The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you feel about alternative Top Level Domains?

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Im having a bit of a fit here with this certain brand name. To get the .com would mean adding a extra letter. For example carss.com instead of cars.com.

Have the .store or .shop TLDs taken hold with people yet? Or would most just not get it. And does it even matter anymore since people are just clicking a link 99% of the time? Do you find it a better alternative then adding letters to words?

I know this is pretty low on the list of important things when trying to bring a product to market. Its more just something thats driving me nuts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I've noticed that some people have had success with .io in the tech sector. For the most part, I still think that people default to .com or net whenever they type something in.

I don't know why, but I feel a bit unsure about most websites that don't use one of the big three domains (except in certain cases where they use .me or .io). You're probably still better off just finding a way to brand yourself.

Also, I'm not sure how much I believe you about the 99% of the time it's people clicking links. Once I visit a site relatively regularly, I just type it in. And if it doesn't use a .com then I'm probably going to get redirected a few times before I remember its a .net or whatever

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I've noticed that some people have had success with .io in the tech sector. For the most part, I still think that people default to .com or net whenever they type something in.

I don't know why, but I feel a bit unsure about most websites that don't use one of the big three domains (except in certain cases where they use .me or .io). You're probably still better off just finding a way to brand yourself.

Also, I'm not sure how much I believe you about the 99% of the time it's people clicking links. Once I visit a site relatively regularly, I just type it in. And if it doesn't use a .com then I'm probably going to get redirected a few times before I remember its a .net or whatever

Yea you're right. I was thinking about new customers. If you dont have the site bookmarked then I doubt most people are even close to typing in xyz.store etc....

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
I think that as of right now, the timing is still not right to begin using them for personal projects. Like many others here have said, most people still default to .com, or .net, etc. The only successful "new" domain I've seen pop up is the aforementioned ".io" that's holding a big stake in the tech sector.

However - I believe people will continue to grow and the oncoming internet generations will indeed grow accustomed to new domain extensions in the years to come. If you don't mind sitting on a few renewal fees, I think now would be a good time to get in early on the next wave of available web real estate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Not sure what type of business you have, if ecommerce I would stick with .com and just add something like "shop" or "online" or "co" at the end so www.yourbrand"shop".com. If not I would go with .co or .net. Just my opinion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.