The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I go from a wish to burning desire?

Setting up shop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 3, 2017
Canada
Been doing a lot of searching and think I found whats been holding me back......I don't have a burning desire for something.
Its frustrating me because I want a better life (money freedom etc etc)

Logically I want it, but emotionally i'm indifferent.

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't enjoy getting up at 6 everyday and working a job I don't like,
yet I'm unable to raise my wishes to a burning desire to get out of the rat race!!

Is there professional help that would work(Hypnosis, psychology counselling, life coach) ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Been doing a lot of searching and think I found whats been holding me back......I don't have a burning desire for something.

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't enjoy getting up at 6 everyday and working a job I don't like,
yet I'm unable to raise my wishes to a burning desire to get out of the rat race!!

Is there professional help that would work(Hypnosis, psychology counselling, life coach) ?

You need a much worse job. That should do the trick!

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014

Perhaps your feeling of content (having the safety net and comfort that your job provides) is greater than your desire to be free. Your why is not bigger than your want.

How would your desire change if you lost your job tomorrow? What if you couldn't pay your bills? How would you feed your family?

Everybody wants to be a millionaire.m, but typically there is no driving force as to why they want to be one.

Do you really hate your job that much? Could you change jos and be 100x happier working for someone else? Or is it the fact that you have to work for someone else that you hate?

Self awareness is key and defining your why is instrumental in self motivation.

I think I'm going to make a post about this now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Setting up shop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 3, 2017
Canada
You need a much worse job. That should do the trick!

That might work, I might have to try that.

Its so obscure for most people to make serious money, if I wanted a bigger fire I know EXACTLY how to achieve it.

But I'm pleading to my mind: "Please for f*cksakes just increase my desire already!"

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Id recommend that you just start on something, and then keep going. If you're cut out for it, the desire will build.

Usually, passion and desire like this only develop AFTER you start taking action

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Usually, passion and desire like this only develop AFTER you start taking action

One of the truest statements ever. Rep+

If you've already put time and energy into something, you're almost always that much more motivated to see it through.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You either want it or you dont. So apparently you dont. Your problem isnt lack your lack of "burning desire" (bullshit phrase). You are just lazy.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Get yourself deeply wrapped up into something that pisses you off at a gut level.

Can you imagine your parents going into their retirement years in poverty, working shit jobs, barely able to handle their medical bills after years of taking care of you?

Have you seen impoverished parts of the world where people struggle to feed and clothe themselves on a daily basis?

Are you okay with entire ecosystems being decimated for short-term profits, destroying biodiversity and poisoning our land, water, and air for future generations?

Getting your head (and heart) around some sort of issue like this will eventually piss you off enough to really want to make a difference.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014

Not enjoying something is not enough to turn something into a burning desire. Once you experience some sort of loss, or the threat of a big loss, it'll turn into a burning desire.

You've never experienced anything different than what you have now, you've never lived the "good" life you want, so it's hard to have a burning desire for something you've never had. Think of the difference between an out of shape guy who's never had a girlfriend, but "doesn't enjoy" being single. Compare his drive to get in shape to someone who already has a girlfriend/wife and the relationship of his dreams, but she's unhappy and he might lose his soulmate because he got out of shape. Who will be more motivated to get back into shape?

It's been proven in studies that the threat of loss is a bigger psychological driver than the potential of gain, so imagine someone you love getting kidnapped, and the only way they don't murder them is if in 3 months you are no longer working your job and instead writing your own checks like a boss. Let's see if you make any threads asking for motivation during that time.

For the next 3 months, your "want" just turned into a burning desire and you'll stop pussying around with daydreams.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house

It's this mentality that someone else can do it for you that is your problem.

When you realize nobody can or will do it for you, the burning desire will begin to form.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015

You already have the "why" you want to do this. Which is really important. I think the next step is think of your life in a bigger picture

This is what is going on in my head, if it helps:

If I don't do this and settle for a regular life: I just see myself 80 years old sitting on my death bed saying"What if I tried just a little harder," the pain of regret is far too powerful. I would be living my life constantly thinking "What if" I would have a deep feeling of regret and despair. I know its cliche to say, but you really only have one life. Make the most of it. If you settle, then that is the equivalent of throwing your life away. Most people can live the basic 9-5 life, but not me.

If I do this: Freedom, I wake up every morning being like "I own my life and decisions. I am never forced against my will any longer." Think of your end goals and dreams: Big house, big car? Or do nothing and look at someone else that has a big house and car.

Bigger Picture.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Actually this...for real.

Comfort is a dream killer. Too easy to get complacent.

I agree that you need to create the burning desire-However deliberately going to search for a shitty job to me sounds like a dreadful route to go down.
Whilst some sidewalkers say money doesnt make you happy-I know i'd rather be unhappy and a little better off than unhappy and really poor (esp if this is through a deliberate choice in your job)

My suggestion is to aim for a better job whilst hustling after and before work on creating something to give you freedom.

Reason for aiming for a better job is also going to be a better environment for you to work in! If you go get a job packing cans or sweeping the floor in a factory (as you think the worse job will make you more motivated)-the mindset in the factory is also likely to be one of depression and remember the people you spend your life with will influence your mindset.

So aim higher in an environment with more intellect and ambition, immerse yourself with ppl with better mindsets-continually improve yourself and increase your skillset to bring value to the public and you will be rewarded long term!

