The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can someone work every waking hour???

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can't, for the life of me, figure out what these people are doing that requires 25 hours and 12 Red Bulls in a day.

What I have noticed is that these people might make a respectable chunk of change, but not crazy stuff. Even so, what the hell is the point of the money if you can't enjoy it?

My guess is that these are people that refuse to delegate task work.

Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Nobody besides Elon Musk works that much, and it’s certainly not healthy...

I don’t think sacrificing your happiness now is necessary to be successful. Just set goals and systems to make consistent progress towards your ideal lifestyle.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Walmart employs 2.1 million people. Let's say the average worker puts in 30 hours per week. That means the Walton family gets 63 MILLION hours worth of work done in ONE WEEK. I'm not sure how many lifetimes that is but delegation is key. Nobody can do it all themselves.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Define work. 95% of my awake hours my brain is thinking of ways to make more money.

As for waking up early, I'm not on that bandwagon. I think whether you wake up at 5am, 8am or 2pm, you can get the same amount of work done if you do it correctly. I can tell you I am a power-napper. I can take a 30 second nap and be wide awake for another 3 minutes..... just joking, I can take a 30 second nap and be wide awake for another 5 hours and do it all again. :zzz:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
There are all of these people that say a real entrepreneur should be working from 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m...

How is that even possible?

The honest answer is it isn't and is probably only put out there by slowlaners trying to justify why they can't build a business of their own. The truth is that many successful entrepreneurs actually work less than they do.

I think the secret to being a successful entrepreneur is leverage and balance. Leverage as in delegation of tasks; Work out what you are worth per hour. If you can pay someone else less to do the same job then pay it, your time is more valuable used else where.

Leverage as in always applying Pareto's Law. Determining what 20% you can do that will provide 80% of the results be it increased turnover, lower running costs, higher average customer spend etc. etc. and commit your time to that.

Balance as in Work/Life. No point in burning yourself out or alienating yourself from your family and close friends. Taking care of your health is critical. If you are really doing 20 hour days living on fastfood, cigarettes and caffeine how long do you think you could maintain it? Not long is the answer. Don't get me wrong we have all burned the midnight oil when we had to but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Here's a chart of how Elon Musk apparently divides his day. 12 hours is not that much work wise. Many self employed people do more than that and it will be hard graft, not overseeing which is what Mr Musk would be doing most of the time considering the scale of his operations and the volume of employee's he has.

2018-12-20_07-22-57.jpg
Compare that with a junior doctor who is on their feet and on the go in a very stressful position for 80 hours a week or an associate in a top 10 Law firm doing 60+ hours for a fraction of the remuneration.

I've worked very long hours for months at a time to accomplish a given task but once you get there you take a well deserved break and cut back to something more normal. As far as sleep is concerned 6-7 hours is a decent quantity I get around 6 to 6.5 on a good night.

If you are still curious you could always pole the Fastlaners here for a more accurate idea.

-

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I dunno... all I can think of is:

“You can’t invoice for input.” (Blaise Brosnan)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
There are all of these people that say a real entrepreneur should be working from 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m...

So far, the majority of my entrepreneurial experience has consisted of 1. figuring out what to work on next to get the best results, or 2. waiting for results after taking action so I can move on to taking more action.

Should I be filling the empty space with a new business? Will things speed up when I have a decent, consistent income to reinvest in my business?

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Those numbers aren't possible. Even Musk says he sleeps 6.5 hours a night because he has to.

The other aspect is an hour of work isn't a fixed unit of stress. If you're doing highly stressful work, you just can't physically maintain it longer than 8 hours. If you're doing easy work you enjoy, working dawn to dusk is easy.

Most of the "work" a lot of the braggarts do is actually just running their mouths, in meetings, on the phone, flying around, business lunches, etc, which has a small fraction of the stress as grinding a way at a tough problem at the edge of your abilities.

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
I think it depends on how a person's brain/thought process works. Many years ago, I was working on a project I really enjoyed - it was a large, complex software project. I would think about it all the time - while eating, while mowing the lawn, in the shower, at night trying to fall asleep. I was working, every waking hour, even though I wasn't in front of a keyboard all that time.
Perhaps some/most people aren't like that. I'm still that way, although not as intense as I get older...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I really think people work very inefficiently and don't realize it.

For example, yesterday I photoshopped 7 photos that took me 2 hours to do. I know this because 2 1hr Netflix shows started and stopped before I finished.

