The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Questions:

What resources do you have available right now? A social media following? Some emails? Friends and family asking for personal training? A local gym you go to? Are you working at a gym already? Are you a part of a club or group of people somewhere?

Simple ideas:
  • Start with your circle. Tell friends and family you are starting a personal training business and see if anyone would want training.
  • Find a professional place. If you are serious about being a full-time personal trainer... it makes sense to work at a gym. They will provide you with leads and a place to train for a cut of your sessions (like everywhere else). It's still your business... and you have to treat it that way... but consider it lead generation.
  • Ask for 3 referrals from everyone you speak to. Whether they become a client or not.
Advanced ideas:
  • Run targeted FB ads to people who follow other bodybuilders (or yourself) "wanna train with me!?"
  • 2-Step FB Organic Posts. "here's how I train, here's how I eat, etc." and then "If you'd like my workout routine, comment "routine" below and I'll DM you. Start a meaningful conversation and ask the right questions to turn into a sales conversation.
  • Swipe Up Instagram Ads. If you have enough followers, do consistent story posts with the offer. You'll need a cheap landing page of course but that's not so hard to piece together.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest931Xfjyx

Absolutely quality advice from most of you.

The biggest takeaways I've received:
- just start. if you had 5 days to sell to 100 people, what would you do?
- sell your services to your ideal customer
- possibly offer something as cheap as a $5 first time session
- ask for feedback about my service
- walk the floor at the gym and be helpful/friendly
- set weekly quotas for how many people youre going to try to sell to each week
- ask for 3 refferals from everyone you know

Cheers to all of you. Not kidding.

Now I just need to prove I want it and execute.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
You know what, you're right on the credibility. @ZCP idea is fantastic.

I go to the gym loads and have been bulking recently. I'd love to put on more muscle & I'm currently doing a regime of push, pull, legs. DM me if you want a second client.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
so i asked @JLE if i could post my dm back to him ..... i have a long day of meetings and won't be back to this for a while, so i'll go ahead and post it to help others and can take it down if he asks me to......

----
like it. am glad you dm'd me. was concerned you might ghost when called to the carpet.

i do this a lot. help people get started. so if cool with you, i'll do my standard routine of being the 'customer' AND your advisor / critic / accountability partner. that work? you in? are you really in?

just like you told me, you get what you put in!
i can lead you to water..... :)

suggest you focus on the value equation
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MHQr-Z17Hc&t=1s

let's look at the 4 components

right now, your questions your sent should help determine my dream outcome

i would have a huge fear of 'can he help me' ... so i suggest you map out the rough schedule / tools / things we will do in what order to help achieve my 90 day outcome. CLEARLY walk me through the journey before i've even started.

for time, your clear plan would show me that 90 days WILL produce a result AND if you had me do 'something' today, i would already be going and involved

you've made clear the gym effort needed, the question is how to reduce the other effort. could you use the apps my former trainer used? is there an easier way to log food for instance? could you setup 'simple' guidelines to make this easier so that the 'gym effort' is the ONLY hard part?

hope that helps.
i will wait to get started until you CLEARLY show me the plan.
remove the friction and help your customer get started

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Life's a game. Right now I'm playing terribly, at least in my financial skill.

I'm 25 years old. Born in Florida, immigrated to Ontario. Married a Canadian girl. Have an apartment in a metropolitan area. Got a small dog. No debt and no college and no car. Very much in-shape. But I work minimum wage 7 day's a week and have seemingly no marketable skills.

For those of you that are financially successful in life, how would you play my game better? What should I do to level up? My biggest issue is finances.
From reading your progress thread I think your biggest issue is lack of confidence and belief. You have marketable skills already.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
This community is AMAZING! You received so many good answers and strategies, I can't express how appreciative I am to be here on this forum, and this is not even my thread lol. You actually recieved for FREE so many insights, it seems like they all want to help you more than you want to help yourself.

You said that you will come back after two years. Why not 3,4? You speak so much about the future and it is not even real. The only real thing is right NOW. If you want a better future, you must have a better now.

Also, you are what you practice. And in all the replies you practiced the delay strategy. Since you are what you practice, in these 2 years you will become very good at delaying things.

Just my two cents.
In 2 years time, he'll be 2 years behind every one who started today.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
The ultimate goal is to have an online fitness coaching service that follows the guidelines of CENTS. To build such a business it requires me to have an online following of some sort. From what I know of the successes of other coaches I've seen incomes ranging from $30k a year all the way up to $800k a year.

