The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I am retiring at 19 years old

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Hope this is able to give some of you motivation and inspiration.

It is actually very simple. I am in Texas and I no longer want to be. I decided to move to California for a few reasons, all related to business.

No friends
No contacts
No house
Nothing
(When I started)

I keep a sharp eye on my cash flow. I review receipts every night before I go to bed. As a result I keep monthly expenses VERY low (bills + debt = slave). I was raised on $2000 a year, so doing without does not bother me at all.

Utilizing opportunities and resources I bring in a monthly income of 350-600/month passively now (I say passive but at the most 40 hours of work a month)

Housing? That caused a problem until I remembered one thing...Who needs a house???? Pay the man, you kidding?? I am going to live in my car. How? I am buying a portable washer and dryer to have in my car so I can always wash clothes. Sleep in the back. Where will I park? College apartments. As for showers and food I am working on that right now. Originally I was just going to buy a ton of ramen noodles and water and eat them cold. But as that is not a healthy option I am considering a few other things. The car is temporary until I move in somewhere. But I would rather be shot than pay rent to anyone. So I will probably do the old "live in one side rent out the other" at some point.

I am getting college for free through my reserve service. I am doing a business major related to my goals. At this point I am planning on accounting. But that is subject to change depending on how things fit into my future business system.

The goal is not school though. I am going to use all of my free time (I should have a lot) to water my money seed. Network. Find opportunity. Provide value. You get the drift.

This plan took a little while to construct and constantly (still is) evolved. It took a lot of creativity to solve issues that I am faced with. System is much more important than the event.

At first it sounded really freaking stupid and far out of reach. But I made it a reality. Why? Because I wanted to. I want to go to California. Nothing will stop me. I am still facing obstacles but I will trudge on.

My point for saying all of this. You can do it too. Anything you want. It may sound far out of reach but I promise you can accomplish crazy things if you believe and execute. Its all in your head. Just one step at a time.

How bad do you want it?

I am thinking about creating a progress thread on this. If there is any interest?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hope this is able to give some of you motivation and inspiration.

It is actually very simple. I am in Texas and I no longer want to be. I decided to move to California for a few reasons, all related to business.

No friends
No contacts
No house
Nothing
(When I started)

I keep a sharp eye on my cash flow. I review receipts every night before I go to bed. As a result I keep monthly expenses VERY low (bills + debt = slave). I was raised on $2000 a year, so doing without does not bother me at all.

Utilizing opportunities and resources I bring in a monthly income of 350-600/month passively now (I say passive but at the most 40 hours of work a month)

Housing? That caused a problem until I remembered one thing...Who needs a house???? Pay the man, you kidding?? I am going to live in my car. How? I am buying a portable washer and dryer to have in my car so I can always wash clothes. Sleep in the back. Where will I park? College apartments. As for showers and food I am working on that right now. Originally I was just going to buy a ton of ramen noodles and water and eat them cold. But as that is not a healthy option I am considering a few other things. The car is temporary until I move in somewhere. But I would rather be shot than pay rent to anyone. So I will probably do the old "live in one side rent out the other" at some point.

I am getting college for free through my reserve service. I am doing a business major related to my goals. At this point I am planning on accounting. But that is subject to change depending on how things fit into my future business system.

The goal is not school though. I am going to use all of my free time (I should have a lot) to water my money seed. Network. Find opportunity. Provide value. You get the drift.

This plan took a little while to construct and constantly (still is) evolved. It took a lot of creativity to solve issues that I am faced with. System is much more important than the event.

At first it sounded really freaking stupid and far out of reach. But I made it a reality. Why? Because I wanted to. I want to go to California. Nothing will stop me. I am still facing obstacles but I will trudge on.

My point for saying all of this. You can do it too. Anything you want. It may sound far out of reach but I promise you can accomplish crazy things if you believe and execute. Its all in your head. Just one step at a time.

How bad do you want it?