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
I agree that you need to create the burning desire-However deliberately going to search for a shitty job to me sounds like a dreadful route to go down.
Whilst some sidewalkers say money doesnt make you happy-I know i'd rather be unhappy and a little better off than unhappy and really poor (esp if this is through a deliberate choice in your job)

My suggestion is to aim for a better job whilst hustling after and before work on creating something to give you freedom.

Reason for aiming for a better job is also going to be a better environment for you to work in! If you go get a job packing cans or sweeping the floor in a factory (as you think the worse job will make you more motivated)-the mindset in the factory is also likely to be one of depression and remember the people you spend your life with will influence your mindset.

So aim higher in an environment with more intellect and ambition, immerse yourself with ppl with better mindsets-continually improve yourself and increase your skillset to bring value to the public and you will be rewarded long term!
Interesting perspective. In my case I was suffering from 'boiling frog' syndrome. Where things were getting incrementally worse and I didn't notice it, until I ended up working nights in a factory and I thought 'enough!' I think you might find that some need a jolt out of complacency. Personally if I was in a cushy job that was 'not bad enough' I probably would have stayed there. But yes I agree, purposely looking for a crap job is bonkers.

Setting up shop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 3, 2017
Canada
Thanks for all the great responses. Lots of food for thought and ideas to try get on track.

Really do appreciate all the help!

I know pain works......reminds me of a company I use to work for.
The owner got fired from his job and it affected him deeply.
He would've been happy working a job, but now realised he had to control his future.

Long story short, he started in the 60's and grew it to a multi billion dollar international business.

Maybe I will rent a Ferrari for a couple hours, or save up and charter a Learjet for an hour.
I will look into this and post at a later date. Maybe we can split the cost to charter between 6-8 of us.......I'm on the east coast.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
"...And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Elizabeth Appell

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Help someone else. Make it about them and not about you.

I get much more "motivated" knowing someone's relying on me to help them.

Maybe listen to the second radio interview I did (linked in my sig).

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
You either want it or you dont. So apparently you dont. Your problem isnt lack your lack of "burning desire" (bullshit phrase). You are just lazy.
Exactly this. I'm just gonna leave this here.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E
D I S C I P L I N E

F*ck motivation. That shit is for the birds. Doing the thing you need to do when you don't want to do it.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
It's not a want or a why, it's a how.

It's easy to want something and explain why you want it all day long.

The bit where people fall down is they don't focus on the how.

You're too busy focusing on the wants and the whys but wants and whys won't make you money. (Unless you're addressing the wants and whys of customers of course!)

Work hard on the how, the wants and whys will follow in due course.

U2ForNow

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 28, 2017
Peoria, AZ
Why don't you adjust your lifestyle first? You sound like me when I don't eat right. Work on that with some exercise for 30 days and see if your desire to produce comes back. Absolutely no refined sugar or fast food for 30 days and just 30 minutes of exercise a day. Do it.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Get out of your comfort zone and get into the LIFE.

How?

With small victories everyday other than your usual routine.

START NEW HABITS.

Which ones?

Those happy and that do not infringe the fundamental laws of life.
Action and Reaction.

ACTION: indifference.
REACTION: frustration.
"All of us get back what we sow."

Indifference to life is the worst sickness.

There is only one cure: LOVE LIFE.

Yes, right here, right now.

Keyword: START.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I know this is not a current post. You are viewing the frustration as a problem. Accept this emotion not as a problem, but as something you are telling yourself. Take in the full feeling. Understand what the feeling really means. Then let it go.... Do this each time you feel the emotion. Clarity will come to you.

I know it sounds silly but give it a whirl.

You think you want something here. In reality, you want something else.

Take some time to really assess your situation. Calm your mind first. Then listen to yourself.

Burning desire will go away. It is not what is needed either.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
Cant force yourself to want something. If you want something so bad you will go out and do whatever you can to achieve it.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Man, I ask myself that every day. WTF is the problem? Maybe some people just aren't cut out for the Fastlane. Ask yourself, if the drive doesn't come from within, then what external circumstances would it take to create it? Unemployed? Homeless? Alone/divorced? Humiliated? Living in a van, down by the river? There are all sorts of mental tricks you can play in order to light the fire, like imagining any of those scenarios. If that doesn't work, write your eulogy as if your life had continued the way it's going now. How sucky would your life story be? If none of that works, you can hire me to come over and kick you in the nuts every morning. I have the the time.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Id recommend that you just start on something, and then keep going. If you're cut out for it, the desire will build.

Bingo! Action precedes motivation!

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
There's a classic story (I believe MJ uses it in his book) about a dog at a gas station that is whimpering nonstop. Finally, after a few minutes, a man asks the owner why the dog is crying. He was surprised when the owner said "he's laying on a nail".

When the man asks why the dog doesn't just get up, the gas station owner says, "because it doesn't hurt bad enough".

For 3 years I had a cushy job with freedom to work great hours and from home whenever I wanted.

Last year I started a job at another investment bank for a nice pay raise and it's been an absolute hell. Does it suck in the short term? Yes. But, it gave me enough pain to have a burning desire to escape the rat race. I still have a lot of work left to do, but the drive is there and I'm too stubborn to stop prematurely.

My best advice would be drill down and identify specifically why you want freedom from your job. If you really do a deep dive, you might gain extra clarity and motivation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.