I've private messaged many established coaches. In particular, there's one making $30k a year and only has 2000~ Instagram followers, and there's one making $800k and has 32,000~ Instagram followers.

The largest determinates of their success, at least I'm led to believe, is their: current physique as a bodybuilder, previous accomplishments as a bodybuilder, successful client transformations, and following on social media.

Really never been a fan of the in-person coaching to begin with. I could do it if I found the time but it's not the quintessential location-independent and time-independent business I'm after.

I appreciate the tough love though, it's welcome anytime even if I don't end up agreeing with you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complete sidenote. I was DM'ing @BizyDad the other day and I'd sought out some tough love from him as well. Seems like I need an elongated verbal beatdown before very simple concepts seem to actually resonate with me. I'm incredibly hardheaded. I appreciate @BizyDad talking some sense into me. I really like the idea of starting a flooring installation business now that I've been mulling over it the past few days. He planted the idea of starting a local handyman/flooring installation business in my mind, building a website, business cards, and just cold calling. I really can't seem to shake that idea of his away as I know it would be successful. It's passed my mind several times for a few days. It's a great idea. I've watched my father make over $120k+ a year as a self-employed tradesman and I already have a hint of the knowledge it takes to do a lot of house repairs as I've previously worked in construction.

Anyway... Yeah just throwing out there that I've been thinking of that as a route a lot. Really been considering buying a car, starting a tradesman business with a very clear demand instead, and then using that to fund my bodybuilding ambitions (as I truly don't think I'm gonna break a great income in bodybuilding until the next 2+ years even if I do start now).

I need to start saving for a car and re-evaluate my options. I'm still pursuing bodybuilding 100% but wanted to throw this idea out there.

Congrats. And don't forget the tip I gave you on personal training as well...

Up. Your. Fee.

Charge more for in person than you will charge online.

I know you didn't believe me that I paid what I paid, but now that you know, I will tell you this...

I met a guy on Wednesday that pays twice what I do. TWICE.

He fell for the trainer with a big following, when my guy is just as good but no following. I know the big time trainer and he flat out told me my trainer is just as good, so this isn't simply my opinion.

Anyways, up your fee TODAY.

Then up it again "in 2 years" *chuckle* when you have a massive following.

I'm glad you're getting started. For all you know, Instagram might be worthless for marketing in 2 years. Seize the day.

I just want to say also, I couldn't be happier. Four years on the forum. I know I've had some impact on some people's lives. I know people have read what I've written and gotten ideas or encouragement or whatever.

This might be the first time someone has decided to make a dramatic shift because of something I wrote. That. Is. Amazing.

Thank you for this feedback. It means a lot.

So this is what @Kak or @ZCP or @Vigilante and others feel like when they blow someone's mind and watch the lesson sink in...

You're not waiting 2 years to get started and I'm not waiting 4 years to have this happen again.

lets-go-the-rock.gif

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'll take the ego blame too.

If this irritates you enough, ban me. Continue to slander me. Whatever you like.

Again... I'm doing this my way.

---------------------

EDIT: Gonna stop responding to all messages now. I'll come back in a few months with an update on my Instagram follower count. That's the route I want to take and I'm going to take.

Bro...

I think the issue everyone clearly has is you started a "progress" thread on the Fast Lane forum, but you desire neither Fast nor even the Lane.

You are and have been working a minimum wage job.

You popped back on to announce progress... of starting a following?

But you complain that $450 a month would be life changing and you still do nothing within your power to achieve it.

It's not the selfishness that bugs everyone, its the willful disregard of your own (and your family's) self-interest. We have people in third world countries that are making more than you in less time than you've been writing this thread...

The forum wants good examples. Either people who crushed their goals, or people who face challenges and overcome them, or people who make mistakes and keep trying.

Buddy, with respect, you are currently none of these. I actually read something about bodybuilding marketers. Everything you do and say lines up perfectly with what various Mr Olympia's teach.

So maybe start a progress thread on a bodybuilding forum? Because that's all you what this thread to be and we all want more than that from each other.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I am doing exactly what I need to be doing to scale my personal training business significantly -- and that's to build an online following.
That's great!

How many posts did you make this week?

How many fitness profiles have you engaged with?

