The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did MJ get paid?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
I just bought the book after hearing MJ's interview on a podcast I listen to. The part I'm dying to know though is how did he get paid on limos.com? Did the limo companies pay a membership to bid on jobs? Did they pay for each lead? That's the part I just don't understand yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Its from Lead Generation.

PS. It would be nice if you had an introduction

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
My understanding would be they paid a fee per lead. Kind of like pay-per-click marketing. Each time he provided the limo company with a specific, highly-targetted potential customer, he got $.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
Understood, but how? Did the limo companies pay a subscription fee to access those leads? Did they pay each time they bid on a job? Did they bid for free and pay once the job was accepted? That's the type of thing I'm most curious about.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
Thanks guys. I'm trying to figure out the details because I have had a few ideas for lead generation that have proven to work. I just don't know the best way to get paid on those leads. I'm afraid if I charged a membership to the companies, I wouldn't have enough companies to bid on quotes, thus making it useless for the customers. If I charge per lead, again I'm afraid companies wouldn't pay to bid thinking that they won't get the job anyway. If I charge only the company that is chosen for the job, that sounds the easiest but I don't know if that's truly the best way for me to make money.

Then of course, I hear MJ DeMarco talking about limos.com on a podcast and it sounded exactly like something I needed to learn so I bought the book. I just haven't come across the details yet in his text.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Probably he would send the leads to the company most relevant to the inquiry (based on location, vehicle type preference etc chosen by the customer) then invoice the limo company monthly for how many leads were sent.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
That's exactly the detail I'm interested in. Hopefully someone will know!

I really hope he wasn't invoicing after the fact. I really don't want to become a collection agency!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I use service magic for Painting leads and I pay for the lead in advance. I'll lay out a certain amount of money each month and they will send me leads until I run out. I can add money to my account at anytime and if I'm getting to many leads at once that I cant handle, I can shut the leads off until I need them again. I would highly suggest collecting lead money first or have them put it on a credit card and deduct it as leads come in.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011
Likwid, I like where you're going with this. If you don't mind, do you compete with others? So if a lead comes to you, did it also go to someone else? My idea involves a potential customer coming to my site to get leads from lots of businesses in their area automatically. That's the sell to the customer. Free of course. Then, the businesses bid and the customer can choose whomever they want.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
ServiceMagic gives the lead to 3 Contractor's in the area. The contractors then call the customer to do the estimate and the customer chooses the contractor that is best fit for the job. The contractor's pay for the lead and it is free for the customer. I'm not a big computer guy. There's many people in this forum that can help you. I suggest that you give an introduction. Tell people about yourself and what your future plans are. Once you do that, I bet there will be more people willing to help you. Good Luck!

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
You can check the archives of limos.com at the waybackmachine.org website and check out the affiliate program and advertiser sections of the old site. You can get a good idea of how he made money on these pages. The archive date of the site I was on was August 1, 2005.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Leads were accumulated by each company per month. Consumers where presented with a directory format and allowed to request quotes from multiple services. (So the lead went to multiple companies dependent on the client's selections.) At the beginning of the month, the prior month was billed via credit card.

I really hope he wasn't invoicing after the fact. I really don't want to become a collection agency!

Sorry, but this was part of the business. I was going to front-load the collection via deposit (just like Google does) as an upgrade in the new version but the company was sold before I was able to implement this.

I certainly hope you aren't considering doing this in the same industry -- Limos.com dominates the space and has transitioned to real-time online booking as expected. (I think lead-gen in this space is not a viable startup any longer)

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Leads were accumulated by each company per month. Consumers where presented with a directory format and allowed to request quotes from multiple services. (So the lead went to multiple companies dependent on the client's selections.) At the beginning of the month, the prior month was billed via credit card.

Sorry, but this was part of the business. I was going to front-load the collection via deposit (just like Google does) as an upgrade in the new version but the company was sold before I was able to implement this.

I certainly hope you aren't considering doing this in the same industry -- Limos.com dominates the space and has transitioned to real-time online booking as expected. (I think lead-gen in this space is not a viable startup any longer)

MJ, this has me thinking of doing the same thing in an industry that I don't think has been touched yet.

Did you have any way for site users to leave feedback?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 16, 2011

First of all, I feel pretty honored that the author responded... and so quickly! Having the users choose the companies that their quote goes to sounds really good. It isn't the limo industry. In fact, it's very unlike the limo industry.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Thank you for being generous with your wisdom MJ. I launched a website 4 months ago. I'm considering changing the revenue model to either pay-per-lead or pay-per-click.

Did you ever consider going PPC instead of PPL?

Also, how did you rank the listings show to your visitors?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.