The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hit a Slowlane in the Fastlane...hard

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I don't usually try to 'indoctrinate' Slowlaners, who think that joining MLMs, investing in mutual funds or buying stuff on the cheap will bring them financial haven, with the Fastlane. But sometimes one of the more staunch ones raises the pain points that set alarm bells ringing too much-basically going in front of my Fastlane lambo (virtual, not real! I'm not into fast cars!) thinking that they own the road.

So I had to hit that a$$ hard-with my Fastlane engines roaring and tyres screeching. There's no place for an a$$ where the fast and furious are.
Here was our conversation. These are not the actual words, but it went something like that:

Slowlaner: You have extra cash? (I had a bit, to prepare for a future Fastlane campaign) Put it in a mutual fund so that you can be wealthy.

Me: Mutual funds? Good luck with that. Why should I put my money into someone else's asset or buy their assets? Tsk, making them rich? Besides, it is too little to put in. Just a few thousand only. The rich put in MILLIONS for such financial instruments to be effective. I would rather create something which others buy from me.

Slowlaner: (getting defensive) Hey, i'm only giving you advice for your own good! I sold my own mutual funds to buy a house, and it would have grown even more had I not sold it. Besides my network company promises me success as my teacher (her senior) said that I would get it if I were desperate enough! I'm an entrepreneur!

Me: Entrepreneurs create assets that people buy, not buy assets to make others rich! You are no entrepreneur. You don't know how to create value!

There was an awkward silence....

You know what...just don't listen to any Slowlaner that threatens to disturb your brains. Just destroy their reality and beliefs with the harsh truth and walk away. And do it quickly, lest they stay around and irritate you.

But today was a good day! I found another complaint to add to my list of product enhancements for my fastlane! It was free!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My favourite conversations... :smoking:
What! Don't tell me you enjoy tearing Slowlaners up!:depressed::p:D

Come on, I would rather be talking to a Fastlaner who has vibrant ideas, or a customer who needs value.
But I had no choice, the codger was in the Fastlane and I had to run the racoon down...

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I get wrapped up in these types of conversations a lot. Especially with my family. They often come to me for financial advice.

Since they're family, and I value those relationships, I usually try to have a very tactful conversation haha. I don't really get irritated with them, I'm happy to spread the wealth of knowledge.

They ask things like, "I got a bonus from work, what stocks should I buy?"

Me, "Pay off your credit cards and any other worthless debt. Then pay off your house"

Them, "WHAT?? How will that make me rich?"

Me, "How will the stock market make you rich with a 5% return? What's the interest rate on your cards? On your house?"

Then we sit down and do the math on how much they can save by paying off debt. Destroying a future financial obligation is the same as getting a return!!!!

I have a 13 year old niece that shows some serious hustle and fastlane ideas though, she's currently reading my copy of TMF .

I tried to GIVE her my TMF book, but she said, "No, I'll shovel snow and make the money myself and buy it"

But yeah, there are very few people I take advice from. Some IRL, and of course, the heavy hitters on this forum.

When they talk, I shut up and listen.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I have a 13 year old niece that shows some serious hustle and fastlane ideas though, she's currently reading my copy of TMF .

I tried to GIVE her my TMF book, but she said, "No, I'll shovel snow and make the money myself and buy it"

But yeah, there are very few people I take advice from. Some IRL, and of course, the heavy hitters on this forum.

When they talk, I shut up and listen.
I'm going to do the same thing as your niece. I can ask for cash from my parents to get supplies, books or even a TMF INSIDERS, but that's cheating. My Fastlane will provide the funds I NEED.

The heavy hitters on the forum have quality threads. Just now I was reading @Vigilante 's post on legendary customer service....my jaw dropped.:nailbiting::notworthy:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
My niece amazes me. She really does. She made lots of money mowing lawns this last summer, while her sister memorized every meme on the internet.

She donated half of her money to charity too. Just amazing. "I want to make lots of money so I can help lots of people" she says.

Needless to say, she gets lots of mentoring and encouragement from her uncle. She's already decided to be an electrical engineer, because there is high demand apparently. She recently changed that to "I'm going to be the person other electrical engineer's work for" I have NO DOUBT that she''ll go far.