1. I'm building myself as a bodybuilder
That doesn't exclusively mean bodyfat. That means the amount of muscle I have as well. This takes time. Years in-fact.
You're right!

Keep waiting until the time is perfect @JLE.

You are unable to provide any value to anyone since you are still building your body!

There are totally not guys with worse physiques than you with a better following.

Starting now would be stupid and @ZCP doesn't know what he's talking about!

A computer degree will lead to more personal training clients!

You are giving your all!

Nothing is your fault!

You will be proud of yourself when on your death bed knowing that you fulfilled your potential!

You think that delaying your goal to tomorrow is fine but its not. Days turn to weeks, weeks turn to years, years turn to decades, and before you know it you will die.

You have been on this forum for 5 years now. What have you accomplished?

You need to stop giving yourself excuses. Face reality. 5 YEARS AND NO RESULTS. You're working a shit job. Your wife is working a shit job too.

It is all your fault. Everything!

Do you want this to continue on? Are you truly satisfied with your life? Or do you want more?

Make the decision. Either go all in and dedicate yourself to freedom, or give up now and accept the scripted life.

What do you think your future self wants you to choose?
What do you choose JLE?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Is this true? Can all the work I'm doing learning React and Node from the ground up to build my platform land me a solid job by accident? I would prefer to be getting real industry experience than be stuck grinding out this (probably useless) business degree in college. I would like to know more about this if you have time to talk about it.

Calling me a liar, huh?

Yeah it works. Buy a react / node SaaS boilerplate and make a project out of it using AI (or doing whatever you feel like). Just add some cool features and host them on an EC2 instance (or SSD nodes if you want real cheap multi year hosting). Hosting a project like that would give you front end, back end, database, hosting, and possibly container and CICD experience. Try using Google's keyword planner to find hot topics and build a SaaS around that idea. Maybe you could skip the job entirely.

Smart tech companies ask to see your GitHub, so having some public repos with quality projects will help. Bonus points if you actually hosted the code and people use it.

You could find some tech group in your area and demo it. Or you could demo it in some online group. During covid I demoed some dashboard that I was building using the elastic stack and I ended up meeting the father of one of the guys who founded Mint. You'd be surprised who you meet and what opportunities come up when you talk about your projects.

You might not get a job at FAANG, but I've worked with some dumb developers and IT people. There is less competition than you'd think.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Social media is not the modern day email list. You own nothing, not even your account which is essentially licensed to you. Whether or not your efforts get seen are up to black box algorithms which you have limited control over. You are dependent on the third party platform to remain popular, and wholly limiting yourself to people who are on that platform.

There's also not a long term game here because there's no effort to convert anyone to a customer.

You aren't getting actual market feedback on a service, which is completely different from someone engaging with your posts.

If you'd get over your ego and actually try to fail fast, you could pivot and iterate and improve. But since you're not doing that, you don't actually know if that's what the market wants.

More importantly, you aren't doing anything to actually improve soft skills related to personal training - being relatable, being able to work with people, identify their problems, being able to sell a package, upsell a package, etc.

You think that just because you post some half naked body pics over a couple years on a third party platform that's going to be forgotten or dead in 5-10 years that you're going to be able to make a career out of it?

While building up no actual skills sitting in your security guard box, posting on forums and playing with Instagram?

It's bonkers delusional.

Why you can't spin up a landing page or even a basic 5 page site this week, drive some traffic to it (this week), grab an email or an interest form signup (this week), and then try to sell them on an online personal training package (this week). If it doesn't work, you will probably realize that posting more JaCkEd pictures of yourself on Instagram isn't going to change that. You'll have to figure out what is wrong in your process to make people not signup.

The real issue here is that you are comfortable coasting along, without taking any meaningful action. You fail to see that the competition who is succeeding is not only posting content 5x as much as you but also putting in the actual work needed to get clients. They have also spent years building up successful systems to reduce the amount of effort they have to put in. But without getting market feedback you aren't going to be able to have enough insights to pivot and be successful in 3 years when you wake up from your slumber and think, "ok time to get my first client."

I'd say it's sad to see the next few years of effort go to waste in a system that's working against you, but I'm not sure what you're doing qualifies as effort.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
For those coming behind and reading this thread, does anyone really think that if he put his heart and soul into whatever was needed to make this happen, that he would still be a security guard in 6 months?

