The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

History of the Fastlane Meetup (formerly Beer and Pancakes)

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Since the 2018 meetup is fresh in the minds of many I thought I'd start the meetup history post.

This is all from my viewpoint as my memory is a little foggy. So please correct anything that is wrong.

Sometime around 2005, members of the RDPD forum decided that we should do a meetup. One of members organizing the meetup lived in Phoenix so they decided to have it in Phoenix. Because Mr. RD happened to also live in Scottsdale and his office was in Scottsdale, the member convinced RK to let us use his office as the meeting point. As far as I remember, this first meetup was just a 1-2 hour get together at night. All I remember is meeting RK and seeing his Lambo. I also met Snowbank that night. This was the first 2005 meetup.

In 2006, I actually don't remember anything from this meet up. I think we played cashflow during it?? I have vague memories of it being at a very small hotel, but not the Days Inn.

In 2007, RK let us use his office for the weekend for the meetup. I remember arriving late, around 10am to the 9am presentation and the mood was very different. I come to find out later that RK basically called the people at the meetup a bunch of losers because we were to busy spending time behind our computers. Basically, he didn't believe in the internet.

This led to a mass exodus of the RDPD forum, as the meeting was in Feb 2007.

I was golfing with SteveO later that year when he told me that MJ was starting his own forum. That's how I ended up joining in July 2007.

We had all basically switched forums over to MJs so the core people wanted to keep doing to the meetup. So in 2008, we continued the meetup over at the Days Inn. I remember I gave my first presentation on my ecommerce business that I just started 3 months earlier. (After that meetup, one of the members asked me who my supplier was so that he could sell the same product locally, LOL, you know who you are, but it's all good)

In 2009, A group of us took over managing the meetup so I actually have all my old emails to go back to. This event happened at the Days Inn also.

This is an email from SteveO to me...

"Mike Mariani (RealOG for those that don't know the name) is drooling over
party time. Kenric and I were able to listen to his ideas over coffee the
other day. Sounds like we are in good hands here.

Kenric will make sure that we have great food and giveaways. The plan is to
spend what we take in. Mike has offered some potential assistance with
food.

Thanks everyone for your hard work!!! You are all helping us to take this
to a meeting that will be as memorable as the last few!!! Now, if we can
just get MJ to call us names... <-- Ring the SteveO Joke Bell Here

I will assume that silence on proposals equals agreement. So, if anyone
does not agree with capping the participation at 30 and setting the
registration close date on Feb 6th, please speak up!!"

Isn't that crazy, we capped it at 30 people! We also made these cool t-shirts!

fastlanetshirts.gif

In 2010, we got fancy, we had our meet up at the Firesky Resort and we incorporated all meals into the meetup. We had 36 people at this one.

In 2011 we were at the Firesky again. According to my old guest list, we only had 25 at this event. I'm guessing we lost money on this one.

In 2012, we moved over to Chapparral Suites as Firesky increased their prices. I can't find anything about the number of people who attended this one. Weird?

That was also my last year in organizing the event. So the rest is from memory.

In 2013, @RealOG took over managing the event. I have no emails or memory on where this event took place. I think we were around 50 people at this event.

In 2014, @JasonR and Boris took over the organization of the meetup. I don't remember where it was held maybe Chapparral Suites again? I think the limit was 50 or 60 people?

In 2015, MJ officially took over and made it an official event of the forum, I did not attend this one as I was in Australia, making it the only one I've missed so far. Happened at the Scottsdale Marriott, about 80 ppl.

In 2016, I think the event had ballooned to 100 people and was held at the Talking Stick Resort.

There was no meetup in 2017.

Of course that leads us to 2018... 120 people.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In 2013, @RealOG took over managing the event. I have no emails or memory on where this event took place. I think we were around 50 people at this event.
This was my very first meetup, and WAAAAY out of my comfort zone (never traveled alone, never traveled to meet new people, didn't have a business setup yet in any meaningful way, had no idea what to expect, etc...)

There were 51 people at the event (I still have the schedule in my email!) and it took place at the "Days Hotel Scottsdale" which (to my memory) was actually a really awesome place. Small and a little cramped but nice.

I even offered to record all the presentations. Sadly I only found out my video camera got buggy / shaky after I got home. I still have all of them (actually found them in my files right before this year's event, funny enough). And no, I will not entertain any requests for them if you weren't physically there for them.

The Mariani's (I thought it was Kenric but was corrected recently) offered their backyard for the social aspect of the event and had food trucks and such do the catering every evening. I recall large-format Jenga being a huge hit :)

I was too cheap/poor to get my own room back then so I shared one with this young'n some folks might have heard of since then - @Kak

I started my first real business almost immediately after getting back home, got into numerous skype masterminds with amazing, amazing folks and my entire life was turned upside down in the best possible way.

