The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

how much money is a good amount to have in the market?

lobster

New Contributor
Oct 23, 2007
i was wondering what lump sum of money do others have in the stock market? what is a fair amount to invest in todays market? from my expierences even with 300k im still only earn little change in todays market. i getting an average of 300.00 to 10k spikes each day or so. if im lucky a few rare 2 to 25k a day. im wondering is it worth it? should i look into real estate instead? :tdown:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
If you're averaging $300/day in the market, that's about $60,000/year. On an investment of $300,000, that's an annual return of about 20%.

Not bad in the market, especially if you're not devoting a whole lot of time to it.

As for whether you should invest it differently, the question you need to answer is whether you believe you can earn greater than 20% on your money via a different investment vehicle. If so, go for it. If not, stick with the market.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Historical returns are about 12%? When I am making more than that, I feel like I got a good result.

nomadjanet

Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I am not a market expert by any means but it seems to me how much you have in the market depends on many things.
1. What is your overall net worth. If your total net worth is 300K and that's what you have in the market, thats too much. On the other hand if your total net worth is 3mil and you have 300k in the market, maybe not enough?
2. What is your expertise? What do you know and love? What do you feel comfortable investing in?
We have tried to diversify our net worth but because we are not very versed in the market we have only a small investment % of our net worth in that area.
BTW I think a 20% return is outstanding, if you were not activly chasing trades.
Janet

piranha526

Contributor
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
A professional trader (day trader) needs at least (absolute minimum) $100k to start. It helps to have buying power to leverage your $100k. The more the better. It also helps to have other income streams to offset the stress to support yourself with fulltime trading.

OP
OP
L

lobster

New Contributor
Oct 23, 2007
A professional trader (day trader) needs at least (absolute minimum) $100k to start. It helps to have buying power to leverage your $100k. The more the better. It also helps to have other income streams to offset the stress to support yourself with fulltime trading.
yes you are all correct, thanks for the helpful info. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom