The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hitting The Ground Running When Things Open Up?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I've got a product idea in the outdoors niche I've been chewing on for a while and I am wondering if now is a good time to start development of it. Of course, most of you guys will say "the best time was yesterday", but I'm trying to stay cautious moving forward.

I think we may be going into a recession if not already in one, and am wondering how that's going to affect my idea near term. I don't want to launch into a recession when consumer spending has dried up.

On the other hand, we could very well see a massive upswing in spending on travel, camping, hiking, etc once the restrictions are lifted. Add to it that gas is cheap so recreational travel might see a boom too.

What are your thoughts about developing during this "silence", and riding the wave up to launch a business?

Perhaps I can get a piece of one of the biggest wealth transfers in history...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
massive upswing in spending on travel, camping, hiking
What's the reasoning to believe that more people are going to go camping / hiking once things lift up? Not saying there isn't good reasoning, just asking.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
All product development should be getting done now.

You have time to talk to factories. Create moulds. Make samples. Approve the samples.

Opportunity cost is zero since your time likely has a value of zero.

You don't have to work in the business. So it's time to work on the business.

In my business, we're developing about a dozen products right now. Basically lining up as many options as possible so we can grow at a rapid rate when the market normalizes.

For reference: we're making plans for 0 months to 3 years from now. You can't control when the market is normal. But you can control when you'll be ready.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
What's the reasoning to believe that more people are going to go camping / hiking once things lift up? Not saying there isn't good reasoning, just asking.
I mean relative to current spending lol.

Right now things are restricted. Why would I go shopping online for new camping, hiking, outdoor gear right now if my favorite spots are shut down? Or I've lost my job temporarily?

People's love for the outdoors doesn't go away just because they can't go out for 3 months...yet demand is down...

Of course, I could be wrong and I'd like to know if I am!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
All product development should be getting done now.

You have time to talk to factories. Create moulds. Make samples. Approve the samples.

Opportunity cost is zero since your time likely has a value of zero.

You don't have to work in the business. So it's time to work on the business.

In my business, we're developing about a dozen products right now. Basically lining up as many options as possible so we can grow at a rapid rate when the market normalizes.

For reference: we're making plans for 0 months to 3 years from now. You can't control when the market is normal. But you can control when you'll be ready.
I like this. Kinda like Buffets "Be greedy when others are fearful".

My time IS worth zero now as I don't have a job!

The big bears are hibernating now...time to plan my attack...

Thanks!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I like this. Kinda like Buffets "Be greedy when others are fearful".

My time IS worth zero now as I don't have a job!

The big bears are hibernating now...time to plan my attack...

Thanks!

Think of it as a cheat code.

The entire market is paused so you can talk to all the factories, build your website, do your branding, and catch up.

Get moving.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

No idea if it will play out this way or not but a staff member and I were discussing the same thing this morning, there's talk of Australia opening up the state borders, but what are people going to do? travel interstate but can't visit much because all public places will likely stay closed for a while yet, maybe they'll go camping!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.