The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How did Eminem get so rich?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
Sep 30, 2011
I heard it had something to do with mutual funds as well. Many singers, rockstars, and so forth do not get paid fully and only revenues based on the record deals. That's how Virgin Records is so profitable.

However, I never really understood what or how mutual funds actually work. I know what bonds are and stocks are, but never understood mutual funds. Does Eminem have his own stock symbol?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
It boils down to the Fastlane mentality outlined in the book. Marshall Mathers probably took his money he earned and put it into mutual funds to preserve his wealth. Like MJ touched on in the book, stocks, mutual funds, IRAs, etc are all wealth preservation tools, not wealth creation tools.

As far as mutual funds, they are basicaly a grouping of stocks which allows a person to buy a single fund with the diversification already built in.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 23, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
I remember one of the early interviews that Baby and Lil Wayne gave when they were first getting into the hip
hop business. They invested early in mutual funds, stocks, and bonds. That and popular music makes them rich
today.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
OMG it had nothing to do with mutual funds. The post on FB was a sarcastic joke.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
OMG it had nothing to do with mutual funds. The post on FB was a sarcastic joke.

Basically, millions love Eminem and his music enough to buy it and he gets royalties from the purchases. He also makes a lot of money when he's on tour. It's not uncommon for rappers to earn $10,000+ from a single concert, but with Eminem's reputation he probably earns somewhere around $100000 per concert.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
I heard it had something to do with mutual funds as well. Many singers, rockstars, and so forth do not get paid fully and only revenues based on the record deals. That's how Virgin Records is so profitable.

However, I never really understood what or how mutual funds actually work. I know what bonds are and stocks are, but never understood mutual funds. Does Eminem have his own stock symbol?

Thank you.

Yes, he invested in mutual funds throughout his 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, that's why he's so rich at 70. It's impossible for a popular artist reaching million to get rich without mutual funds. Come on dude, get real.

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
It's definitely not mutual funds! It's royalties, concerts, but most importantly a lot of licensing in a lot of different areas (software, clothing, merchandising). He has very savvy people behind him.

By the way, most wealthy people don't own mutual funds for one specific reason. Mutual funds generate taxable profits every year. Those profits are taxed and you have to pay those taxes even though you haven't sold one share of the fund. Wealthy people will have managed funds diversified by purchasing the actual stocks. This way they don't generate unnecessary taxes at the end of the year.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sometimes, I read a thread . . .

. . . and when I get to the end, I wonder why I just spent the time reading it.

-Russ H.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Sometimes, I read a thread . . .

. . . and when I get to the end, I wonder why I just spent the time reading it.

Hahaha I was thinking the same exact thing then I got to your post. LMAO

Sep 30, 2011
No, it's just that I must have read somewhere that he was a Fastlaner. A lot of people make good music, but Eminem made a ton more money. I guess he just kept it old school and worked with the brand he created.

D

DeletedUser394

Seeing as no one has answered your question exactly..

Taken straight from wiki:

'Eminem is one of the best-selling artists in the world and is the best selling artist of the 2000s.[2] He has been listed and ranked as one of the greatest artists of all time by many magazines including the Rolling Stone magazine which has ranked him 82nd on its list of The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[3] The same magazine has declared him The King of Hip Hop.[4] Including his work with D12 and Bad Meets Evil, Eminem has achieved ten number one albums on the Billboard 200. He has also sold more than 33 million track downloads and 40.9 million albums in the United States alone.[5]

Eminem has opened other ventures since the beginning of his success. He founded his own record label, Shady Records with his manager Paul Rosenberg. He also has his own radio channel, Shade 45. Eminem began an acting career in 2002, when he starred in the hip hop drama film 8 Mile in which he won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, becoming the first rap artist ever to win the award.[6] He is also set to star in the 2013 films Shady Talez and Have Gun, Will Travel. He has also made cameo appearances in The Wash (2001), Funny People (2009) and television series Entourage.'

---------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell, that is how he got so rich... lol at mutual funds having anything to do with it.