I am thinking about creating a progress thread on this. If there is any interest?

Didn't really read. Cursory glance at OP says you're broke and you're hungry.

Find something to sell, preferably something with short sales cycles (less than a week), and prompt paydays (you get paid within a week of starting).

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
@Ubermensch

Haha no, not broke and hungry (I guess that is subjective though)

My monthly expense is almost nonexistent so the "small" monthly amount I earn every month is enough to live off of for me.

But my whole purpose for doing this is so I have time to pursue business and provide value. I will look into short sales. I have been considering a lot of options.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Why California? Have you been there before?

I thought it was great too until I lived there for 4 years. Now, not so much.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
But I made it a reality. Why? Because I wanted to.

giphy.gif

How much is your energy worth?

Will sleeping in a car and eating horrible/cheap food increase or decrease your energy?

How will that impact your ability to grow as an individual? How will that impact your health? How will that impact your "business", and ability to increase your passive income stream?

Is saving a few dollars on rent and food now worth the loss in potential income?

And what about college? Are you taking into account the value of relationships that you can form at college? How many friendships will you miss out on because of being "the weird hippy that lives in his car, eats ramens, and never showers"? And I'm not saying this to put you down, but to be honest - the majority of people will think you're weird.

Is it really worth the uphill battle?

Or is a few dollars "invested" now in housing and food worth the upside?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Also, you use the word "retiring".

Are you planning to stay at that level the rest of your life?

Because honestly, if you are, you should save up for a one way ticket to Hawaii, live homeless "home-free" on the beach, take government benefits, and "retire" in one of the world's nicest spots.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Ubermensch

But my whole purpose for doing this is so I have time to pursue business and provide value. I will look into short sales. I have been considering a lot of options.

I don't mean "short sales," like real estate.

I mean look at sales, the profession, the art, the guaranteed way of making money.

I mean sales, like Glen Gary, Boiler Room, Wolf of Wall Street.

I mean sales, where you sell a product or service, with a process in place that already works.

I mean sales, the immediate way of making money.

'Cause money over everything.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
giphy.gif

How much is your energy worth?

Will sleeping in a car and eating horrible/cheap food increase or decrease your energy?

How will that impact your ability to grow as an individual? How will that impact your health? How will that impact your "business", and ability to increase your passive income stream?

Is saving a few dollars on rent and food now worth the loss in potential income?

And what about college? Are you taking into account the value of relationships that you can form at college? How many friendships will you miss out on because of being "the weird hippy that lives in his car, eats ramens, and never showers"? And I'm not saying this to put you down, but to be honest - the majority of people will think you're weird.

Is it really worth the uphill battle?

Or is a few dollars "invested" now in housing and food worth the upside?

Frank Underwood seems like the kind of guy who, at the age of 19, would have chose to be homeless for a little while.

He probably even would've played a mind game on himself - a mind game so clever that the word "retirement" seems as realistically applicable as it is euphemistically applicable.

Frank Underwood is willing to do what it takes to win, even creating terror.

Perhaps that's OP is doing, creating terror, terror that if he doesn't get out in the real world and provide value, his life is over, and @Ubermensch will make horribly hilarious jokes about the 19 year old homeless boy.

@jon.a lives in my home city, San Diego (unless I am mistaken). He can attest to the existence of old beach bums.

I always wondered where old beach bums come from.

Thanks to this site, I now know they start out like OP.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
How will that impact your health?

This. How will your overall performance be affected if you are constantly getting sick or experiencing aches and pains from living in a car?

Psychological health is also very important. A good nights sleep can do wonders in terms of giving your brain time to relax and decompress.

Just some things you need to consider. There are many different factors that go into making a business successful. You are the single most important thing in making a business work. If you treat yourself like garbage, you will see the consequences in your work and performance.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and I wish you the best!

raden1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Dec 31, 2015
I can't wrap my head around how you view this as "retirement."