These are the people I feel for .... the answer is so simple. Yet they refuse to help themselves.

It is Oct 31, 2023. Years from now if you are reading this, hit reply. Let me know if we saved one soul from this sad existence of hope and waiting. Don't be this guy.

Get help, get advice, follow it, try it, fail. Rebuild and pivot. Do not be stopped. Be undeniable. Build an amazing future and then come back and help others do the same!

Good luck @JLE . If you ever feel a remote crack in that diamond skull and want to do a call to get some real actionable steps, week by week, to build this easily achievable dream. hit me up.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
For the first part, I'm literally going to school for computer programming. My first class is tomorrow. I gave up trying to find the career without a diploma, but clearly I haven't given up entirely.

OK.

For this second part, I've already got on a phone call with ZCP before. Plus I've already laid out the plan that I intend to execute. You must have missed the context or simply ignored the context of my plan, like everyone else, and so yeah gonna ignore your input in retribution.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, then my point is proven.

I think your plans are based on vague, wishful thinking. You have to think about what you're going to do in the next 7 days rather than 2-3 years from now.

I have a client in the same space whose physique is nothing special (and I'm 99% sure he's chemically enhanced, meaning he wouldn't even be average-looking in the gym if he was natural) and I'm making him 5 figures/m with 10 minutes of work every other day.

He's probably making 30-40K/m in total from all sales channels.

I only started working with him recently but a few months ago he was running this business with just one other guy, now they've hired at least 3 other coaches and 10 other people to get on calls with his leads.

They've got a landing page + FB Ads running and a Calendly link to book a call.

So...

Let's say you get that insane physique you're after... Do you think you'll magically know how to set up a funnel and PPC ads get killer ROAS from the start?

Or are you deluded into thinking your Instagram following will do the heavy work? My client has 80K followers and we live in a small country where supposedly a lot of people know him, and yet he's had like 2 people pay him for coaching from his Instagram.

It's inevitable you're going to fail with your current priorities man.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This thread summed up.

OP: "I WANT TO START A BUSINESS "

OP: "works out instead for 10 years"

Forum: " didn't you want to start a business?"

OP: "I am"

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@LightHouse Chris, need a favor. Could you post here (or DM @JLE if it gets too emotional / personal), could you post what happened in your life after reading Awaken the Giant Within?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Ultimately I *think* I would like to make an income from online fitness coaching.

I wouldn’t even have to make much to meet a standard I‘d find a bare minimum for happiness.

Problem is, I don’t presently think I‘m good enough to sell myself in an online space.

ZCP has been trying to convince me to go for in-person clients for the time being as a solution to this.

The world doesn't care about you and what you want. The world cares only about what you can do for them. You've been given the tools, more than you should have been afforded TBH.

YOu have a choice do something or I can see this thread being closed/lose momentum, etc and then you are out of resources.

It's commendable that @ZCP is even making an attempt at this point. To his own detriment he wants to see people have a breakthrough.... In this situation it seems like you don't want that to happen.

My recommendation has nothing to do with biz at this point... you don't need business, you need therapy.

I don't mean to be rude suggesting that, but there is a root cause to your inaction and it has nothing to do with biz tactics, sales funnels, or instagram.

How can I suggest that without knowing you? I have coached hundreds of entrepreneurs from all walks of life, and I can see and recognize the patterns from miles away at this point. I am no psychologist, but it's very clear that you are sticking here hoping to find the answer while doing nothing to actually find it... that's a specific pattern that has roots in things that aren't (and shouldn't) be discussed on this forum or in public.

I hope you find your way my man. Life can open up wonders for you if you fix the roots.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Too many people think starting a business will solve their problems but the reality is that they will never be able to launch or sustain a successful business and achieve their dreams until they work through all the stuff that is actually holding them back.

The way I see it goes like this: Personal mastery -> business success -> dream outcome
Yep. This is why I'm in this thread. This is the single biggest anchor around people's necks. They KNOW what to do. They just CAN'T get started. SO many people would be productive, amazing, value creating parts of our world IF we could get them out of their own way.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
---------------------
Again, for those coming behind, this was the path I was steering him toward:

Decide
This is where he is and the hardest part. Getting out of your own way and releasing yourself from the mental prison of excuses and reasons and victimhood and why are you are where you should be. This often requires therapy. It’s gonna require an FTE and is in all honesty, the hardest step of all.

