The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
Hi,

just wanted to share a short story with you guys. Last summer I wanted to make some side money from renting camping places in my garden. I had absolutely no idea if people would be interested. So anyways, I started listing my garden to see if anything would happen. For months nothing happened but I didn't delete any of the listings.

At a given moment I got more responses than usual. I started wondering why that would be the case. After talking with some of my guests I figured out they needed a camping place during the period of the Tomorrowland festival. One of the guys I was talking to asked me why I didn't list it on Airbnb. First, I doubted this idea because Airbnb didn't allow me to list camping places without a tent or even with a tent (now they do). After thinking about it I gave it a try. I just listed it as a 'room'.

Result: 150 people stayed over - 16k revenue and A LOT of fun :). These were actually one of the best two weekends of my life. Simply because I was having so much fun from acting on some random idea I had which was actually making me some money. It felt so natural and good. All this organizing, selling drinks & food and all the stuff that came with it, I just F*cking loved it.

So anyways => lessons learned:

- Stop thinking to much about your ideas -> Just experiment and see what happens. You'll ALWAYS get feedback from acting on your idea. Reality will show you where you were right and what you were wrong about. Use it to improve yourself and your idea.
- Try to listen to what your clients say (I know it's hard) but they might bring you the golden piece of information to make your idea successful.
- If you live close to a famous festival, you know what to do -> Yves heeft je uitgenodigd bij te verdienen door op Airbnb te verhuren (referral). Thank me later.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
150 people camped in your garden for a nearby festival?? That's pretty crazy!

Did you have any logistical problems, problems with 150 people using your bathroom, leaving rubbish behind, causing a nuisance when drunk, etc..?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
This is so great... I'm laughing so I can barely type. You've done a cool thing... much respect. Look! There was a need and you served it!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Did you have any logistical problems, problems with 150 people using your bathroom, leaving rubbish behind, causing a nuisance when drunk, etc..?

Really curious about this too!

redplant

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 5, 2018
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Made up my day.

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
150 people camped in your garden for a nearby festival?? That's pretty crazy!

Well, good question:

- I rented an extra bathroom with 4 showers and 2 extra toilets when I saw the demand was this high.
- We were surprised by how clean they left everything behind. Our garden was not that ruined after these two weekends. Just a bit 'used'. :)
- I was a bit concerned about drunk people but actually everyone was quiet at night because they were so tired from raving at the festival. It was a different story during the day -> a lot of music and drunk people but everyone behaved quite well. No fights/stolen goods/stuff trashed/...

Cheers!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Well, good question:

- I rented an extra bathroom with 4 showers and 2 extra toilets when I saw the demand was this high.
- We were surprised by how clean they left everything behind. Our garden was not that ruined after these two weekends. Just a bit 'used'. :)
- I was a bit concerned about drunk people but actually everyone was quiet at night because they were so tired from raving at the festival. It was a different story during the day -> a lot of music and drunk people but everyone behaved quite well. No fights/stolen goods/stuff trashed/...

Cheers!

Great! So where do you go from here?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You can make even more with the right crops lol

PgBgR78RTC6FbMzfboCy_cannabis-plant-in-garden.jpg

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
How big is your Garden!

Brian Fleig

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Feb 19, 2018
New York
Well, good question:

Cheers!

Can you define "Garden"? To me that conjures images of 100' x 100' rototilled and planted with vegetables.

Also, how do you rent a bathroom with toilets and showers? A nearby building?

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
Can you define "Garden"? To me that conjures images of 100' x 100' rototilled and planted with vegetables.

Also, how do you rent a bathroom with toilets and showers? A nearby building?

1. Garden = 'backyard'
2. It was a bathroom trailer

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Damn! Well done!

Stop thinking to much about your ideas -> Just experiment and see what happens. You'll ALWAYS get feedback from acting on your idea.

Love this. Just dive in, and adjust along the way. The market will tell you what it wants, and doesn't want.

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.