The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you handle the thought. "Why should anyone pay you for that?"

Anything related to matters of the mind

Elay Morex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 9, 2020
Portugal
How can I prevent this thought to pop up all the time, I started my consulting business back in November and I even already got to high ticket clients, I'm executing every day. But still, my mind is always trying to F*ck me over by telling me, "Why should anyone pay you for that?". I guess it comes from all the failed Sales calls I already had and still trying to keep going. But this thought is so annoying, how do you cope with that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Talk to past clients and spend time understanding how you helped and what difference it made.

Its good to work on mindset of course with sales but the #1 confidence builder is real results you have already gotten folk.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
How can I prevent this thought to pop up all the time, I started my consulting business back in November and I even already got to high ticket clients, I'm executing every day. But still, my mind is always trying to F*ck me over by telling me, "Why should anyone pay you for that?". I guess it comes from all the failed Sales calls I already had and still trying to keep going. But this thought is so annoying, how do you cope with that?
Legitimate question.

How much are they paying for Similar service to your competitors?

What are your selling point relative to market price? Do you provide better advisory for the same price? Do you provide a lot of value in return just tiny premium over the market price?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I would differentiate between thoughts that are just "noise" and thoughts that are legitimate.

Obviously, this is a thought that's just "noise." People have demonstrated that they ARE willing to pay you for your consulting services.

"Why should anyone pay you for that?" is a question that you ask at the beginning of your market research phase. If no one is going to pay you, you pivot to a different idea until you find one that pays you.

The question is answered once you've gained some high-ticket clients. They're paying you because they perceive that the value of what you offer outweighs the dollars they're giving you.

I recommend that you don't entertain the thoughts that are just noise. Put them on "ignore." When they come into your brain, have a good alternate topic handy so that you can immediately change the subject and start thinking about something else.

Entertaining this thought will only distract you, bog you down, and hinder your forward progress.

Edit: Congratulations, by the way, and welcome to the forum!

Elay Morex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 9, 2020
Portugal
Legitimate question.

How much are they paying for Similar service to your competitors?

What are your selling point relative to market price? Do you provide better advisory for the same price? Do you provide a lot of value in return just tiny premium over the market price?
Yeah so my Coaching USP is helping young adults living abroad to build a meaningful social life and overcome feelings of loneliness. The value is tremendously high, because it's based on solution selling, so the prices are in the 4 figure range. I got good feedback from my current clients but still, I think my mind is the biggest obstacle. How do you cope with that?
GG

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Recommended book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCJZ3G/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 15, 2020
UK

I realised (and learnt) the science behind why we think the way we do.
Formation of habits is the same for the mind as is driving a car.

keep telling it something and it will reframe to the previous time you told it.
Think something new and over time the repetitive thought will become habit.

Why is it so hard?
Because I brain tries to protect us and says hellll nooooo when a new , scary, unknown thought is provoked or given.

The battle is controlling your mind to repeatedly say the result you want.

tell yourself it’s worth it. Day in day out.
One day you’ll see it’s natural.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would differentiate between thoughts that are just "noise" and thoughts that are legitimate.

Obviously, this is a thought that's just "noise." People have demonstrated that they ARE willing to pay you for your consulting services.

"Why should anyone pay you for that?" is a question that you ask at the beginning of your market research phase. If no one is going to pay you, you pivot to a different idea until you find one that pays you.

The question is answered once you've gained some high-ticket clients. They're paying you because they perceive that the value of what you offer outweighs the dollars they're giving you.

I recommend that you don't entertain the thoughts that are just noise. Put them on "ignore." When they come into your brain, have a good alternate topic handy so that you can immediately change the subject and start thinking about something else.

Entertaining this thought will only distract you, bog you down, and hinder your forward progress.

Edit: Congratulations, by the way, and welcome to the forum!
On the 'noise' version of this thought:

Good business owners are all about return on investment, in every area of their business. "If I invest time/money/effort into this thing, will I make a large enough profit to make it worth while, and will this 'thing' fit into my overall strategy?"

