The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does international shipping works??!

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Mozzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 1, 2015
To start of, i am new in the importing and exporting business. I contacted few suppliers from Alibaba and they have agreed to ship over to me free sample of shoes before i making a decision to order from them.

However, as easy as it seems, i really do not know how sea freight or air freight works to ship from china to singapore and even the cost or the proper procedure to start with. I really hope to get some help from u guys out there. Also,it would be good if someone can give me a reliable shipping company to enquiry my doubts.

Oh! It would be good if there are some feedbacks about when i should bulk order from the suppliers,whats the risk i should be watching out for.
Thanks alot in advance! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
So you are asking for others to do all the work for you?

Mozzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 1, 2015
Hi supa, i did my work through researching and reading threads but most of the shipping company require one cbm which means at least $90+ to ship a single sample to singapore. I want to know if its the case for all or its just that i couldnt find the right company. Hence, it would be good if anyone know of any company that provides better offer than $90+/cbm.
I also read thread posted by biophase, and few others. And i always know people recommend getting hand on the sample first before ordering any big amount.

Just the shipping part troubles me alot.

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
I'm in the US, in Florida specifically. I deal with a few factories in China and from time to time, I have to send stuff to China. Most of the time I receive stuff from China. The samples I get are small and lightweight for shipping purposes but the orders are very heavy.

I found a stupid "trick" a while back that saves me money: ALWAYS use the China factories shipping account and reimburse them.

I've found that if I ship something to anywhere in China, it cost me $100 and as low as $90 for a very small, lightweight item. I even wen to UPS and negotiated my rates as low as I could. I tried doing that with a few shipping companies but found it was a waste of my time. If I bill the shipping to the factory account, it cost me half!

If they ship something to me via air freight (which is all I use), the same package that I would ship to them on their account will cost me $45 but if they ship the package to me it will cost me between $25 and $35. What the...? My guess, they ship more so they get better rates. I really don't care, I just want to save money.

All my factories use either DHL or UPS and they both take 4 working days to get to me. Saturday is a working day for shipping calculations.

That's been my experience and how I found ways to save on shipping.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I would also recommend you familiarise yourself with Incoterms (DDU, DDP etc) as it will make clear who has what responsibility in the shipping process. Probably not relevant for small samples but if you get into larger shipments it might be useful.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
All the factories I've worked with in China use DHL and it usually takes 3-4 days to arrive. I always have the manufacturer ship using their account etc. Lowest cost is usually around $40 US for a 1-2lb sample shipment.

Mozzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 1, 2015
I'm in the US, in Florida specifically. I deal with a few factories in China and from time to time, I have to send stuff to China. Most of the time I receive stuff from China. The samples I get are small and lightweight for shipping purposes but the orders are very heavy.

I found a stupid "trick" a while back that saves me money: ALWAYS use the China factories shipping account and reimburse them.

I've found that if I ship something to anywhere in China, it cost me $100 and as low as $90 for a very small, lightweight item. I even wen to UPS and negotiated my rates as low as I could. I tried doing that with a few shipping companies but found it was a waste of my time. If I bill the shipping to the factory account, it cost me half!

If they ship something to me via air freight (which is all I use), the same package that I would ship to them on their account will cost me $45 but if they ship the package to me it will cost me between $25 and $35. What the...? My guess, they ship more so they get better rates. I really don't care, I just want to save money.

All my factories use either DHL or UPS and they both take 4 working days to get to me. Saturday is a working day for shipping calculations.

That's been my experience and how I found ways to save on shipping.
Hey NoMess, i really want to thankyou for sharing such good info to me and the community. Its really gold to me[emoji4] it definitely will help me alot in the future and at least i wouldnt have to spend unneccessary money on shipping. Really appreciate your help ! Also,i do hope that u wouldnt mind me seeking advices from in the future if possible. Thank you again.

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
Hey NoMess, Really appreciate your help ! Also,i do hope that u wouldnt mind me seeking advices from in the future if possible. Thank you again.

I'll try my best but I suggest you ask via the forum for everyone's benefit. Others may also have different insight that is more valuable than mine. :)

Mozzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 1, 2015
I would also recommend you familiarise yourself with Incoterms (DDU, DDP etc) as it will make clear who has what responsibility in the shipping process. Probably not relevant for small samples but if you get into larger shipments it might be useful.
I am also starting to read more on incoterms and the paperworks that needs to be done when shipping. Definitely relevant for future.

Mozzie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Nov 1, 2015
I'll try my best but I suggest you ask via the forum for everyone's benefit. Others may also have different insight that is more valuable than mine. :)
Totally agree! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.