The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Housing area information request

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I am looking for websites or resources that give information on housing markets. I found a house slightly outside of my area and I want to research that area. Any recommendations?

Looking for things like:
Median home prices
Avg time houses sit on the market.
number of houses on the market
etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
My best resource so far has been googling a few Realtors, send them an email describing my interest in the area, and ask them for this information. The good one will answer and start communication with you. Other will not reply. Others will give you a smart-a$$ reply. So send at least three and see who replies. I've done this with certain success in the past.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Be careful with Zillow. I've seen it be + or - about 30% in the market I work in. Andiv's right about contacting realtors in the market area. Ask them for the consumer accessible MLS in the area. It will give alot of information.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Good replies. I will be checking into them. Ive actually used zillow and county assessor to determine median price. Tbsells you are right though. The one property I am looking at has zillow at 177k and the county at 217k. Zillow is affected greatly by recent sales and sales history of the prop. Since this is an REO property, I think the foreclosure has lowered zillows estimate a bit. What I love about zillow is seeing recent sales in the area. I found two properties that recently sold on that street that were smaller and sold for more then the estimate on this property.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Did a little more research and found a really good site.
www.cyberhomes.com If you click on neighborhood info for the property. You get a laundry list of information.
-area analysis
-market info
-demographics
-several different types of maps.

I also found this link at biggerpockets
http://www.biggerpockets.com/house-value-comps.html
It links 9 different analysis websites like zillow. Each has different positive aspects.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.