And yeah, for the heavy hitters here, I figure that's the best way to show them respect is to just listen, absorb the mindset and knowledge, and then apply it. These guys are changing lives, no joke.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My niece amazes me. She really does. She made lots of money mowing lawns this last summer, while her sister memorized every meme on the internet.

She donated half of her money to charity too. Just amazing. "I want to make lots of money so I can help lots of people" she says.

Needless to say, she gets lots of mentoring and encouragement from her uncle. She's already decided to be an electrical engineer, because there is high demand apparently. She recently changed that to "I'm going to be the person other electrical engineer's work for" I have NO DOUBT that she''ll go far.

Preview

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Man, your are a better person than me.

I just smile, nod, and let them cruise the slowlane.

I'll wave as I roar past a year or two from now.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Fastlane should be treated like religion/politics -- unless someone explicitly brings up the topic, things are better left unsaid.

Our actions and results speak louder than words -- if someone wants to know why you are spending 2 weeks doing missionary work in Haiti on behalf of your religion, you have an avenue to a conversation. Likewise, if someone wants to know how you can travel 10X a year and are at the movie theater on a Tuesday morning, you have another avenue.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Fastlane should be treated like religion/politics -- unless someone explicitly brings up the topic, things are better left unsaid.

True fact. Example: my parents are insisting on starting a 529 for my now 1 month old son. I really don't see the point, and it precipitated the "OMG, are you saying you don't want our grandson to go to college" conversation,... which is how they interpreted my notion that it'll be up to him if he wants to go to a quarter million dollar communist indoctrination camp in 20 years.....

Could have just said "Do what you want", or "hang on a bit till we set things up for him"... instead, I'm at loggerheads with two sets of grandparents because I want to let someone who is currently an infant make his own life choice 2 decades from now.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
What! Don't tell me you enjoy tearing Slowlaners up!:depressed::p:D

Come on, I would rather be talking to a Fastlaner who has vibrant ideas, or a customer who needs value.
But I had no choice, the codger was in the Fastlane and I had to run the racoon down...

Coaching is the best way to learn ;) :D

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
True fact. Example: my parents are insisting on starting a 529 for my now 1 month old son. I really don't see the point, and it precipitated the "OMG, are you saying you don't want our grandson to go to college" conversation,... which is how they interpreted my notion that it'll be up to him if he wants to go to a quarter million dollar communist indoctrination camp in 20 years.....

Could have just said "Do what you want", or "hang on a bit till we set things up for him"... instead, I'm at loggerheads with two sets of grandparents because I want to let someone who is currently an infant make his own life choice 2 decades from now.

Deep down grandparent have this unrivalled desire to provide their grandkids with everything they could ever want. What you are seeing is just a manifestation of that.

I dont know how a 529 works, but honestly, I would just let them get on with it. They will feel good because they believe they are giving your son an opportunity. If it turns out your son doesn't want to go to college, cool, he has a nest egg. (As mentioned, I don't even know how a 529 works, presumably you still have access to the cash even if you don't go to college?!)

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If it turns out your son doesn't want to go to college, cool, he has a nest egg. (As mentioned, I don't even know how a 529 works, presumably you still have access to the cash even if you don't go to college?!)

Taxed as ordinary income plus a 10% penalty on non-principal.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Deep down grandparent have this unrivalled desire to provide their grandkids with everything they could ever want. What you are seeing is just a manifestation of that.

I dont know how a 529 works, but honestly, I would just let them get on with it. They will feel good because they believe they are giving your son an opportunity. If it turns out your son doesn't want to go to college, cool, he has a nest egg. (As mentioned, I don't even know how a 529 works, presumably you still have access to the cash even if you don't go to college?!)

Totally get it, which is why I'm just going to let them do it and keep my mouth shut. The only real benefits of a 529 is that it's not considered your kid's asset when it comes time to apply for financial aid, and the earnings are tax free. It's after tax dollars that can only be used for a specific purpose. It's essentially the worst characteristics of both types of IRAs.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
That's messed up. Surely there are other tax free saving solutions in the states?

