The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much should I pay an employee?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
In my field, real estate, they start new agents at a 50/50 split. 80/20 is considered very good, with some very experienced agents getting 90% or 100% but they pay a monthly "desk fee" which is a portion of the overhead.

I think 75% is a good split - but not right away. There is going to be a training/ramping up period, so I'd start at 50% if it were me, and move up to 60% in 6 months - and 70% in a year.

If they want more, they can run the show, which, as you know is a lot more work than just designing.

I'd stop at 70% myself, and throw a perk of 5 or 10% for a particularly good job now and then as a bonus.

Be sure to get a noncompete clause for your customers they will be working with.

A good deal is a two-way street. Don't cut yourself short.

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
In my field, real estate, they start new agents at a 50/50 split. 80/20 is considered very good, with some very experienced agents getting 90% or 100% but they pay a monthly "desk fee" which is a portion of the overhead.

I think 75% is a good split - but not right away. There is going to be a training/ramping up period, so I'd start at 50% if it were me, and move up to 60% in 6 months - and 70% in a year.

If they want more, they can run the show, which, as you know is a lot more work than just designing.

I'd stop at 70% myself, and throw a perk of 5 or 10% for a particularly good job now and then as a bonus.

Be sure to get a noncompete clause for your customers they will be working with.

A good deal is a two-way street. Don't cut yourself short.
Thank you, that answered my question. Super helpful!

ivan i

Retiring at 25
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Mar 4, 2018
Canada
So I'm running a design business for over a year now, by myself. School has been getting so much in the way, that the other day I realized that I probably need to hire someone. But I've been having a dilemma, which is why I need your guys' help. I really don't want to hire someone who's cheap but does a piss poor job, and yet I don't want to give up a majority of my income. I came to another designer the other day saying I'll throw him consistent work for 25% of the cut of the job. It seems to me like he actually got offended by me saying that, which makes me think maybe I'm pricing things wrong.

If I charge $60 for a job for example, and my worker finishes it, should he receive the majority, the minority, or should we split the cut 50/50? How would I go about pricing this, and where would I even find someone who does a good job for this type of price? I need your expertise guys, thanks a million.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.