• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How do I stay motivated at university?

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by TimTheCoder, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $447
    I have an interesting perspective on this having been a self-taught programmer in middle school, went to a technical high school for information technology, want to college and got a business management and information technology degrees. This all occurred in the late 80s early 90s when people were nerds, not geeks. A degree was almost mandatory to work in the information technology field.

Things have radically changed. Here's a story...

I have employed PhD computer scientists with their heads enlarged with massive amounts of theory who when with working with them struggled to provide business value. We would have deep architectural discussions talking about the polymorphic object-oriented abstraction layers our platform should have to wit I would explain we' have a date that we have to hit to remain profitable (because of our burn rate). Not hearing me he would retort about how it's just the right way to design software, but I would have to literally explain to them if we do that we all go home.

Likewise, I have hired self-taught high school graduates who apologize at nausea about how they do not have a degree yet they managed to learn how to learn, acquired the need skills, focused on creating outcomes for our clients, and ultimately producing revenue for the organization. BOOM!

I am now homeschooling my children with an emphasis on character and integrity, and afterwords business management skills that can be applied towards professions they choose to pursue.

My best advice to you is to learn how to learn, look at the market and determine what skills are needed (hint: cloud, serverless apps, AI, BI, and data science) learn those skills, bill your self out at the highest rate you can, bankroll your cash, operationalizing your service, find other individuals to execute your playbook, scale the business, get acquired, figure out what you want to do next.

Sheens and TimTheCoder like this.
  2. TimTheCoder

TimTheCoder Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $224
    Yeah you're right. I will just get on with it I guess!

3. TimTheCoder

TimTheCoder Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $224
    Wow that is interesting. Learning how to learn is super important, especially since technology changes so quickly! Luckily I love learning new things, BUT not the way you learn at university where there is less practicality and most of it is sitting in a lecture. I think learning by doing is definitely better than any other approach, I think all these different "learning styles" are a myth. Everyone learns best by doing.

I like your advice, I think I've been focusing too much on what I want to do (which is usually web application development) rather than exploring technologies that are high in demand.