• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How Fast is The Fastlane?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by M&T, Mar 7, 2008.

Are you?

1. An Employee

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. A Business Owner

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Both an Employee & Business Owner

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. M&T

M&T New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    I've been thinking about this for quite sometime. I wanted to start a poll to see the percentage of business owners and employees.Now I know some are going to say "I am going to be a business owner when this happens or that happens". "Also some will say well I have a job to pay the bills and I am geting the biz off the ground".So here goes . The rules:
    If you have a business of course vote as a business owner.
    If you are an employee vote as an employee.
    If you have a job and a biz vote for that catagory. That way everyone gets to vote . We can also see the percentage of "E" quandrant and "B" quandrant people here.
    Just to have some fun and to gather info, enjoy .
    M&T...:thankyousign:

2. M&T

M&T New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    HHHHHHMMMMMMM.Not too many votes?

3. Jill

Jill Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,792
    There was another thread recently, similarly themed. I think it was called, "Do you live off your business" or somesuch.

4. M&T

M&T New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    aaahhhh. That could explain it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

5. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    M&T-

You may want to add "S" (self employed, or "own my own business").

This category could apply to anyone with less than, say, 10 employees.

There are lots of "S's" out there who call themselves business owners, but are so key to their business that they could *never* sell the biz to someone else for any decent amount over $300K.

Exception: Automated businesses, both B&M (like a car wash or coin-op laundry) or Net based stuff.

-Russ H.

6. PEERless

PEERless Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Where'd these numbers come from? Does Kiyosaki ever suggest specific thresholds for passing from S to B?

7. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    Actually, yes.

Kiyosaki's threshold is 50 employees.

-Russ H.

8. CoMp1eX

CoMp1eX New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Boo! I'm currently an employee and I hate it. I sit all day in a booth surfing the web and educating myself on my Macbook.

I'm deciding whether I should quit my job and work on all my business ideas full-time at home or work and try to do both.

The only problem is that I can't concentrate on it at work... even though my laptops right in front of me!

OK, i'm done with my rant. :smx7:

:hl: to all you business owners, you get my utmost respect. I know how much sacrifice and hard work you must put into it!

9. PEERless

PEERless Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Yeah, 50 sounds like a B, but you're right that those numbers are arbitrary with automated or net businesses.

10. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    I don't recall seeing this in any book from RK. Do you remember where you saw this number? (just curious, not that really matters :))

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,770
    I vaguely recall seeing this somewhere too.... perhaps retire young retire rich??

I remember it because I had a reaction to it ~ ~ ~ I don't agree with it.

I can have a 'B' with only 1 employee. Or with some outsourced help. The number of employee's has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The TRUE question is....

CAN YOU WALK AWAY FROM IT???
    If you can, it is a B.
    If you can't, it is an S.

There is absolutely NO reason to grow bigger just for the sake of growing bigger. Grow smarter and more automated first.... then make it scalable.

Russ H and wildambitions like this.
  12. wildambitions

wildambitions Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $161
    I SO agree with you.

Nothing wrong with being an "S" as long as you know that is where you are and where you want to go.

I think typically there are more fastlane "B"'s than "S's".

I DO NOT want to be an "S", but I think and mostly act like an "S". It is tough to move personally from "S" to "B" unless you KNOW the definitions and proceed in the direction that gets you to where you want to go. For me, I have to force myself NOT to develop things toward "S" and keep moving toward that "B".

13. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,743
    Andviv-

The number of employees (50) comes from Cashflow Quadrant.

Like Russ said, we could go for a "S" category here, as I am also an employee of my business.

14. M&T

M&T New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    The reason I did not include an "S" quadrant is because it is not the fast lane that we want. I thought about including it but after some thought I decided against it."S" is better than "E" of course but lets face it we want "B". So the question was how many fast laners are here or how fast is the fast lane?
    Russ, you suggested adding a" own my own business". That would fall under the catagory of Business owner.
    I am glad to see we are getting some good topic out of this.Which was the intent and also to see what catagory most people fall into at this point. I say at this point because there are a lot on here that are going to be huge business owners.It is nice also to see where we are all starting from and where we came from.
    Russ , I do agree with you "S" people are mostly not yet "B" but created a job for themselves. Many get to that point and get stuck.
    Thanks for the input let's see where this goes.

15. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    I voted the third option, but just give me 1 more month and you'll see hehehehe

16. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $96,028
    I like to think that I have moved beyond a "B". As ATW states, it is nice to be able to walk away and not worry.

17. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    SteveO, even the cashflow quadrant isn't enough for someone like you! :hl:

18. Forza

Forza New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $45
    A 'B' is any business that runs independently of its owner(s), irrespective of number of employees. What do you reckon?

19. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    Rep for this. I wish RK had seen it this way (his 50 employees thing reeks of old school, bricks and mortar thinking).

-Russ H.

20. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,420
    M&T-

Reason I brought this up is that WAY TOO MANY of the people here (and elsewhere) who are self-employed ("S's") crow about how "I own my own business".

But as Sonya points out, if you can't walk away from it, your business runs you-- you don't run it.

So your survey is polluted (or, shall we say, biased) by anyone/everyone who slogs away at an S job, thinking they are a business owner.

They are, technically. But not in any Fastlane sense that you are asking about.

A kid who has a lemonade stand owns a business.

Not fastlane. :slow:

Hoping this makes sense.

-Russ H

21. M&T

M&T New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $53
    Russ,
    Oh yes makes perfect sense to me.I couldn't agree with you more.One of the things I wanted to establish was exactly what you brought up. There are, what I think; MANY slow laners here giving advice to people. We know how important advice is. Get it from the wrong person or place and before you know it you are off track and going in the wrong direction! I would never point fingers of-course but some new person could happen upon the site and take advice from someone and bamo!Bad position.Not being criticle of the Fastlane site by anymeans.Just some people well intentioned but not credible trying to help others.Sometimes I feel they post just to work for a speed rating.Mybe I'm wrong but I am glad that MJ,moderators and a few professionals here can give great advice to help people along.I have found some quality info here.Unfortunitly I have also found some bad.Just my rant for the day. Thank you!
    M&T...

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.