The 2013 event was one of those few crossroads in life where the direction of my future changed drastically.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What year did @Kak host his bootleg "capitalism and bacon" meet up in Houston? I did not attend that but a couple of the stories are legendary. Needless to say that was a one-and-done.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2010
California
What year did @Kak host his bootleg "capitalism and bacon" meet up in Houston? I did not attend that but a couple of the stories are legendary. Needless to say that was a one-and-done.
July 2014. It's true what they say about how you sometimes meet lifelong friends at these meetups. I still speak with 2 guys from there on a very regular basis.

Man I've seen lives changed from presentations given at that meetup. 2 guys actually built clones of my biz from the information I gave during my presentation. It was cool to see people make spinoffs and add their own flavor to it.

A few of the other guys that I met there also ended up moving to San Diego and started their own entrepreneur house together.

EDIT: Totally forgot that there wasn't a 2017 meetup. Glad you are in good health today, @MJ DeMarco

Last edited:

96wells

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2017
virginia
As a first time attendee, I never thought I would fly to Arizona, talk with many fastlaners and first-timers (like me, just starting the journey), and make it back in one piece. Part of me is still in Arizona, questioning everyone I see. Sometimes now, I wonder how I even ended up there (to be honest).

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Erin was the original instigator if I recall correctly. She was the driver of getting us into the RD space for the meetings. Kenric and Erin were good friends.

Those first few meetups were small and intimate. Many people from that era are still around. Some don't spend time on the forums but are still there on facebook.

Our early days were very budget conscious. There were a lot less successes at the time and most were in the early stages.

I quit posting on the forums and going to the meetups when my business collapsed, rejoining after my head was cleared. If I remember correctly, your softball team helped in getting me out of my shell.

When MJ showed an interest in taking over the event, we handed it right over. We were hoping he would show more interest as we felt it would get more exposure. It did.

Thanks @biophase for putting this together.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
I did not attend the Firesky events but did speak at one of them. Not sure how visible it was to the audience but tears were running down my cheeks as I talked about the business collapse.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
2011 - Read TMF.

2013 - Attended my first meetup.

Two events that changed my life forever.

I almost didn't make it that year. A forum member had a ticket and couldn't make it at the last minute. He messaged me and wanted to gift the ticket to me as a thank you for the Insider Calls I had been coordinating at that time. For the life of me, I can't remember his forum name but his real name is John. Many thanks for that special gift!

I have a huge appreciation for the history of the meetup. Many thanks to Kenric and Erin for taking the initiative.

I was very happy MJ took it over. It was necessary for the brand. Especially considering some of the drama that had unfolded because of some unscrupulous members (nothing to do with the original meetup founders and attendees).

It pleased my soul when I saw how many people were first-time attendees this year. None of whom would have been there if it weren't for the humble beginnings.

Robert_R

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2017
New Mexico
I didn't realize there wasn't a meeting last year. I feel extra blessed that the probablity of getting a ticket was in my favor this time around. Do we now get a "Summit Attendee" added to our profile or do we need to go to a few more to quailify?

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Since the 2018 meetup is fresh in the minds of many I thought I'd start the meetup history post.

This is all from my viewpoint as my memory is a little foggy. So please correct anything that is wrong.

Sometime around 2005, members of the RDPD forum decided that we should do a meetup. One of members organizing the meetup lived in Phoenix so they decided to have it in Phoenix. Because Mr. RD happened to also live in Scottsdale and his office was in Scottsdale, the member convinced RK to let us use his office as the meeting point. As far as I remember, this first meetup was just a 1-2 hour get together at night. All I remember is meeting RK and seeing his Lambo. I also met Snowbank that night. This was the first 2005 meetup.

In 2006, I actually don't remember anything from this meet up. I think we played cashflow during it?? I have vague memories of it being at a very small hotel, but not the Days Inn.

In 2007, RK let us use his office for the weekend for the meetup. I remember arriving late, around 10am to the 9am presentation and the mood was very different. I come to find out later that RK basically called the people at the meetup a bunch of losers because we were to busy spending time behind our computers. Basically, he didn't believe in the internet.

This led to a mass exodus of the RDPD forum, as the meeting was in Feb 2007.

I was golfing with SteveO later that year when he told me that MJ was starting his own forum. That's how I ended up joining in July 2007.

We had all basically switched forums over to MJs so the core people wanted to keep doing to the meetup. So in 2008, we continued the meetup over at the Days Inn. I remember I gave my first presentation on my ecommerce business that I just started 3 months earlier. (After that meetup, one of the members asked me who my supplier was so that he could sell the same product locally, LOL, you know who you are, but it's all good)

In 2009, A group of us took over managing the meetup so I actually have all my old emails to go back to. This event happened at the Days Inn also.

