The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did you setup your notifications?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
As you probably know, once you get involved in promoting and general marketing online you start creating accounts left and right on various forums, community pages, etc. Most of these allow users to set up notifications to an email account.

I have a gmail account created for this purpose, which I check to see if anyone replied to anything I posted. However, I also have substantial security for my computer stuff and use a password manager (KeePassX, it's an open source solution which I can recommend), which in turn is also passworded.

So it's a bit of a hassle to type in the password to copy a random password to my gmail account to check for news. I thought it'd be cool to have sms notifications of new messages for that particular email account. Also, in the end you still have to log in to those sites to reply to any PMs or threads.

And this got me curious, how did you guys set up your stuff? Do you have some efficiency tips and tricks that still allow for decent security? Do you use an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird?

I think this subject might be useful to discuss for those of us "in the trenches".

EDIT: I'm not a super technical guy (in terms of software) if you didn't notice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
As you probably know, once you get involved in promoting and general marketing online you start creating accounts left and right on various forums, community pages, etc. Most of these allow users to set up notifications to an email account.

I have a gmail account created for this purpose, which I check to see if anyone replied to anything I posted. However, I also have substantial security for my computer stuff and use a password manager (KeePassX, it's an open source solution which I can recommend), which in turn is also passworded.

So it's a bit of a hassle to type in the password to copy a random password to my gmail account to check for news. I thought it'd be cool to have sms notifications of new messages for that particular email account. Also, in the end you still have to log in to those sites to reply to any PMs or threads.

And this got me curious, how did you guys set up your stuff? Do you have some efficiency tips and tricks that still allow for decent security? Do you use an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird?

I think this subject might be useful to discuss for those of us "in the trenches".

EDIT: I'm not a super technical guy (in terms of software) if you didn't notice.

Just have the gmail account automatically forward incoming mail that fits into news or whatever else you want. It'll just pop up in your usual email inbox. You can set the receiving inbox to automatically move it to a folder or whatever, using filters, if you don't want it to pop up in your main box.

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
By which you mean have the gmail account forward it to an email client with a specific setup?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
By which you mean have the gmail account forward it to an email client with a specific setup?

Yeah, exactly. Whenever I set up a "burner" gmail account for some new purpose, I just have it automatically forward to my main one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.