I guess this is your way of throwing yourself in the deep end. Maybe it is a good idea maybe it isn't.

As for showers, you could join a gym.

Good luck.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
That's not retiring, that's living in a van down by the river.

Whatever your income stream is, you will probably be able to grow it if you put more effort into it. Do that.

Or... Sell that income stream for .8x-1x annual, put a deposit down on a place to live, and hustle.

Why are you allergic to renting?

This post makes no F*ckin sense. [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
You don't sound retired. You sound more like some homeless dude.

Don't get me wrong. I admire your ability to live a frugal life. But around here, "retired" means a different thing, and in no way involves living in your car or wondering where you can bum a free shower.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
He just wanted to sound and maybe be like "DeletedUser394". You guys smashed him.

Like the way Ubermensch responded though, just like a bully.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
He just wanted to sound and maybe be like "DeletedUser394". You guys smashed him.

Like the way Ubermensch responded though, just like a bully.

Not our intention, dude.

I'm sure he's heard 'naysayers' tell him that his ideas are stupid. So he comes here hoping to get some support.

We don't want to hurt his feelings: we want to tell him what's really going on, as adults.

Op is delusional if he thinks that living like a bum is 'retirement'. However, if that's his idea of 'freedom', just like living out in the woods and eating off the fat of the land, then that's on him. It's not 'retirement'.

We're a MILLIONAIRE entrepreneur forum. We want to make millions of dollars. That's our goal. Most of us aren't there yet, and we want to travel the Fastlane road. We're lucky enough to have people who have made millions of dollars help us out on our way.

We are NOT a 'hoodwink expenses and "retire" on $600/month' forum.

My intention was to remind the OP what this forum is about: hustling hard, making money, and enjoying life. Eating crushed ramen noodles and showering at Planet Fitness is not enjoying life, in my opinion. If OP is about that, that's fine.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
Not our intention, dude.

I'm sure he's heard 'naysayers' tell him that his ideas are stupid. So he comes here hoping to get some support.

We don't want to hurt his feelings: we want to tell him what's really going on, as adults.

Op is delusional if he thinks that living like a bum is 'retirement'. However, if that's his idea of 'freedom', just like living out in the woods and eating off the fat of the land, then that's on him. It's not 'retirement'.

We're a MILLIONAIRE entrepreneur forum. We want to make millions of dollars. That's our goal. Most of us aren't there yet, and we want to travel the Fastlane road. We're lucky enough to have people who have made millions of dollars help us out on our way.

We are NOT a 'hoodwink expenses and "retire" on $600/month' forum.

My intention was to remind the OP what this forum is about: hustling hard, making money, and enjoying life. Eating crushed ramen noodles and showering at Planet Fitness is not enjoying life, in my opinion. If OP is about that, that's fine.

Very well put.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Why California? Have you been there before?

I thought it was great too until I lived there for 4 years. Now, not so much.
Why do you say that?

Genuinely curious.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
Why do you say that?

Genuinely curious.

We have the best weather, best women, and the biggest market.
Not to mention it's the golden state of the greatest country in the world.
Im a little biased but Calfiornia is #1 :)

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Why not California?

California is the best state in America.

Why do you say that?

Genuinely curious.

We have the best weather, best women, and the biggest market.
Not to mention it's the golden state of the greatest country in the world.
Im a little biased but Calfiornia is #1 :)

I just don't like it, overall (barring one exception). LA and San Francisco are too crowded (especially LA). Personally, I think most of LA is rundown-looking. I think California as a whole is extremely overpriced. I lived near Santa Barbara for 4 years and I just think that area is really overrated. Always have. Also, I really disagree with California politics (which I will leave alone after this statement).

The only place that I actually really like there is San Jose. I could see myself living there, for sure.