I have some relatives that are on a tax free program like that - They get disability then do odd jobs on the side for cash.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I have some relatives that are on a tax free program like that - They get disability then do odd jobs on the side for cash.

Municipal bonds. I think they pay like 2.5% on average right now. Don't spend it all in one place.

I chuckled that you posted these at the same time.

Here in the UK we have savings allowance which allow you to save about $25,000/year (in either cash or stocks/shares) completely tax free without any crazy penalties for withdrawal or stipulations on what you can spend your own money on. Just thought there might be something similar for you guys.

All just different flavours of the slowlane, but thats what grandparents have "thrived " in for years, so what they will be comfortable with

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't usually try to 'indoctrinate' Slowlaners, who think that joining MLMs, investing in mutual funds or buying stuff on the cheap will bring them financial haven, with the Fastlane. But sometimes one of the more staunch ones raises the pain points that set alarm bells ringing too much-basically going in front of my Fastlane lambo (virtual, not real! I'm not into fast cars!) thinking that they own the road.

So I had to hit that a$$ hard-with my Fastlane engines roaring and tyres screeching. There's no place for an a$$ where the fast and furious are.
Here was our conversation. These are not the actual words, but it went something like that:

Slowlaner: You have extra cash? (I had a bit, to prepare for a future Fastlane campaign) Put it in a mutual fund so that you can be wealthy.

Me: Mutual funds? Good luck with that. Why should I put my money into someone else's asset or buy their assets? Tsk, making them rich? Besides, it is too little to put in. Just a few thousand only. The rich put in MILLIONS for such financial instruments to be effective. I would rather create something which others buy from me.

Slowlaner: (getting defensive) Hey, i'm only giving you advice for your own good! I sold my own mutual funds to buy a house, and it would have grown even more had I not sold it. Besides my network company promises me success as my teacher (her senior) said that I would get it if I were desperate enough! I'm an entrepreneur!

Me: Entrepreneurs create assets that people buy, not buy assets to make others rich! You are no entrepreneur. You don't know how to create value!

You know what...just don't listen to any Slowlaner that threatens to disturb your brains. Just destroy their reality and beliefs with the harsh truth and walk away. And do it quickly, lest they stay around and irritate you.

But today was a good day! I found another complaint to add to my list of product enhancements for my fastlane! It was free!

If they respect you they will listen... No one who as ever respectfully asked my advice has gone into network marketing.

On the other hand, managed accounts like ones from JP Morgan are excellent places to stash money you arent currently deploying. They are pretty liquid in my experiences as well. The idea that you have to deploy every dime in your name on some entrepreneurial venture is a bit of a stretch. You would experience diminishing marginal returns and eventually negative returns and flat out waste. You really need one HELL of an ecosystem to be able to just feed it money and it automatically makes you more.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

I don't see the point of arguing with slow laners in the first place.

Why argue with people that don't get it? Even if you're right, they won't admit it.

Arguments are won with actions; you only really win when you force your opponent to admit defeat from the bottom of his or her own heart, even in those private moments when they think to themselves whilst alone. Most times, you can only do this with action.

Hence why @Vigilante used to eschew my grand declarations in the past, and told me to silently focus on action (and let success be my noise).

Sometimes, the difficulty lies in the fact that success takes time. It takes awhile to "figure the game out," and finally start winning consistently - and big. During this time, haters will hate and doubters will doubt. Since only the long-term results produced by your actions, you don't really have any ammunition to fight the haters and doubters.

All you can do is crank your confidence levels through the roof, developing a level of self-belief that strikes others as "arrogant," and might rub some people the wrong way. That's their problem, not yours.

In the words of Ayn Rand, it is their own souls that they betray, not yours. Practice the art of self-actualization, and transform yourself into the man or woman that people listen to.

A true champion doesn't have any competitors, because he dominates.

Does a wise man argue with a fool?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Se
I don't see the point of arguing with slow laners in the first place.

Why argue with people that don't get it? Even if you're right, they won't admit it.

Arguments are won with actions; you only really win when you force your opponent to admit defeat from the bottom of his or her own heart, even in those private moments when they think to themselves whilst alone. Most times, you can only do this with action.