Brainstorm
Here we begin to build and exercise the muscle of creativity. Brainstorming solutions, and making connections and learning how to find a way to create solutions and make things happen. This is where we replace 'why I can’t' with 'how CAN I?'.

Pay yourself first
Here we make the financial shift. If you do not pay yourself first, you can never get out of the loop. The system and the script will own you forever if you do not have a way to pay yourself and invest your money and divorce your time from your money. If you cannot find the creativity and discipline to start stacking an investment fund each month and making yourself important, you will never escape.

Stack consistent action and wins
Now we just get to work. Do an action, get a result. And begin to work on the concept of leverage. Where you get two and three and four for ones for your time. Or you combine things and put things together to get the results that you’re after, and build your confidence in doing so

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Sounds like we might finally get the progress thread we've been waiting for... :clap:::bicep:

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
It shouldn't be this difficult.

And it shouldn't take an entire forum to convince you of the very simple steps that lay ahead of you.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed in anyone that continues to offer their unwelcomed advice to you.

In this thread, you have everything you need already. Rather than wasting more member's resources and time, this thread should be locked and you should reread it 10-15x, on top of reading the two books again - all while taking action.

Then, when you're ready, go make an actual progress and execution thread instead of this woe-is-me sorry affair that is going on here. And don't require that 75 people try to nudge you along for each tiny step of the journey.

Otherwise, you are sitting here as an energy vampire of sorts and not only sucking up amazing value and taking time from people who shouldn't have given it to you over and over again, but you're doing nothing with it. This latest run has been going on for weeks. At least try to be respectful of the people who have given you curated, situation-specific advice. Be better.

You've got to do it for yourself man. You're beyond our help here. You know what you need to do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Moreover if you really want to be pedantic, the thread deletion and user account deletion policy is linked at the bottom of the page.

This isn't accurate at all.

-------

You all jump to be rude to me truly.

I very bluntly said I'm ready to take action and share every step of the way completely openly under one small condition of deleting this thread and account so I can start over and that condition is too much.

You can delete your account, but it won’t delete this thread.

And as for creating a new account, I likely will not approve it because you have just proven here that you are thief of other user's time.

By requesting this thread to be deleted (it won't) you have just stolen the time of countless users.

Thief.

It is incredibly selfish and I can think of no act that is more disrespectful.

And you want me to sign off to your theft?

No.

Here's a solution, take it or leave it.

1) Move this thread to the Speedway (which is private and only seen by users with 50+ posts) which I can do. It will die a slow death there.
2) Immediately change your username to whatever you'd like.
3) Start your new progress thread as you envisioned.

Or

1) Be a quitter, delete your account, and leave for good -- this thread moves from a JLE thread, to a Guest3104x3 thread and we all discuss the wannabe entrepreneur who had the physique of the Incredible Hulk, but the mental fortitude of Gertrude the Goldfish.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
It would have been easy to let MJ reply to this and say yes or no, instead everyone jumped on him giving him a hard time after he had just taken a positive step.

Would have been better to let JLE get on with it rather than giving him shit.

Better why? Do you think the outcome would have been any different?

When Chosen One pulled the same thing, a lot of us were privately offended at his deleting our words.

Why should those kind of comments be private instead of public?

only for that stranger to create a new set of dumb reasons why he cannot move forward with that advice.

This was my experience with JLE in private. I spent weeks literally overcoming every objection he had to starting a business.

I would present a vision that sounded reasonable and doable to him. He would come up with a reason why it was not going to work.

I would adjust the vision to allow for his limited mindset.

We went back and forth for a few weeks.

In the end I presented a business idea that was well within his capability and he had no more reasons to say no.

He knew he had no more reasons to say no.

He still said no.

And stayed his minimum wage security job.

And now he's worried about his job.

Side note, I have a client that runs one of the largest security guard companies in Arizona. Guys that look like JLE get prime jobs. They are so rare and highly valued in that industry.

JLE recently complained he was going to get a worse posting. That says a lot about how he conducts himself at work.

I was obviously wrong about this guy's make up, but the optimist in me won't let it affect how I treat the next person I think is an unpolished gem.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
He had just made a positive change and had a discussion with his wife about the debt he just took on and how he was doing a (albeit positive 180) on it. Dude was probably feeling a bit vulnerable and then felt like he was being attacked for finally doing what everyone had been telling him to do. Quitting the forum is probably the only way he saw out.
Let's be clear. He made NO change whatsoever. I don't want anyone coming behind thinking he actually did anything.
Quitting, quitting, checking on some business cards, and then quitting are not positive change.

