The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring Virtual Assistants For Web Development: What Am I Doing Wrong?

collegeweb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2012
It sounds like everyone has it so easy at hiring a good VA but I am having no luck. So far I am failing at hiring anyone.

I've got 4 websites that I run and REALLY need to get them off my hands, so I am looking for a virtual assitant for 10-20 hours a week at $10/hr budget or lower. They would need to have good development skills and be able to make major design changes. Extreme development like new plugin development could be hired out, but they would need to oversee the project.

First I am talking to them on Skpye to asses their communication & professionalism. Many flunk out here, with being barely understandable in English, barely audible connection, etc. Then I give them an assessment project, with a scope of work packet, and this video:
View: http://youtu.be/JcbfaUjVOJA?hd=1
If they give me a reasonable time estimate I give them a shot.

Both tasks have been done before by my reputable developer (he currently only takes projects over $1000), so i know how long they should take, and what the quality looks like. No one comes close to delivering the quality I am looking for. Im talking poor functioning form (not something patt flynn would put on his site smartpassiveincome.com), css errors, the header is not responsive. All kinds of crap .

WTH am I doing wrong? I really need some help. Are my trial tasks ridiculous?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Where are you looking for them? Craigslist? Upwork?

because 10$ per hour might be too low for what you're asking for for those skills. Maybe look at the cash flow of the wesbsite and work a percentage that will be reasonable for you to have someone working on them on a reuglar basis

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
if you're hiring $10 on upwork, that's too low for what you described.

If you want to keep it as low as possible and find someone decent, you should hire someone who is a web designer/developer in another country who can speak/understand english/tasks. This way you have someone who understands websites already and should be cheaper since they are not US (or English, or Canadian)

From my experience, what you're describing, you're looking at 20-25 hr versus $10 to find someone reliable who can handle the tasks you outlined without constant babysitting or randomly disappearing.

collegeweb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2012
Currently using upwork. Have tried freelancer.

Where are you looking for them? Craigslist? Upwork?

because 10$ per hour might be too low for what you're asking for for those skills. Maybe look at the cash flow of the wesbsite and work a percentage that will be reasonable for you to have someone working on them on a reuglar basis

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
if you're hiring $10 on upwork, that's too low for what you described.

If you want to keep it as low as possible and find someone decent, you should hire someone who is a web designer/developer in another country who can speak/understand english/tasks. This way you have someone who understands websites already and should be cheaper since they are not US (or English, or Canadian)

From my experience, what you're describing, you're looking at 20-25 hr versus $10 to find someone reliable who can handle the tasks you outlined without constant babysitting or randomly disappearing.

Seconded, you get what you pay for.. if you want a better service, be ready to dish out a bit more of cash but remember the return probably will be greater in the long run.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've hired a few freelancers to build websites and do graphics for clients. Most of them fail my litmus tests.

Don't be sad or discouraged if you get a lot of fails. Be slow to hire and quick to fire (thanks @Kak).

Here's some sad truth about hiring hourly on Upwork: those who charge less per hour bill more hours. They'll bill 8 hours for something that takes me 2, and I'm NOT a web development expert! Don't be fooled by low hourly rates. Some of these cats work 40 hours a day. Yea right lol

My litmus tests are: (1) good work history. Occasional low ratings are OK but must have 90% success rating. (2) good enough English. They don't need to be fluent like a native, they just need to be able to understand what I'm saying. I test this by giving specific instructions and if they fail, bam. (3) a simple thing that @Omni mentioned: put 'GREEN' or some other color in the middle or end of your job description. Tell them to type that color in their proposal. If they don't, insta fail. (4) can work on my time. I can't stand receiving messages at like 1am asking me for shit. Bitch I'm sleeping.

If they pass all these, I give them something simple for low pay. One time I gave a guy a single page to do, input the text where I want it. I had the Wordpress theme loaded and gave him the design. Another time I told a guy to make me a logo that I was never going to use. Now I just give them something related to the project. How you do one thing is how you do everything. I'd rather pay some money for a small fail up front than a big fail later.

collegeweb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2012
This is very similar to what I am doing now... just been a headache trying everyone though.

I've hired a few freelancers to build websites and do graphics for clients. Most of them fail my litmus tests.

Don't be sad or discouraged if you get a lot of fails. Be slow to hire and quick to fire (thanks @Kak).

Here's some sad truth about hiring hourly on Upwork: those who charge less per hour bill more hours. They'll bill 8 hours for something that takes me 2, and I'm NOT a web development expert! Don't be fooled by low hourly rates. Some of these cats work 40 hours a day. Yea right lol

My litmus tests are: (1) good work history. Occasional low ratings are OK but must have 90% success rating. (2) good enough English. They don't need to be fluent like a native, they just need to be able to understand what I'm saying. I test this by giving specific instructions and if they fail, bam. (3) a simple thing that @Omni mentioned: put 'GREEN' or some other color in the middle or end of your job description. Tell them to type that color in their proposal. If they don't, insta fail. (4) can work on my time. I can't stand receiving messages at like 1am asking me for shit. Bitch I'm sleeping.

If they pass all these, I give them something simple for low pay. One time I gave a guy a single page to do, input the text where I want it. I had the Wordpress theme loaded and gave him the design. Another time I told a guy to make me a logo that I was never going to use. Now I just give them something related to the project. How you do one thing is how you do everything. I'd rather pay some money for a small fail up front than a big fail later.

collegeweb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2012
I know some people are telling me to pay more than the $10/hr, but you got guys like Pat Flynn (Smart Passive Income) and Chris Drucker (chrisdrucker.com) all talk about hiring these awesome full time developers for $1000/m sometimes less. We can all do the math on that.

Hell even onlinejobs.ph says $590 - 1000. Comprehensive Guide To Virtual Assistant Salaries In The Philippines - OJ Blog

Last edited:

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I know some people are telling me to pay more than the $10/hr, but you got guys like Pat Flynn (Smart Passive Income) and Chris Drucker (chrisdrucker.com) all talk about hiring these awesome full time developers for $1000/m sometimes less. We can all do the math on that.

Hell even onlinejobs.ph says $590 - 1000. Comprehensive Guide To Virtual Assistant Salaries In The Philippines - OJ Blog

Ok but think about the value, they have a reputation and people are tripping over each other trying to land a job with those guys because they can say I 'did' a website for Pat Flynn or whatever to boost their sales or price for other people. SO that being said, what do YOU have to offer to those workers?

Remeber time=money... The more time you spend trying to find a cheap yet amazing web developer.. the more time you don't have to focus on your growth and business ventures...

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY

Probably only get Philippines or India developers at those rates, and trust me, the headaches and time wasted with those devs is a nightmare to avoid

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is very similar to what I am doing now... just been a headache trying everyone though.

Strengthen your litmus tests.

As far as the hourly thing goes, I've found that good quality can come from $10/hr but you gotta know what you're paying for nonetheless

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.