This is an email from SteveO to me...

"Mike Mariani (RealOG for those that don't know the name) is drooling over
party time. Kenric and I were able to listen to his ideas over coffee the
other day. Sounds like we are in good hands here.

Kenric will make sure that we have great food and giveaways. The plan is to
spend what we take in. Mike has offered some potential assistance with
food.

Thanks everyone for your hard work!!! You are all helping us to take this
to a meeting that will be as memorable as the last few!!! Now, if we can
just get MJ to call us names... <-- Ring the SteveO Joke Bell Here

I will assume that silence on proposals equals agreement. So, if anyone
does not agree with capping the participation at 30 and setting the
registration close date on Feb 6th, please speak up!!"

Isn't that crazy, we capped it at 30 people! We also made these cool t-shirts!

View attachment 18104

In 2010, we got fancy, we had our meet up at the Firesky Resort and we incorporated all meals into the meetup. We had 36 people at this one.

In 2011 we were at the Firesky again. According to my old guest list, we only had 25 at this event. I'm guessing we lost money on this one.

In 2012, we moved over to Chapparral Suites as Firesky increased their prices. I can't find anything about the number of people who attended this one. Weird?

That was also my last year in organizing the event. So the rest is from memory.

In 2014, @JasonR and Boris took over the organization of the meetup. I don't remember where it was held maybe Chapparral Suites again? I think the limit was 50 or 60 people?

In 2015, MJ officially took over and made it an official event of the forum, I did not attend this one as I was in Australia, making it the only one I've missed so far.

In 2016, I think the event had ballooned to 100 people and was held at the Talking Stick Resort.

There was no meetup in 2017.

Of course that leads us to 2018...
This. Is. Process.

Gotta love history!

@Notable?

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2012
Colorado
I had actually lurked on the RDPD forums, and stalked a bunch of those people's blogs for many years. I actually read about the event in @biophase 's blog , and joined the Forum to get info about the meetup. This kind of explains why I'm not really active on the Forum.

BTW, @Jill , @danoodle, @LightHouse have some great photos of past meetups.

2012: My first B&P. From Chris' photo (all of us holding frozen pancakes and beer), it appears there were 22 attendees. Also Kyle's first B&P, and he rooms with Sasha. PF Chang's, and @MikeC is not old enough to join us at the bar. Dana ponders helping @GlobalWealth with chestscaping.

2013: At Days Hotel (previously named Clarion), downstairs in that bar/restaurant area with stone. I believe this is when Chris shows up last-minute at the Yardhouse, @TheTruth takes on professional pole dancing, Danielle M racks the bouncer at Smashboxx, @Trevor Kuntz celebrates his birthday, MikeC gets a golf-cart driver a ticket, and @Red tracks down where everyone got their credit cards skimmed. It was freezing cold that year. I think this is when I realized I can't hang when it comes to partying with you guys.

June 2013: C&B in Albuquerque. @Kak kicks out a douchebag (unnamed on purpose) after @million$$$smile 's presentation.

2014: At Chapparal Suites. First time meeting @Arrabista , who makes some profound statement on my way to breakfast, and it worked because I remember thinking, "Who the hell is this joker?!"

June 2014: C&B in Houston. Bust out the popcorn when the ladies (Dana, @AroundTheWorld , Danielle M) oust the scam artists. Damn, that was entertaining.

2015: First official Fastlane Summit at Marriott in Old Town Scottsdale.

2016: Talking Stick Resort.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I did not attend the Firesky events but did speak at one of them. Not sure how visible it was to the audience but tears were running down my cheeks as I talked about the business collapse.
I remember that talk. I was just talking to someone yesterday about that talk. Very memorable.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Chapparral Suites as Firesky increased their prices.
I think these 2 venues did maybe 3 or 4 of them.

All the venues...

Days Inn (3)?
Chaparral Suites (2)
Firesky (2)
Scottsdale Marriott (1)
Talking Stick Resort (2)

Vermilion

Contributor
Feb 21, 2018
Somewhere
I have a question:

- Is is there any chance for that event to be streamed online (u could probably draw some attention from the people who are not tied to this forum)for us who are not in a situation to travel to US.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
- Is is there any chance for that event to be streamed online (u could probably draw some attention from the people who are not tied to this forum)for us who are not in a situation to travel to US.
This comes up every year and every year it's a pretty solid "no".

The speakers are detailing aspects of their personal lives and businesses that aren't necessarily appropriate for a public audience. The moment you put something online is the moment you risk opening yourself up to recordings, distribution, the wrong eyes seeing it, etc...