I'm in the process of moving to what I consider to be the best state in the country (and not because MJ says so): Arizona, specifically the Phoenix-Scottsdale metro area. I've long been in love with this place, dating way before I've ever heard of this forum. Rich or poor, this is where I want to be!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

That's between $8.75 - $15 an hour. So you are not retired - you just happen to have low expenses (homeless).

You can do it too. Anything you want. It may sound far out of reach but I promise you can accomplish crazy things if you believe and execute. Its all in your head. Just one step at a time.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe one day I can be homeless too? Whats the first step...

We have all been young at one point and while this is a fun adventure for now a time will come when you don't want to be one mistake or accident away from relying on someone (anyone) else. If you don't like paying rent to the "man" think how you feel when you have to come asking for health insurance, food stamps or one of hundreds of other basics in life.

I slept in my car for a few weeks when I was 18 cause I was too stubborn to quit finding work in a new town. Its good to experience these things for perspective later but to call it retirement (on a business forum) is highly delusional.

[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
And most of the guys expected to read a rags-to-riches story of a young entrepreneur who is already financially retired. Oh well... we all have different definitions and expectations of retirement, LOL.

P.S. OP it's perfect time to start building your rags-to-riches story!

P.S.S. I would personally advice to retreat and regroup. Change your strategy. Your current strategy is unsustainable and will drain you out in no time. See a big picture, make a strategic decision and supplement it with your dedication.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Once again I have caused confusion due to my lack of detail. I forget that when it comes to forums I need to be more detailed because it is very easy to misunderstand as no one knows me in person. My mistake. Allow me to clarify

Bum - No. Retirement as in, not *having* to work because I have to work via bills and debt. If I work (which I will probably do obviously) it is because I WANT to work and the money will fuel my dreams and desires. Not be sent away to other people. I look at each dollar as a freedom fighter (Just like in Millionaire Fastlane ) each dollar that is spent on something is a soldier killed. The rent where I will be is $600-1300. I am not living off of government welfare. I am using benefits I have earned through my service to the country. Bum hardly applies here. Also, retirement was used as a more comedic way that came across wrong. Again my apologies. Not trying to mislead, I didn't think you guys would get distracted on a word instead of the point I was trying to make.

My point in doing that is to free up time so I can spend it more productively. As in getting better, business systems ect ect. I am doing it so I can ultimately focus 100% on business. I don't want a job. I want to solve problems and build business. The more time I spend not working is more time I spend solving problems and providing value. The lower my monthly expenses the more time I have.

California- I am moving there for a few legitimate reasons. I wont go into detail because I'd be here all night. I assure you they are legitimate and not for stupid reasons. One reason specifically is that putting myself in that situation will force me to get s*** done. Survive or die if you will. It wont allow me to be content, which I do not want to be. I am burning bridges and if I want to not sleep in a car I have to go and get things done. Every day all day will be spent towards goals. I find that when your back is against the wall you fight much harder. Because you have to. You win or die.

Housing- No the car is not permanent. It is only for a short time until I feel out the area. I will pursue options other than renting out, I believe I could find opportunities in real estate. I will give that a chance before I commit $600-1300/month in rent.

I believe in Mj's book he said something along the lines of. "I wanted it so bad I was willing to do *anything*, even flip burgers" cannot remember the exact words, forgive me. I want it bad enough to do anything. If getting made fun of is a price to pay that is fine. I know in the end I will achieve what I want. I see it as a toll that must be paid. I want it bad enough to do anything. In the end though, the only reason I need for anything is just one. I want to do it. I am not controlled by life. I control my own life. I want to be there I will be there. I'll do what it takes. I believe in myself enough that I trust I will succeed. It will be difficult and it will suck. But it will be worth it in the end.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Actually I have full dental, life and medical insurance plus car insurance. Paid for by me. My monthly income is enough to feed myself all month without starving. No food stamps here. @Fox

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Once again, please understand I am not literally considering that retirement guys LOL

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Please explain what service to your country you completed by the age of 19?
Military service. Through which I am entitled certain benefits through the United States.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.