The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many monitors do you have?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
The other year, there was a thread going around here about showing your work station.

Since 2014, I had 3-24 inch monitors as my work station...It was quite impressive. I still have them....

But when you are working 12-14 hours a day, it's a lot of 'energy' that is radiating at you...day in and day out. Your eyes get drawn into the computer.

About 4 months ago, I felt some feeling inside of me that I needed to get off the computer for a while....so I took a week off.

Then when I returned, I Was more sensitive to the energy, so I turned the two side monitors off.

The only time I ever turn one on now is when I do graphic design work.

In summary - I used to get more and more because I thought it was cool...

Now after it impacted my health and eyesight for a bit...I realize it wasn't really necessary.

idk why I'm writing this - probably because I just turned one on for the first time in a while to do graphic design work for my business...and to serve as a warning.

Useful tips I learned:

• Every 20 minutes, get up and walk around to get the blood flow going.
  • Look away from your computer every once in a while.
Anyone else notice anything similar?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I never get fatigue with having 3, I never have the brightness up, flux helps with color adjustment, ave I also have mood lighting behind the monitors all the way around the desk.

I also have the office lit with 2700k led lights to reduce strain

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I use 3 24" monitors and sometimes develop a headache from looking at them all day. Usually, I will turn down the brightness and that helps.

What REALLY has helped me a lot was getting a pair of Gunnar Computer Glasses, they put a slight magnification to the screen reducing eyestrain and removes some of the blue light waves to help reduce eye fatigue.

https://gunnar.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo...2wTHhX-igstrzcfuHrCRHFjxzOBo_-_rpkaAqok8P8HAQ

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Yeah, computer strain sucks. I can't look at the screen too long or my eyes will start to water. So I usually go outside for a walk or do something else. Especially if it's a nice day.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I never get fatigue with having 3, I never have the brightness up, flux helps with color adjustment, ave I also have mood lighting behind the monitors all the way around the desk.

I also have the office lit with 2700k led lights to reduce strain
How long have you been using this setup for?

April 2014 is when I started... and it took almost 2 years before I noticed the effects. I'd attribute it a lot to being in front of the computer literally all day every day for a while (a habit I broke). I use gunnar glasses and it crept up on me.

Might not impact everyone, but just wanted to put out this just in case

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I've got two (22") monitors (thinking of moving up to 2 x 24") for options trading back in 2006 and have never looked back. No eye strain and I'm here (pretty much) all day every day - by choice. The "look away" tip is one I've also heard from OH&S personnel.

They recommend picking an item out far in the distance and one medium distance and practice focusing hard on each; far, middle, then near in order to "exercise" the eye(?). Also stare at a fluro for a few seconds then look away then back again. This is a trick I learned as a welder and is a way to get clarity back into your vision after a quick welding flash. This also helps for eye strain I've discovered.

Another thing that matters a lot is seating position and arm bend angle (at the elbow), The elbow should be at least 90 degrees and hopefully a bit more so your forearms run downhill to the keyboard. Also the top of your nose should be the same height as the top of the monitor to avoid neck strain.

Those glasses are a new idea to me @Brett877 - thanks for the link. Interesting.

Razz

VPH: Value Per Hour
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
515%
Apr 15, 2016
I've used anywhere from 3 - 6 for 10+ years, per workstation. At three right now, seems to work per setup. One screen for work and focus, optional screen for watching things like stocks or items | data being backed up and other items of interests, and another for a task list, pending downloads, queus, music player, etc. Sometimes bigger doesn't always mean better with peripheral screens, depends on your work.

The quality of the screens can really help with eye strain. This is not an area to skimp on. And each vision is different, calibrate as needed. That's why there's so many color profiles out there. Amazing to see what some tweaks can do to strain over time. That and helps when dealing with marathon sessions.

For graphic work, it's nice to see layouts with horizontal and vertical. There's some great displays that do this. The @Brett877 Gunnar optics are great - as long as you aren't doing color sensitive work. If so, then just be aware of the yellow tint. May have to recalibrate. That and don't have prescription rx. When wearing contacts, they've helped out my eyes from not drying out.

Get some good eye drops. Synthetic tears, such as Blink, without the burn, help.

The advice by @LightHouse is great - flux and controlled lighting. The new trend of tablets adapting to ambient light is also an eye saver. I like the rule of staying a certain amount away from the screen, from 3 feet to at least an arm's length away. That and adapting the light to your eyes sensitivities. Adjust.

Piggybacking @V8Bill great advice too, sometimes taking a 30 second - 3 minute break helps. Even if just putting the focus somewhere else, looking away from the screen. Or even closing your eyes. There's even an eye yoga program that helps - amazon has it. The exercise helps reduce strain.

Add in a stable chair, ergonomic keyboard, sliders|controllers|trackpads, etc, and support your wrists. Nothings worse than repetitive strain injuries.

That and posture when the chair can hurt. Try to find that sweet spot that supports your posture, keeps your eyes and chin up, and prevent extra strain.

Better Touch Tool and Better Snap Tool (and related) sure help with maximizing your inputs. Similar tools available for every OS.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I opened this thread mistaken that you said "How many mentors do you have"
Disappointed, I wanted to hear mentor stories.

As for monitors I have a ThinkPad laptop and a tablet that i never use.
My ThinkPad laptop is not fit for graphical applications, it shuts down when i do video processing. Need to buy a new one.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
Already mentioned here, but just seconding- flux is an extremely good program for this.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
3 24s at work ..web developer(ftp client,gfx program and my ticket que or code editor on the middle one)

at home i have 2 27 samsung which seem to get the job done ..hooked to my macbook pro

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.