You have to ask yourself, is photoshopping for 2 hours the best use of your time? The answer is different for everyone.

For someone running a 10M company and works 60 hours a week: He probably should have outsourced it because he has high ROI things to do.

For someone just starting out without alot money: Yes, because this task would have cost him $140 (assuming $20/photo) and he can't make $70/hour doing anything else.

For me: Yes, because is was Xmas and stores were closed and I wanted to relax and I like photoshopping.

Now if I were super busy, this is the last thing that I would do. I would have had an employee do it, or hired an outside company.

So technically I worked on this for 2 hours, but I could have worked on this task for only 10 minutes by delegating it. Then I could have spent the next 1 hour 50 minutes watching TV.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

I don’t think sacrificing your happiness now is necessary to be successful. Just set goals and systems to make consistent progress towards your ideal lifestyle.
Even Elon doesn't work that much anymore. When he did he admitted it was taking a huge toll on him.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I can tell you I am a power-napper. I can take a 30 second nap and be wide awake for another 3 minutes..... just joking, I can take a 30 second nap and be wide awake for another 5 hours and do it all again. :zzz:

I've found a 20 minute power nap can be an amazing refuelling experience for my brain and body. The trick is to time it just right and for the right duration so certainly before 3pm. 15-20 minutes is usually enough to go through stage 1 sleep (that drifting off feeling) to stage 2 (slowdown of brain activity) but no further otherwise it ends up leaving you tired and groggy afterwards.

-

Last edited:

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

So far, the majority of my entrepreneurial experience has consisted of 1. figuring out what to work on next to get the best results, or 2. waiting for results after taking action so I can move on to taking more action.

Should I be filling the empty space with a new business? Will things speed up when I have a decent, consistent income to reinvest in my business?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure sleeping 3 hours every night for a long period leads to, at least, serious health problems. In some extreme cases, the lack of sleep leads to plain death (mentioned on Learning How To Learn course on Coursera). If you want to be an entrepreneur and play the long run, you need to take care of yourself. There might be some exceptional days when you can sleep for 3 hours, but that's not even half of the sleep a normal person needs.

I think that being obsessed with working "many hours" is a big mistake. How do I know? Because I've been obsessed as well, and I'm still trying to get rid of that mentality. But I'm starting to see that's the wrong metric. I'm using the Pomodoro technique, and I get much more done that before, working the same amount of hours, or even less. It's not about quantity, but quality. If you work for 10-12 hours a day but don't make the most of that time by having laser focus, then there is no point in forcing yourself to sit on the chair for that amount of time. What would you prefer, 2x, or even 3x productivity for 30 minutes intervals in, let's say 8 hours, or 1x for 12 hours?

I also read recently that after more than 50 hours per week, productivity declines too much to pay off the effort and the cost it creates over time.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
You guys are dropping elon musk's work schedule. First of all, He's an anomaly in terms of business sense and driving force. On top of that he pays people to allot his time and assists him on what he needs to work on and he just follows it and focuses on the task on hand. He's laser focused in the times he has assigned to him.

We as aspiring millionaires (hes an billionaire) cannot afford that kind of expertise. Its his team that makes the difference, not only himself.

Its not considered 'working' every waking hour if you're just 'doing'.

I don't know if that really is clear enough. I've started to recognize the difference because when I hit my stride, things get done and time is just floating by with no strain or despite of what I'm doing like i have at my 9-5 job.

What I do know that has helped me was the practice of time blocking in the morning that boosts my productivity. When the time comes I will assign my VA to do my timetabling (its time consuming everyday it takes me .5-1 hour) for me so i can just focus on the task on hand when I wake up.

Here's a good video on how to do it.

Its how I manage a full time job, a family of 3 kids, digital marketing agency, and a few e-com stores.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
IMO most of it comes down to what you consider working on the business. In the last 2 weeks I have been going into the warehouse every day from 9-3/4. Then I often come home and spend a couple of hours on the computer doing work related items. So I would say the last two weeks I’ve put in 9-10 hours a day 6 days a week working in my business.

Next week I’m going to spend time with family/a mini vacation. I will spend a couple hours a day researching on my computer and reading business books. Technically I won’t be putting in hardly anytime on specific work related tasks but I guarantee you the few hours a day I spend researching, reading, and learning is far more valuable to my business than the 9 hours a day I’ve been putting in the last couple of weeks. Is reading a book working on my business? I suppose technically no. Is it adding thousands of dollars to my bottom line for 2019? You bet.