SOME presenters may make their slides / presentations available but it's solely at the presenter's discretion. Some of the presenters would be out of a job if what they shared was disclosed outside of that room.

There were folks who came in from around the world for this event. Some of them their first time travelling alone. Their first time travelling to meet strangers.

It's unfortunate that not everyone is capable of making this event but it's a truly special event for those that CAN make it.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I was actually at this meetup, was a great time.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have deep respect for 90% of the original forum members. There are a couple of big, fat posers in the history of the forum also.

It is also disenchanting to watch from a back room perspective as some of the old school resurfaces here when they have something to sell.

Some of the "millionaires" were leveraged paper millionaires. However, there is a ton of history both in the meetups and in the forum archives, and it is cool that MJ has preserved all of that for those who come behind us.

Newbs : check out this thread GOLD! - Compilation of Peter2 Advice - Must Read

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was actually at this meetup, was a great time.
There was more than a little drama going on that distracted from the event but I do agree - 95% of folks were there for genuinely positive and good reasons and I absolutely loved meeting up with them at this event :D

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 22, 2012
Toronto
There was more than a little drama going on that distracted from the event but I do agree - 95% of folks were there for genuinely positive and good reasons and I absolutely loved meeting up with them at this event :D
I didn't even know about the drama until after the event lol, so it was all transparent to me. Met some awesome people, loved the Houston nightlife.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Houston sucks. Basically built on a swamp.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
I have deep respect for 90% of the original forum members. There are a couple of big, fat posers in the history of the forum also.
From back in the beginning or along the way?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007

It is also disenchanting to watch from a back room perspective as some of the old school resurfaces here when they have something to sell.

Some of the "millionaires" were leveraged paper millionaires. However, there is a ton of history both in the meetups and in the forum archives, and it is cool that MJ has preserved all of that for those who come behind us.

Newbs : check out this thread GOLD! - Compilation of Peter2 Advice - Must Read
Peter2 was phenomenal. Thanks for bringing attention to this.

I can't remember any charlatans from the original group or even from the first few meetups. I do remember an old member coming back to try and sell to the group.

The primary members leveraged in real estate were me and RussH. Russ came out of the downturn smelling like a rose. Me, on the other hand... Am I the reference in the above statement?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Peter2 was phenomenal. Thanks for bringing attention to this.

I can't remember any charlatans from the original group or even from the first few meetups. I do remember an old member coming back to try and sell to the group.

The primary members leveraged in real estate were me and RussH. Russ came out of the downturn smelling like a rose. Me, on the other hand... Am I the reference in the above statement?
HELL NO. You're the only one I like. :)

Did you ever meet Peter2 in person?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
HELL NO. You're the only one I like. :)

Did you ever meet Peter2 in person?
No, wish I had. Read everyone of his posts though.

There was a gap of a couple of years between when I left the forum and you came on. There must have been some characters that I did not know. Other than the couple of high profile ones.

Thanks for clarifying.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2013
Looks like the numbers have grown almost every year. To those who were there when the numbers were smaller, would you prefer to go back to the more intimate events of 50 or less?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
A few of the other guys that I met there also ended up moving to San Diego and started their own entrepreneur house together.
That was myself and @nitroheadz28 . We have since formed a local mastermind group with @Gary @RayAndré and soon to be others. Very grateful to have met so many cool like minded people through this forum and meetups.

PS. Anyone visiting or living in SD, hit us up, we'd love to hang out and talk shop!

I didn't even know about the drama until after the event lol, so it was all transparent to me. Met some awesome people, loved the Houston nightlife.
I didn't realize it either. I was the dude who did the presentation on Craigslist flipping at the time. I can't remember who it was, but somebody basically volunteered me to do a presentation by the seat of my pants after I asked "what value I could provide to everyone here??" I was 17 or 18 at the time. I'm also extremely grateful that happened. I was WAY out of my comfort zone but by the end of the presentation I had people rolling on the floor laughing at what I was doing to hustle, and it definitely lightened the mood. Made me realize that even newbies that think they "can't add value" really can. Everybody's got a story ;)

Being a broke a$$ young child for that meetup, we ended up packing 8 guys (yes, 8) into ONE hotel room, and calling it the "Sardine Room." @scott.legendre @nitroheadz28 @IceCreamKid @Mike39 @hotshot @Carny and others. We still have a Skype group going and talk sporadically.

Life Changing event for me.

This was one of the first threads I ever discovered. My mind was BLOWN when I read this. I remember being at my slowlane job, had this up on my second monitor under some "work" windows, switching back and forth, took me a while to read through it all but I was HOOKED after that. Long Live Peter2!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Just had a personal highlight of the program so far - @GuitarManDan gave a one hour Zoom talk on...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Received, and I replied ;) Hope you will take out more protegesss soon ;)
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock