our 'fun' money that we make together. We've had a few businesses that failed.... dropped them and moved on and we've had a few that were a success. But we always have 1 business that each has of their own. But as a general rule, I warn everyone to not go in to business with anyone, especially a friend. If you could see the bottom of the ocean you would see millions of ships that have sank.... partnerSHIPS!

I have had workers that stole accounts. That's just a part of business sometimes. At first it always made me so mad I wanted to go beat their a$$. But I learned to let it go, and the faster I let it go, the better. I understand this is your friend but you chose to put business between you. In my books.... it's business and apparently he saw it the same way. That's what the world has taught me....

I don't think Bill will ever be your competition because he only knows what you taught him. He probably won't know what to do in the future when things change, even if they just change a little. He might not close shop but he will never be ahead of the game like you will be.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey everyone,

Now you know. Get up. Brush yourself off. It's better that you did make that call so you know who, what, when and where. The why of it all really doesn't matter. Keep moving faster than he does. You'll out distance him to the point where he'll never keep up or catch up. His job is your great ace in the hole. He's not going to get too far out of his comfort zone. No matter how much he knows about your business, he's not going to apply that knowledge with much zeal. He's already shown you his basic character and he sure can't carry the torch very far.
Forgive yourself. Move on. What did you learn from all of this? That's the real meaning of this experience.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Bill sounds like the kind of guy who would happily get distracted by some other newer, shinier objects if you were to discreetly arrange for them to be dangled in front of him....

GabrielDC

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 26, 2016
Bill sounds like the kind of guy who would happily get distracted by some other newer, shinier objects if you were to discreetly arrange for them to be dangled in front of him....
That's genius..
Givin him a 'cookie bait' like a fake customer would be funny.
Imagine a narcisistic guy spending shittons of money because of an incoming big deal, and then losing everything because the deal is fake.
Oh, I'd love to see that.

Same shit happened to me, I put a lot (for me) of money in a business with one of my best friends and 'ex'.
She ended up choosing the easy way working for someone else, and I'm here alone holding my flute, starting all over again.

Ofc I don't reccomend my previous suggestion, but some people just deserve this kind of lesson, just not by 'Us' smart and focused people.

(sorry for bad eng)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Peter knew as much as he needed to, in order to do his job efficiently. Did he might know a little more due to our long term relationship? Maybe. Either way, even if a non compete was in place, he still technically could do whatever he wants and could've still ended up doing what he did, although I would've had more leverage legally in this scenario.
There are ways to go around agreements and legal frameworks.

For example, I was hearing this from some business guy.
You can sign a contract of sorts to prevent any leakage of info, but if the RELATIVE of the partner is doing the same biz in the same field, there's no grounds to get the bulls charging, because evidence at best, is scarce. And unconfounded too.

If you have good enough contacts, it is possible to circumnavigate around stuff. Effing cheating, but well.... some people have a different sense of morality lol.

Maybe it is better to get a partnership only after a 'solo' win in entrepreneurship? With more solid and stable guys?

I've had my best friend as my business partner since the mid 90's. What we did was different than most do. I had my 'core' business that made my money and he had his 'core' business that made him money. All of our other businesses have been together as partners. It's our 'fun' money that we make together. We've had a few businesses that failed.... dropped them and moved on and we've had a few that were a success. But we always have 1 business that each has of their own.
Yes, this looks like a good scenerio. But its the exception though, since this still involved friends....

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
In my opinion you're doing the right thing by calming down and channeling your energy on making your business better than ever.

Your business served customers in a way that only you could. If they have business sense, they will likely end up in a niche that is different than yours anyway, that is if they have the sense to pivot as any small business must do from time to time.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I really don't see much you can do but put all your focus and energy into the business at hand and just crush it.
Anything else is a waste of time.

I have been through a number of partnerships and business dealings with friends. You can get better at these, but why bother? Although in disagreement with @458 's comment about teenage girls, I agree with his point. It would benefit you to toughen up. Focus on yourself and your business. Let those relations go and don't give them another ounce of your energy.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
There are ways to go around agreements and legal frameworks.

For example, I was hearing this from some business guy.
You can sign a contract of sorts to prevent any leakage of info, but if the RELATIVE of the partner is doing the same biz in the same field, there's no grounds to get the bulls charging, because evidence at best, is scarce. And unconfounded too.

If you have good enough contacts, it is possible to circumnavigate around stuff. Effing cheating, but well.... some people have a different sense of morality lol.

Maybe it is better to get a partnership only after a 'solo' win in entrepreneurship? With more solid and stable guys?

Yes, this looks like a good scenerio. But its the exception though, since this still involved friends....

I've never understood when 2 friends go in to business and that business is their bread and butter. Even when I was young with no life experience I saw where that could go wrong fast! I'd say your case worked out WAY better than most. Almost all of the time they get in to fights and the business usually closes. I always warn people against going in to partnerships and then they think I am 2-faced because I have a partner.

My advice for anyone in the future. If you want to go in to business with a partner, make sure the business is for fun. Don't go in to a partnership if you do not have a business or job that pays you well right now. Do not take out loans for the business. Do not put much money in to the business. If the business ever starts to not be fun.... EXIT! Don't wait over 2 months to exit. Do not make this not fun. This is what has worked for me and my friend through most of our adult life. We've closed down businesses that were making money because they were not fun. I know people aren't going to be as cheap as we are but half of our fun is seeing how less we can put in to a business and see how much profit it can make. Right now we are looking at spending a little less than $1000 to start a business. That's a lot for us to spend on a business. So don't go crazy even if you have money.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've never understood when 2 friends go in to business and that business is their bread and butter. Even when I was young with no life experience I saw where that could go wrong fast!
You never know a person until you go in business with them, rent to them, live with them, or marry them. This all comes down to character. Correctly working a business has be in person's habits, morals and sense of right and wrong. Doing the right thing day after day comes from a person's core beliefs. Yes, contracts sometimes works to control a situation or give direction sometimes -- with a huge BUT! You can't make another person do the right thing -- no matter what your agreement is, either verbal or in writing. They either have it in them, or they don't. Period. End of story.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
May 24, 2017
Spain
Don't do it.

If you do, prepare to lose a friend.

So ask yourself, Is it worth your friendship?

It really sucks what happened to you, but don't let this bad experience forge a general idea that working with friends is always a bad idea.

I went into a venture with friends and, I must admit that despite at first I was reluctant to mix friendship and business, in the end I am so glad I did and could not imagine a better team to work with for that venture. However, it was different from your story, although we were friends what brought us together as a team were the complementary skills each of us had and our vision and work style.

My advice would be separate your feelings from business and don't let your friendship cloud your judgement. For example, establish rules, expectations and write and sign contracts.

While I was reading your story I saw a lot of red flags in the way as it was developing that probably at that time you didn't see because of your friendship. For what you say it seems you brought him into the business because he was your friend not because he had something the company needed.

My advice would be, don't close yourself to doing business with friends anymore. Doing business with friends could be a good idea if it is for the right reasons.

As for your question. I would just do nothing. He betrayed you and he already made you waste a lot of your time on him. Starting a battle with him and his company will consume more of your time and there is nothing to win there. Just eliminate him from your life and keep going, focus in your company and treat his company as any other competitor. If he needed to cheat and feed himself on INSIDERS information from his competitor to operate, I doubt he would be very successful on his own.

Bets of luck!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

So I have a different take on this.... this whole thing has nothing to do with Bill.

This is about you. If you're being honest with yourself here, and I mean really honest, think back to the first decade of your friendship with Bill & look for the red flags. What dishonest activities did you see in his behavior towards others that you dismissed or justified? What people did you see him betray? How? What lies did he tell to others? How was his dating life -was he honest & loyal? How did he talk about other people to you? What other ethically grey activities have you observed him participate in? I guarantee you will find things if you take an honest, purposeful look at your friendship & Bill's life.

Now ask yourself why you allow that kind of behavior within your realm of acceptability in your life? And ask yourself if you want to repeat this scenario later on in life?

the last thing I want is someone hating me for the rest of their lives,

Also, I hate to break it to you, but Bill already hates you. Someone who would do this to another human being already resents them at the core. He's lied to you, betrayed you & denied it all to your face. That is not the actions of a person who respects you or your relationship. Period. Sorry man, but he already hates you.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Wow - thanks for all the responses!!

@minivanman - Kudos to you and your friend, it seems like you guys are doing well for yourselves. I appreciate your feedback, especially the end. I definitely agree here that Bill will never be able to truly compete and ever get ahead of us.

@WJK - Thanks man. I've definitely brushed it off and have been focusing on my business and growth. I've learned more than anything that I'm much more resilient than I thought and that I can use all of the mixed up emotions and energy and channel it into what's important and positive.

@Veloce Grey - Funny you say this, because I was thinking the same thing. Plus, you hit it spot on - he's definitely that type of person.

@GabrielDC - Yikes! Don't think I would ever consider going into business with a girlfriend :D

@fvcorp - Thanks for your input!

@SteveO - Agreed. And I have done so, but it's very easy for someone behind a computer to read someone else's story and throw out what they'd do in the situation, but until you're actually in it yourself some things are easier said than done!

@windchaser - "For what you say it seems you brought him into the business because he was your friend not because he had something the company needed." - Exactly. I did this because he was my childhood and best friend. I brought him in because I wanted to help him, he didn't have anything that the company needed. Definitely a massive learning lesson here, I agree with everything that you said.

@Red - You're 100000% correct on this. From a ton of reflecting, it seems like something of this nature was bound to happen based on previous actions throughout the many years. I can see this clearly now. Also, although the idea of it is still a bit raw, him hating me is only fueling me to focus harder on what's most important in my life.

To continue the conversation - I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned to threaten/sue/file a lawsuit against Bill/Peter. Although I never went into specific detail regarding how I discovered that they were conspiring behind my back, it's kind of shocking that not even one of you guys would suggest to send a threatening legal letter or something of that nature to ruffle their feathers and make them stop/get out of the industry (although it would take additional time and money on my end). Prior to writing this thread, my guess would've been that being the most common response..but what do i know? ;)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Small scale lawsuits often tend to be a waste of energy and money, even if you win.

Wow - thanks for all the responses!!

@minivanman - Kudos to you and your friend, it seems like you guys are doing well for yourselves. I appreciate your feedback, especially the end. I definitely agree here that Bill will never be able to truly compete and ever get ahead of us.

@WJK - Thanks man. I've definitely brushed it off and have been focusing on my business and growth. I've learned more than anything that I'm much more resilient than I thought and that I can use all of the mixed up emotions and energy and channel it into what's important and positive.

@Veloce Grey - Funny you say this, because I was thinking the same thing. Plus, you hit it spot on - he's definitely that type of person.

@GabrielDC - Yikes! Don't think I would ever consider going into business with a girlfriend :D

@fvcorp - Thanks for your input!

@SteveO - Agreed. And I have done so, but it's very easy for someone behind a computer to read someone else's story and throw out what they'd do in the situation, but until you're actually in it yourself some things are easier said than done!

@windchaser - "For what you say it seems you brought him into the business because he was your friend not because he had something the company needed." - Exactly. I did this because he was my childhood and best friend. I brought him in because I wanted to help him, he didn't have anything that the company needed. Definitely a massive learning lesson here, I agree with everything that you said.

@Red - You're 100000% correct on this. From a ton of reflecting, it seems like something of this nature was bound to happen based on previous actions throughout the many years. I can see this clearly now. Also, although the idea of it is still a bit raw, him hating me is only fueling me to focus harder on what's most important in my life.

To continue the conversation - I'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned to threaten/sue/file a lawsuit against Bill/Peter. Although I never went into specific detail regarding how I discovered that they were conspiring behind my back, it's kind of shocking that not even one of you guys would suggest to send a threatening legal letter or something of that nature to ruffle their feathers and make them stop/get out of the industry (although it would take additional time and money on my end). Prior to writing this thread, my guess would've been that being the most common response..but what do i know? ;)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I never mentioned it because that stuff takes too much time and effort and usually gets you no where. Sugar in the gas tank only takes a few minutes and the results are instant :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.