The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you deal with Haters?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
A lot of it intertwines with who I choose to surround myself with. I'm a very polarizing person. If I like you, then I'm going to go out of my way to help create value in your life, and help you get closer to your goals and dreams. If I hate you, I'll blatantly tell you to F*ck off.

My friends consist of a group of individuals that want to see me succeed. They want me to hit my goals, and likewise, I want to see them hit their goals. Anyone that does not want to see me succeed, is sadly not a friend, and has been cut out from my life. By doing so, I've cut down the actual "haters" mainly to the internet and extreme assholes.

Then, whenever I do have people "hate", I pay a lot less attention. I have my group of friends, and could care less. Psychologically, I don't have a need for approval from people lesser than me, and hence can concentrate on the things that matter instead of pleasing some terrible person.

Here's a good video from Joakim Noah on the topic (I'd watch the whole thing, but best part starts around 32 seconds in):

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Mostly ignore.
Never intimidate or put shame on yourself because someone else doesn't like you.
It's really their problem, not yours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I have a lot of haters comment on my facebook ads.

I can now do the 2-click combination for "hide comment" and "ban user" blind :cool:

Laughing all the way to the bank baby

G

GuestUser113

Nothing to get worked up about. I laugh at them, then walk away. Gotta shake it off.

OnMqkas.png

GreatestManEver

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 19, 2014
NYC
Remember to keep an open mind, sometimes what you might think is hate could be useful feed back, that could bring value to you.
It can also help you, get to know your enemy or hater better.
If they are talking about you, you made some kind of impact.

If it is a real hater, that can't bring any value, and is only negative to you and your product.
1. Deal with it like a politician, play it smart.
2. The lion doesn't care what the dung beetle thinks.
3. Be centered in your reality, don't get to reactive, don't let some negative hateful beta mess up your day.

If it's the internet, it's pretty easy to deal with it, most things online now a days have a ignore or block button, this forum has a ignore function as well.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Toohey: Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us.

Roark: But I don't think of you.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Assuming this is a serious business publicity question:
If they are trashing your customer service, reply directly and publicly and do all you can to make them happy or refund their money.
If they are trashing your product, provide reviews / features / etc. that they may not have seen or understood.
If they are trashing you personally, issue a statement saying you have reached out to them on a personal level and then do so.

If you are just talking about noise, forums, online haters...... do not waste your time. Do not let a vocal few steer. Let sales and customer surveys steer.

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
A mentor once told me "People who care what others think of them will always be limited to others opinions."

So I pay no mind to haters. Some haters that I've had are those who are/were close to me. I cant be bothered with why they hate. I'll let them sit on the sidelines while I pursue all things great.

"Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated."-Coretta Scott King

G

GuestUser113

Toohey: Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us.

Roark: But I don't think of you.

Another quote from Fountainhead that I like. Which is a good book by Ayn Rand. The movie is great as well.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Who gives a shit. That's my take. They obviously bother you enough you felt compelled to start a thread on it. That right there is already giving them too much credit.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think people should care. But I think how we react to the haters is what's important. I think the gold nugget here is that when you begin to make an impact, you'll begin to see haters, lovers, commenters, etc. There will be opinions. Cherish it. Not everyone is going to love you or your product. Having an impact is what's important, and being able to discern haters from constructive criticism. You are only as strong as your weakest link, and if they are revealing your weaknesses, it's a great opportunity to improve upon those.

But I can't go as far as saying I don't care what the haters say, because I do. And I should care.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
  1. Haters don't know what they're talking about. They THINK they know, but they're wrong
  2. Children don't know what they're talking about. They THINK they know, but they're wrong
  3. Treat haters the same way you treat children.
Imagine a child who tells you it's "impossible" for planes to fly because "they're too heavy". No matter how many arguments you give them explaining how planes fly, they keep finding arguments for why it's impossible.

It'd take an insecure adult to get into an argument with a child. A slightly older child might get into a legit argument with the young child.... but an adult never will. They'll just smile and say "sure thing champ." In the end, what the child thinks has no impact on the adult or actual reality.

This is what MJ is talking about when he says "Your reality doesn't affect mine". It doesn't matter what the kids say or what reality children live in, it doesn't affect you, it ultimately doesn't matter.

I now filter most of what my friends, family, media, etc. say through this children lens. It's a little amusing, it makes me smile when I hear cute things like "It's impossible". I don't get angry, I don't talk down, I don't argue, I just smile and say "sure thing champ."

mars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 19, 2014
New Jersey
You ever meet a hater doing better than you?

Welcome them with open arms. That's a haters job...to Hate. It's our job to reach levels in life that they could never achieve or believe possible and give them more to hate on.

I love haters!

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
2 things about haters:

#1) Don't react, as if you react you're pulled in into a discussion. unless you have a sollid response that makes you look better and nobody can bring anything against it.
#2) Read what they say and see what part is truth of it. (Every hate or complaint has a base of truth in it.) If you see the same points coming in over and over again, it's time to adjust your approach, product or service.
#3) After that you can hide the hate if it makes you look bad.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference.

So in reality, they're not haters...they're often just jealous people with their own inner issues. Maybe they have low self esteem because they don't think they can accomplish what you have. Perhaps their mom or dad didn't give them any attention when they were younger, causing them to feel like they weren't worthy of much. Everyone has their story and no one escapes unscathed.

3492.jpg

Pray for your haters...and carry an umbrella at all times.

Seriously though, pray for them. Can you imagine how the world would be if EVERYONE felt truly worthy of greatness? Fear, pain, suffering, insecurity, disappointment, and jealousy would disappear. All those negative feelings would be replaced by love, joy, inner peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control.

They would place zero limits on what they're capable of and there would probably be a revolution by next week.

Last edited:

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
But I can't go as far as saying I don't care what the haters say, because I do. And I should care.
You might be confusing hate and criticism. One is valuable, the other is just noise.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I have a lot of haters comment on my facebook ads.

I can now do the 2-click combination for "hide comment" and "ban user" blind :cool:

Laughing all the way to the bank baby

@theag I used to have a master list of words that I would just add to the profanity filter in the Page Settings, so pretty much every comment was auto-hidden, and then daily I'd just go in and approve the good ones to show. Saves a lot of time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.