Admitting he was the problem and giving up his personal bodybuilding for 6 months to do whatever it takes to put money in his wife's life would have been a CHANGE.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
He had just made a positive change

I hear what you are saying. I'm sympathetic to the point of view, and sometimes on these threads I land on the "give the guy some grace" vs other times "give the guy tough love".

Shoot, I've done both in this thread.

If this was truly a positive change, he wouldn't have added this new "I want to use my name so delete this thread" requirement.

That requirement of his has literally nothing to do with his future success.

If he has learned his lessons, this would have never happened.

He is a self-sabotager and when faced with the real prospect of moving forward, he got scared again and did what he does best...

Sabotage.

Like ZCP pointed out earlier, this allows his brain to "save face" because he sees us and MJ as the unreasonable ones.

He made superficial changes, likely damaged his relationship further.

In the four or eight waking hours he had, he could've built a website.

Instead he sabotaged his marriage some more.

In the time he posted here, he could've written some ads.

Instead he sabotaged some more.

But at least those businesses cards he had designed over two years ago are "in process". He hasn't ordered them, but he is thinking about picking which design and how to order them, so his brain can label this "doing something".

Literally nothing but sabotage has been accomplished.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It would have been easy to let MJ reply to this and say yes or no, instead everyone jumped on him giving him a hard time after he had just taken a positive step.

Would have been better to let JLE get on with it rather than giving him shit.

Sometimes the truth hurts. There is a common denominator here. The consensus is clearly in. He can be constructive with the truth or he can deny it to his on detriment. Based on my observations here, I don't think any of us are surprised he chose the latter.

R.jpeg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Meanwhile, today, @Spenny had a breakthrough:

I'm all for helping people, but there's a great line by Amy Hoy:

"Help the people in motion."

Gym instructors find clients down the gym, not on couches.

Anyone care to cheer on Spenny and give him some feedback and suggestions?

LOL, what a contrast to this clusterfuck of a thread.

Someone talking himself into failure...

And someone working himself into success...

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
I appreciate the tip, I know you had good intentions with it, though that sounds like a surefire way to do what everyone else is doing with no results.

How do I PULL my customers in?

What value can I potentially add? What seperates me from every other trainer?
I would not say its not working, if you have not tried it.
You say you want to PULL them in. Yes but to do that, customers must know that you actually exist and that you are competent at your job.
I would not miss out on social media, because everyone is searching on their phones today, trying to find a good personal trainer. No internet presence, no finding JLE.

If you are not to be found nowhere, how should you be able to PULL customers in?
Make yourself known, become a known expert in the field.

another one: Offer free personal training sessions in your area. use local focused websites.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
our engineering customers get a clear proposal with scope/cost/schedule.
then we do an onboarding call where we talk them through how the job will go.... we will ask a lot of questions, to the point where wonder if we know what we are doing, we are working to understand your product. then we will do a bunch of math and science and get back to you within x days with our findings. (might take a day / week depending on the project size) from their we will help you update your drawing, then final review and stamp and send you electronic files. then we will ask you for more work.

that's clear as our customer, right?

------------------------------------------
i had a prior trainer .... they said
1. you will answer a bunch questions
2. the next tuesday i will get on a call with you and clarify your answers
3. then i will put together a training plan and you will get started. you will use ____ app to track your progress. videos and explanations of exercises will be in there.
4. then i will go through all the lab tests you sent me and put together a nutrition plan. that will take 2 weeks or so and again we'll do a call to clarify and answer your questions
5. i will then get that plan to your admin and she can get food bought for you

your typical week will look like this:
- drink __ water each day
- in the morning, weigh in, take a pic, rate how you feel, upload to the app
- you'll have your training days and your walking days typically __ days a week
- i'll peak in and send you hints and scoldings weekly
- once a month we will do a call and talk through it all and plan the next month

it will cost you ____. i'll keep a card on file and auto bill you at the start of each month. if at any point you aren't satisfied, you get all your money back.

appreciate you greatly!!

-----------------
now, how do you think that went?
now get to work @JLE ... onboard your customer. make it clear the steps and what is next.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.