The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do we help people who REALLY need help?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Money comes as a result of providing value, coming up with solutions for the problems that people have, and fulfilling their desires/needs.

However, most of the times when we talk or take action in regards to entpreneurialism and fastlane pursuits we're only targeting business owners or consumers who by all accounts already live pretty good lives.

What about those who live in poverty and/or reside in third world countries? How do we help the impoverished, disenfranchised, and those who are almost hopeless due to their circumstances?

According to the fastlane doctrine if we impact millions we will make millions, and there are millions, maybe billions, of people who need help who are not business owners or consumers who have the luxury of spending money on things that are not necessities.

Am I asking for an answer to a question that I should probably find myself? Maybe. But I think this could be a good discussion nonetheless

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jfny

Oh it's coming. Just wait.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Apr 23, 2016
Money comes as a result of providing value, coming up with solutions for the problems that people have, and fulfilling their desires/needs.

However, most of the times when we talk or take action in regards to entpreneurialism and fastlane pursuits we're only targeting business owners or consumers who by all accounts already live pretty good lives.

What about those who live in poverty and/or reside in third world countries? How do we help the impoverished, disenfranchised, and those who are almost hopeless due to their circumstances?

According to the fastlane doctrine if we impact millions we will make millions, and there are millions, maybe billions, of people who need help who are not business owners or consumers who have the luxury of spending money on things that are not necessities.

Am I asking for an answer to a question that I should probably find myself? Maybe. But I think this could be a good discussion nonetheless
It's an easy two-step process really.
1) Figure out what problems they're having.
2) Find a solution for it.

There's really no other pieces to puzzle than that. The reason so many problems are yet to be fixed is because if you're talking millions/billions of people affected, it's going to take a LOT of capital to fix. The kind of capital that only governments and huge corporations have access to. Governments are too lazy to fix it. Corporations are too greedy to fix it. However, there are some people out there who actually are trying. Let's look at these few examples:

Millions of people do not have access to clean drinking water.
LifeStraw created a straw that filters water on the spot.
lifestraw.com

Millions of people do not have access to electricity.
Solar lights are being distributed to the countries that need it most in an attempt to replace hazardous kerosene lamps.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/10/tech/innovation/solar-powered-led-lamps/

Millions of people do not have access to the internet.
Facebook is building drones to provide internet to some of the more underdeveloped places on earth.
https://www.wired.com/2016/01/facebook-zuckerberg-internet-org/

The question is not whether or not are we doing anything to help (unless we're talking about Syria). It's more, why aren't we helping any faster?
Most of it is due to limited resources.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The question is not whether or not are we doing anything to help (unless we're talking about Syria). It's more, why aren't we helping any faster?
Most of it is due to limited resources.

I was wondering about the same thing?
Why are there not enough resources to assist entrepreneurs, let alone Fastlaners to give more good and value?
Then I read the childish news in the papers, the whining of the masses on FB and reddit, and the ignorant crap on TV, and I had the answer....

IGNORANCE

...or rather DENIAL.

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
I concur with the sentiment that it requires huge capital. Furthermore, the people who have these types problems do not have the wherewithal to pay to have the problems solved. Generally speaking the people who need this form of assistance are doing well if they make by on living off the land. They can't pay to have their malaria cured for example.

It seems that most of the problems you referenced are being tackled by billion and million-aires in a philanthropic nature rather than to generate economic returns. As you know Bill Gates is generously using his vast wealth to help solve huge problems, but not for significant financial return.

There is probably a different level of poverty that could be targeted to generate wealth. Rather than the completely impoverished, the countries that do not have the same living standards of the 'west' but have relative wealth could be targeted. Provide a good or service that is widely available here for their benefit. A cynic would suggest that is what Facebook are doing with Internet.org. Providing the internet to people who do not have it is a huge benefit and admirable goal. However, this is likely to be to their advantage in some way or another, millions more users, users usage would be directed to places in their favour.

There may be more opportunity for wealth generation in that sort of level of problem solving.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/cause-related-marketing-millennial-mindset/142701

http://www.sustainablebrands.com/ne...brands/study_81_consumers_say_they_will_make_

http://mashable.com/2015/01/11/corporate-social-causes/#MJOhhojPEkqJ

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/auren-kaplan/94-of-consumers-will-swit_b_1126628.html

Lesson from the above? Don't be the charity that gives out bottled water (or whatever), be the company that uses charity as a marketing tool and people's innate philanthropic emotions to convert them into buyers.

Why do you think so many companies use the pink ribbon for the Komen foundation? Is it a desire to help the charitable cause of fighting breast cancer, or is the tremendous brand recognition that Komen has built?

Edit:

Barring that, get wealthy and impact millions like Bill and Melinda Gates have done.

jmomcc

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 10, 2014
My wife works in fundraising. One of the problems with charities is that the general public's attitude is toxic in a sense. People want every cent they give to go the cause helped by that charity. They would rather give to the charity that gives $99 of every $100 they get rather than the one that gives $50 of every $100. That makes sense on the face of it, but often the latter charity will use that 50% to grow their donations to where they actually provide much more money to the cause. A lower % but a much higher amount.

It also means that charities can't hire anywhere near the best people. They are expected to pay way under rate for the best and brightest so they don't get them. Especially, when there is no upside for that person. They get massively underpaid AND will get criticised for not doing it for 40k.. because its a charity.

Thankfully, my wife works for a hospital foundation with an endowment that pays the wages... so they can truthfully say that every cent donated goes to the hospital. People need to hear that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's an easy two-step process really.
1) Figure out what problems they're having.
2) Find a solution for it.

Ditto.

Perhaps I misjudged you. ;)

Rep+

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Disclaimer: I am a slightly disillusioned former do-gooder.

One of the biggest problems you will face when selling to the poor, other than the world's most inefficient distribution channels is the fact that government and charity has its nose in every aspect of the marketplace. No matter how efficient your enterprise is, you can't compete with free. Example: I used to work for a major iNGO that was sheltering refugees from an African conflict zone. They provided people with food, clothing, medical care, and housing (I use the term 'housing' here in the loosest possible sense). The end result: After 15 years, the refugees are still poor refugees, and the people that were local to that area are now poorer and the small businesses are now out of business. Why? You can't compete with free.

@thinkandgrowrich your sentiment is noble and I don't want to discourage you but when you try to do business in this marketplace you could overnight find yourself competing against people that have a COGS of 0 and don't have to make a profit. If you're still interested in business models that serve those in extreme poverty, read Mohammed Yunus and Hernando de Soto. That will help you get a better understanding of the lay of the land. If you have the opportunity to actually live alongside people in extreme poverty and learn about their lives, it's an exasperating but worthwhile experience if you approach it with humility and a very open mind. Your local charity or religious institution can probably help you find a way to be on a service project somewhere you'd never go on vacation.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd like to help more people.

And two quotes spring to mind:

1) "Put on your own oxygen mask first"

2) The Mother Theresa quote in my signature.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Go talk to people. What are they bitching about, what are they moaning about, what are they frustrated with, what are they angry about, what pains them, what stresses them out, what irritates them, what keeps them up at night, what do they hate doing ?.....

Find ways to help them with their shit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.