Hence why @Vigilante used to eschew my grand declarations in the past, and told me to silently focus on action (and let success be my noise).

Sometimes, the difficulty lies in the fact that success takes time. It takes awhile to "figure the game out," and finally start winning consistently - and big. During this time, haters will hate and doubters will doubt. Since only the long-term results produced by your actions, you don't really have any ammunition to fight the haters and doubters.

All you can do is crank your confidence levels through the roof, developing a level of self-belief that strikes others as "arrogant," and might rub some people the wrong way. That's their problem, not yours.

In the words of Ayn Rand, it is their own souls that they betray, not yours. Practice the art of self-actualization, and transform yourself into the man or woman that people listen to.

A true champion doesn't have any competitors, because he dominates.

Does a wise man argue with a fool?
self actualisation really helps, but unfortunately this term and many others are heavily misused by crap life coaches.

Thanks for your support. I need to think about dominating rather than survival mediocrity

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
On the other hand, managed accounts like ones from JP Morgan are excellent places to stash money you arent currently deploying. They are pretty liquid in my experiences as well. The idea that you have to deploy every dime in your name on some entrepreneurial venture is a bit of a stretch. You would experience diminishing marginal returns and eventually negative returns and flat out waste. You really need one HELL of an ecosystem to be able to just feed it money and it automatically makes you more.

Of course investing is important. Besides channeling profits from my Fastlane system back into expanding it, I have to think of nurturing the extra cash. I shouldn't depend wholly on a huge business payout for a wealth plan!

Unfortunately, the Slowlaners TOTALLY misuse investing. They rush into the next big stocks or funds hoping to be the next Warren Buffett, or put too little for the money to make an impact.

I would rather have retarded cash to put in, or a killer business system before I worry about investing. The subject has gotten a bad taste in my mouth after I discovered the guru hypocrisy after reading TMF

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I chuckled that you posted these at the same time.

Here in the UK we have savings allowance which allow you to save about $25,000/year (in either cash or stocks/shares) completely tax free without any crazy penalties for withdrawal or stipulations on what you can spend your own money on. Just thought there might be something similar for you guys.

All just different flavours of the slowlane, but thats what grandparents have "thrived " in for years, so what they will be comfortable with

Thrived? Lol!

On taxes, country is pretty unstable at least for Slowlaners. The government is slamming all kinds of taxes like GST, even on retirement funds!

But then which government doesn't tax like crap?

On the Fastlane side:
a) since most businesses are Slowlane, a tax hike could kill the shitty ones off leaving room for more business creation. Creative destruction.

b) since retirement funds are bout to more taxation, many will at least try to put some money in other assets.

Those Fastlaners who specialise in real estate or financial instruments will do well

c) To cope with the tax (and price) hikes, people will want to look for more part time or better jobs.

We Fastlaners can choose our pick of hire.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

What if your kid wanna go Fastlane ( and might screw college in the first place)?

I am still very young, but I have considered that with the Fastlane success a true reality, I will have to teach the Fastlane to my kids (MJ DeMarco, your legacy!) and they might want to pursue Fastlane instead of college!

I'm not a millionaire yet, nor married or a father, but I have realised a few things.

If you read my earliest posts, I started this journey not for my own freedom or wealth, but for someone I love very much. Her imprisonment in the Slowlane college (and future job?) tore me apart. And the pain that followed led me to look for answers...and I found TMF...

I realised that my path to wealth would not be limited to just financial freedom, but also my legacy. My kids. The next generation.

I would never like my kids to be afraid of the job market, the uncertain economy or of poverty.

I don't want them to be afraid of others, to the point that they conform for the sake of approval.

I don't want them to go begging for jobs in the streets (like what is happening here!) or slaving their time for money.

I want them to create value that helps society, and for them to live richly from it.

I want my kids to stand firm when they face problems, and to fight back and dominate.

I want them to be free. But I must execute the Fastlane so that I shall be ready to bequeath it to them.

Thank you for reminding me that my aims in the Fastlane should not be selfish

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Too bad I found out that reality the hard way. That confrontation was not the first. I suppose discussing the Fastlane to Slowlaners is like making a sales pitch. And not everyone likes coffee

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.