Assuming you don’t have a business or are at the beginning stages of one, it will often require significant amounts of time and 10-12 hour days can be the norm. However most businesses don’t require that much daily time once they are up and running... assuming you follow the CENTS principles.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas

in my honest opinion, working that hard is only for a specific type of person. the common buzz and misconception about entrepreneurs nowadays is that "they should work as hard as a billionaire" or something like that. (at least that's the atmosphere i'm getting from grant cardone, gary vee, Tai Lopez, and other instagram videos and such).

If you have a good business, and you're working to improve it's value to your customers, that should be it. in the free time you have you can work on improving yourself, exercise, read, spend time doing what makes you happy, etc.
if you want to start another business to fill in the time go ahead, but i feel that it would take away from valuable time to grow, improve yourself, and just meditate. the kind of work style that most gurus promote sounds like the way a billionaire would work, and they have to work like that because of the size and nature of the businesses they run. even then it's not easy for them, elon musk almost bankrupted both of his business simply because he wanted both of them to succeed. and who knows what type of toll he takes physically because of the way he's working.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I, for the life of me, can't figure out what these people are doing that requires 25 hours and 12 Red Bulls in a day.

What I have noticed is that these people might make a respectable chunk of change, but not crazy stuff.

My guess is that these are people that refuse to delegate task work.
And at some point you will experience diminishing returns. You end up making poor decisions, your health suffers, your relationships suffer, etc.

For the most successful people, it is not a measure of how much time they spend, but a measure of how they spend their time.

Their time is spent super effectively. No one can put in 20 hours of effective work. 6-8 hours of super focused, effective work is far more impactful than 20 hours of bro-hustle and grind.

Will there be days where you have to put in crazy long days? Absolutely.

But if it’s a regular occurrence something is wrong. I agree with @Kak that these are people who aren’t leading or delegating or building systems.

D

Deleted50669

The saying "work smarter not harder" was coined for a reason. It's possible to run laps around the guy working 20 hours if you put 10 hours into the right actions. But not having a plan.. that'll have you working 20 hours with nothing to show.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm using the Pomodoro technique, and I get much more done that before, working the same amount of hours, or even less. It's not about quantity, but quality. If you work for 10-12 hours a day but don't make the most of that time by having laser focus, then there is no point in forcing yourself to sit on the chair for that amount of time. What would you prefer, 2x, or even 3x productivity for 30 minutes intervals in, let's say 8 hours, or 1x for 12 hours?
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure sleeping 3 hours every night for a long period leads to, at least, serious health problems. In some extreme cases, the lack of sleep leads to plain death (mentioned on Learning How To Learn course on Coursera). If you want to be an entrepreneur and play the long run, you need to take care of yourself. There might be some exceptional days when you can sleep for 3 hours, but that's not even half of the sleep a normal person needs.

I think that being obsessed with working "many hours" is a big mistake. How do I know? Because I've been obsessed as well, and I'm still trying to get rid of that mentality. But I'm starting to see that's the wrong metric. I'm using the Pomodoro technique, and I get much more done that before, working the same amount of hours, or even less. It's not about quantity, but quality. If you work for 10-12 hours a day but don't make the most of that time by having laser focus, then there is no point in forcing yourself to sit on the chair for that amount of time. What would you prefer, 2x, or even 3x productivity for 30 minutes intervals in, let's say 8 hours, or 1x for 12 hours?

I also read recently that after more than 50 hours per week, productivity declines too much to pay off the effort and the cost it creates over time.
Absolutely right! Sleeping fewer than 7 or 8 hours is a really good way to destroy your health. Your body repairs itself during sleep. Give it time to do so.

I also use the Pomodoro technique, though I work better in 50-minute sprints. I believe you must determine your own pace, but taking a break of ten or fifteen minutes between sprints is essential for physical health, at the very least, especially if your work is sedentary. I use a Chrome extension pomodoro timer that lets you set up different length work periods, so I select the length of time I expect to take to complete a task (between 15 minutes and 50) and focus on that task until the timer stops me. No Facebook, no Fastlane Forum :smile2:, no phone calls (I silence my cell phone and ignore the landline), nothing but that one task. You'd be surprised what you can do when your focus is complete.

One thing you mentioned has me wondering. You said you spend most of your time figuring out what step to take next or waiting for results after you take action so you can move to the next action. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a lot of sitting around waiting. What could you be doing that is related to your business, productive, and not busywork? Without knowing your business or what are the actions for which you are waiting for results, I can't make specific suggestions. However, I suspect you could at the very least be reading about best practices in copywriting, advertising and marketing, time management, etc. As Stephen Covey directed in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, sharpen the saw.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Walmart employs 2.1 million people. Let's say the average worker puts in 30 hours per week. That means the Walton family gets 63 MILLION hours worth of work done in ONE WEEK. I'm not sure how many lifetimes that is but delegation is key. Nobody can do it all themselves.
I honestly need to have this framed and put above my desk. Failure to delegate is probably the primary source of misery and under-achievement in my life. Rep ++++

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US

But if my ideal situation is semi-retired by mid-twenties, I'm sure I have to sacrifice some amount of happiness. I feel I should probably be working a lot more than I am, but I think the 2 problems I listed are preventing me from it.

How much do you guys think I should be working to reach that goal^?

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
81W0t0qNFBL.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvjtF6uhgvA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oQGYUD4QI

Lack of sleep is a major health problem in the US.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Another point about Elon:

His work ethic isn't really a skill, it's just the way he's wired. If you watch his interview with Joe Rogan, he mentioned that he's always been like that even when he was a kid and thought he was insane. He even said he can't really shut it off and he's afraid if he used the sensory deprivation tank, his brain would overpower him.

He has so many projects on the go, that I'm willing to bet his side-projects are just the result of him trying to full his time in.

Some people just have manic personalities and can't help it.

D

Deleted50669

Now I just got curious to do the calculation...

Assumed lifetime age: 75 years
Number of hours in lifetime = 75 * 365 * 24 = 657,000 hours
Number of lifetimes worth of work per week = 63,000,000 hours / 657,000 hours = 95.89 lifetimes

sheeeeiiiittttt

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
What Kak said... the people that are working 24/7 are, in reality, inefficient most of the time

They just like to overwork for ego purposes - #grindmode #entrepreneur blahblah

That, or they don't understand true productivity

I can understand if you're bootstrapping a project at first and you want to go hard, but you should not be going 24/7 for more than a year or two max - that means that you are just super inefficient. You aren't delegating, you aren't making enough money to delegate, or you're just wasting time on useless shit

Understand the Pareto Principle and avoid BS -

The Pareto Principle will predict that 80% of your fruits come from 20% of your labor, and anyone who's read 12897 books on a topic or spent hundreds of hours in any field or hobby understands this notion. You'll get to work and realize you really only need 2-4 books, and a few core principles to make up for 80% of your success.

The better you become at shit, the more you realize what the core is, and you start trimming the fat.

I'm going to be rich as balls at a healthy 40-70 hours per week, maybe more maybe less - I'm cool with this. I like working, and this leaves me a reasonable amount of time for things that are more important than work - mental health, physical health, leisure, etc.

When my energy dwindles as I age, I'll lower the number.

Also, you talk about work like you have to "sacrifice" happiness - you should enjoy your work otherwise it is highly unlikely that you'll maintain the motivation to achieve your goals.

Life is about the journey, not the destination - same with business

Take it easy and don't be hard on yourself -

Don't be easy either, but don't be hard.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

No, working that much will make you a lot less productive. Work in sprints and then rest between the sprints. Quiet time allows for creativity and thought. Sleep allows the subconscious to work -- and that's where inspiration comes from. Work less and work smarter.

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
Well, that time schedule (5.30-2.30am) is just ridiculous, no human in history can work 21 hours a day (147 hours week 0_0). Even Elon Musk, who is pretty much in the 0.000001% of work ethic, is working 10-12 hours a day every day.

That being said, if you truly want to live an exceptional life, you will need to work exceptionally hard.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
I don't know how either.

When I read books from like a thousand years ago, it seems highly effective people used to be concerned about the value of one hour rather than the actual minutes in one hour.

I mean some used to go out in the desert/woods/mountains for days or weeks just wondering about the universe and learning "lessons" from nature whilst now it's like "how many hours did we spend grinding today?!!"

I'm not saying we should go out in the mountains for weeks but what about family, hobbies, relationships, spirituality, worldly desires etc. etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.