The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How LONG would it take you to turn $50,000 into $190,000???

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I get a news alert today that the S&P 500 hit the 3,000 mark again and felt compelled to do some math.

If you invested $50,000 into the S&P 500 at the lowest trading day of the 2008-2009 recession (S&P 500 = 797).... and waited.... and waited.... and waited.... and sold it 10 years later (right now) you would have profited $140,000.

Not to mention you had to have made about $71,500 to be able to buy equities with post-tax money. Also, not to mention the erosion of the value of the money through inflation.

My question is, how long would it take you to invest $50,000 into your business and make $190,000 in revenue directly from it? One year? Six months? My guess is less than 10 years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
at the lowest trading day of the 2008-2009 recession

If you could correctly identify the lowest point, then you wouldn't be turning $50k into $190k, but into a billion through options, etc.

That's the problem; you can't identify the lowest point.

For most people, the stock market is a horrible means of wealth creation. It's a great means of wealth preservation. Significant difference.

With an asset that you fully control, it's reasonable to have 20% growth year over year.

That would imply that your $50k would turn into $309k during the same time period (without having to correctly identify the low point). Or in other words, it would take you 7 years and 3 months to hit the same return as the stock market. If you can get the average angel investment return (27% per year), then you'd have $545k in those same ten years. Problem is that most people aren't cut out to be entrepreneurs or equity investors.

Grinder20

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
May 28, 2019
If you could correctly identify the lowest point, then you wouldn't be turning $50k into $190k, but into a billion through options, etc.

That's the problem; you can't identify the lowest point.

For most people, the stock market is a horrible means of wealth creation. It's a great means of wealth preservation. Significant difference.

With an asset that you fully control, it's reasonable to have 20% growth year over year.

That would imply that your $50k would turn into $309k during the same time period (without having to correctly identify the low point). Or in other words, it would take you 7 years and 3 months to hit the same return as the stock market. If you can get the average angel investment return (27% per year), then you'd have $545k in those same ten years. Problem is that most people aren't cut out to be entrepreneurs or equity investors.
@AgainstAllOdds, the management fees alone are mind boggling and will erode any gains.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
What if you plus 9 of your buddies came together and put $500k ($50k each) into a new venture - and used the equity to buy a cash producing asset for example a business that costs $1.5 million.

You put $500k down, the bank puts another $500k down and the seller gives you $500k in seller's finance.

And let's say the business makes about $500k profit per year after taxes & liabilities.

I think if you re-invested some of the profits (hired consultants and found some new distribution channels & new markets) you could reach your goal in 5 years.

StefanoUP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Aug 8, 2019
Europe
Or a few weeks / months on the FOREX if you are good at it - but of course with some attached risk.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
$50K to $190K in a few weeks with options or FOREX?

I imagine that would be a ridiculous level of risk?

If you have a way to reliably 3.8x your money every two months, you would be able to turn $100 in $240,000,000 in two years. If you've done that, let us know...

Note that if you wanted to go the high-risk route, you could do this in about 5 minutes with two spins of a roulette wheel -- and with about 25% chance of success!

I dont know anything about forex, but the risk on options would be lower than you think, and way lower than roulette. The thing about options is timing. If you can accurately predict a run, which is possible with charting, candle tracking or elliot waves, you could do quite well within that period of time. I have duplicated this a couple times. But these high confidence events dont happen often. So you might only be able to do that, say 4 or 5 times a year, which you would probably be wrong on 1, maybe 2. But with a controlled loss, you would still be way up. There are many people who make lots of money off options, but they most likely went through an expensive learning curve (me), or are well financed. If your interested in making money from options in a very low risk way, MJ has a wonderful thread on here about selling options.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ has a wonderful thread on here about selling options.

While I agree this experiment can be done with options, it still is risky because ultimately you're using a leveraged product. You could lose that $50K in a matter of weeks. (Or more if you're selling options which is my chosen poison). That said, if I was challenged (or forced) to do so, I'd probably do a pre-earnings call buy on an instrument that has a pattern of pre-earnings optimism. In other words, the option play would have a backtested history of success. I will only buy options under those circumstances.

My question is, how long would it take you to invest $50,000 into your business and make $190,000 in revenue directly from it? One year? Six months? My guess is less than 10 years.

That said, I believe business is a much better method in doing so. This thread here ...

...actually has someone doing it -- that $50K could be used to buy a digital business (or businesses) that produce decent returns.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Search a beginning of a war, buy bears 2 days before and sell the day of its beginning.
I turned 100€ into 4000€ in 3 days at the first gulf war.
Well, mustnt think about i had invested 10000.....

aminmo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
481%
Jan 2, 2018
United States
Well, with my first successful ecom store, I turned $5k (wasn't even actual money, I was using a family member's credit card) and generated $1-million in revenue in about 2 months.

Granted, there was a large amount of luck involved, but I've reproduced similar results (albeit with lower revenue numbers, of course lol) with other stores after that.

Using $50k to make $190k in revenue is extremely easy in the eCom space. Turning $50k into $190k profit, however, is an entirely different story and much harder.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
...actually has someone doing it -- that $50K could be used to buy a digital business (or businesses) that produce decent returns.
100%.

Just being curious, I decided to check out Empire Flippers to see what sort of website could be bought with $50k. We have this one here for ~ $33k that makes $1200 a month with AdSense: https://empireflippers.com/listing/46627/

Just by switching to a different advertising platform that revenue could be doubled or tripled in 1 month. Spend $10k on more content, the remaining $7k on website improvements, marketing, and fixed costs.

Keep jamming it out either creating content or hiring a content creator with revenue until it's making a consistent $7k a month & sell it for $190k.

EDIT: It wouldn't take for it to be making $7k a month to make $190k, depending on how much was being reinvested. That was assuming every dollar was being put back into it.

Last edited:

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
That said, I believe business is a much better method in doing so. This thread here ...

That's the point I wanted to see others think about. Why put money into the stock and wait 10 years when investing in your business will generate a better return.

In business we talk about using money in marketing or R&D or whatever to get a 2x, 5x, 10x, etc. return on investment.
On Wall Street we talk about using money in stocks, bonds, options, etc. to squeeze out an 8%, 12%, 20% return on investment.

I think I'm gonna go with the 2x ROI over the 20% return.

Basically, I think the stock market is a scam and has a higher risk associated with it than most realize. The liquidity of equities is a bad thing. You will get burned before you know it and have time to react. INSIDERS will already position themselves to benefit from a downturn before it is even on the public's radar.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.