Sky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 6, 2011
I've been following Eminem for awhile, his music and his career but the main catalyst to his career is when he met and signed on with Dr. Dre. Eminem was a exceptional rapper and artist but as with MJ's example of effecting people, he could only reach the people of his hood and neighboring cities. Dr. Dre gave Em the ability to reach millions with his own status in hip hop music as well as give him exclusive beats, which by industry standards is quite rare and expensive.

Under the tutelage of Dre, Em made another milestone in his business career by signing a New York rapper to his newly created label, Shady/Aftermath. You might know him as Curtis Jackson aka 50 cent. I think, IMO, during this time Em realized that writing and rapping wasn't where the money was. Using MJ's example again, there are only so many hours in a day, so many raps in a song, so many words you can say in a 5 minute song. Dre probably taught Em the business in which to acquire new talent, give them the shine they need to be successful and gain public attention, and in return, make high percent profits off the record sales, media sales, and ad campaigns. 50 cent, in turn following Em's model, created G-unit records and his own hip hop corporation which allowed him to leverage his profits (another MJ principle) in purchasing Vitamin water and later re-selling it to Coco-cola for a cool 100 million after taxes.

Em talks about he doesn't like to sell out and I respect him for that but I think after all that he has gone through like losing his best friend, recovering from drugs, and ins and outs with his exwife, he has started to become more aware of himself as an icon. He was named King of Hip Hop by rolling stone. He has recently done commericals for brisk ice tea and Chrysler. In a interview I saw awhile ago, they asked Em what his goals were and I think he said saving money. So yeah.

If you're asking to how to be rich like Eminem or how did he do it:

1. Have a really messed up childhood with alot of pain and grief
2. Be able to tell a good story
3. blend your story into 16 bars of rap
4. hone your rap skills with hours and hours and hours in the mirror
5. write down your raps and study other rappers form of delivery
6. listen to a ton of hip hop
7. go to hip hop battles and go at it. have a persona. This will give you "street cred"
8. make mixtapes and give them away for free or youtube channel
9. get signed to a record label. use that time to perfect your skills and learn the business
10. create your own record label
11. invest the profits in yourself or business
12. find another young hungry rapper to sign and repeat.

*Recommended: watching 8 mile or reading the 50th law by 50 cent.

Holla.

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018

Thank you.
Everyone knows that he went Hi Hop/Rap University. Graduated Magna Cum Laude. Got an Internship at Eminem Records and have been working there. Gets paid over 60k-100k a year. He invests 10% into his 401k/IRA so he can retire at 65 years old. He follows Dave Ramsey religiously thinking he'll get the Hip Hop life if he does so.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Everyone knows that he went Hi Hop/Rap University. Graduated Magna Cum Laude. Got an Internship at Eminem Records and have been working there. Gets paid over 60k-100k a year. He invests 10% into his 401k/IRA so he can retire at 65 years old. He follows Dave Ramsey religiously thinking he'll get the Hip Hop life if he does so.

talk about opening up an old a$$ thread lol

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I thought he made all the other M's his ho's. Then eventually most of them got pregnant and they had lil Reese's Pieces and he also makes royalties off each of them..... no?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
because "dr dres locked up in his basement" thats why

Nmm540

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 4, 2015
Its the same way most rappers make money theses days. Touring. Cardi B makes 70,000 a during coachella. Beyonce gets 3 million. Im sure eminem is pulling 100,000 or more a day at large shows back in the day. Up in smoke make 160,000,000 in revenue, anger management made half a billion. He has his own record label with dre shady/aftermath. His own channel on sirius xm. His clothing line, royalities from CDs and mp3 sales. Hes affected hundreds of millions so he has made 100s of millions. i bet eminem doesnt even understand the slightest bit about stocks.

Jason Reign

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 1, 2018
at first because the music industry has changed, he made most of his money in album and cd sales. as those sales dont mean anything anymore since everything can be pirated. its all about touring. plus other ventures where he can use his personal brand to sell something like clothing.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Yea Eminem got wealthy off mutual funds. He’s an avid investor.

Lmao.

Dude he’s one of the most successful musicians of all time. How he got rich is self explanatory.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is why he's rich
I have to agree with this. My half-brother is touring around right now with a new band, and his band manager talks about how the bands get cheated somewhat in venues, advertising, and marketing. He just started touring this summer, so I don't know much about his fiances.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.