When they look at you and the service you're providing, in order to buy, they have to expect, and then experience a good return on investment that fits well into their strategy.

Someone whose time is precious will hire you even though they or one of their employees could do what you do. If they do hire you, they've judged that spending money with you is a better use of resources than having someone internal do that work. Internal people already have day jobs that may end up making the company more money than the money potentially saved by not hiring you.

Someone who thinks that you can provide them with a service that they couldn't do themselves, that they desperately need, will very likely hire you.

Here are some examples:

Business owners could clean their offices, but they don't. They hire a cleaning service instead because its a better use of resources.

Business owners will hire a marketing agency, and keep paying them money when that marketing agency brings them more business than they could have brought in without them.

Business owners will hire me to build a custom software system for them when the time, effort and expense of building up an internal team of developers doesn't make sense for a project. (I once worked for a company who thought they were about to land a $200m contract with FedEx to provide some hardware and software. FedEx, smartly, realized that for 1/20th that price, they could hire their own team of people to do the same thing, and that's what they did. Now, if this were $20m and $1m, FedEx would probably have not bothered to bring it internal. $200m, though, is a ton of money

D

Deleted78083

It is some sort of bias because you can't put yourself in your clients' shoes. You know the topic on which you are consulting so you wouldn't need to pay someone to tell you stuff on this topic. However, you don't understand how other people don't know about that, and so you're wondering why you're getting paid to do something you yourself wouldn't pay for. Your problems are:
1. You don't see/understand how you are actually offering value (because maybe you might think everyone is like you?)
2. You can't put yourself in your clients' shoes.

My advice is to just get out and help as many people as you can so you "understand others better".

PS: please dont take this badly, obviously, i don't know you but i have the same problems than you, and it expresses this way for me. Maybe i am just plain wrong, who the f knows

Good luck!

M.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Yeah so my Coaching USP is helping young adults living abroad to build a meaningful social life and overcome feelings of loneliness. The value is tremendously high, because it's based on solution selling, so the prices are in the 4 figure range. I got good feedback from my current clients but still, I think my mind is the biggest obstacle. How do you cope with that?
GG
I think only your existing group of clients can give you reassuring answer.

For Highly Priced premium service product the pool of customer will be small. I think it is easy to run out of leads in this space and the referral has to be strong.

But if you have decent sales and good feedback it is too early to worry about a problem that has not yet appeared. Do you have many customers who told you they like your service but price is too high?

Maybe you are doing well, and you worry about things cannot be so easy in the long run. High profit margin will attract competition to copy what you are doing.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

WHY SHOULD anyone pay you for that? Great question, whats the answer?

Elay Morex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 9, 2020
Portugal
It is some sort of bias because you can't put yourself in your clients' shoes. You know the topic on which you are consulting so you wouldn't need to pay someone to tell you stuff on this topic. However, you don't understand how other people don't know about that, and so you're wondering why you're getting paid to do something you yourself wouldn't pay for. Your problems are:
1. You don't see/understand how you are actually offering value (because maybe you might think everyone is like you?)
2. You can't put yourself in your clients' shoes.

My advice is to just get out and help as many people as you can so you "understand others better".

PS: please dont take this badly, obviously, i don't know you but i have the same problems than you, and it expresses this way for me. Maybe i am just plain wrong, who the f knows

Good luck!

M.
This is epic advice! Thanks a lot!

Photool

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 17, 2020
Orlando Florida
WHY SHOULD anyone pay you for that? Great question, whats the answer?

Elay, Did you ever come up with an answer?

My Perspective :

Paradoxically your mind is doing you a favor and urging your for clarity & purpose - Ask and you shall receive .I would face the question - deep introspection & contemplation on all the value attributes, intentions, and reasons WHY will create a more empowering frame of view. Its the blurriness and or lack of clarity that causes doubt and order. Food for thought - Simply answering it & igniting it with evoking language will bring you clarity & more direction.

So I'll second this - answer it & articulate it out of your mind here - What is the specific value you are providing and why should anyone pay you for that "specific value" you are providing?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.