The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring on Upwork

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
I just hired someone on Upwork to create a website for me. We came up with 4 milestones for payment. He is requesting that I pay the milestone before it is completed as a down payment. Is this typical? I have never used it before but my understanding was the work would be accomplished for each milestone, then the freelancer would get paid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I prefer to pay hourly because of things like this. But yes, this is common.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Look at their ratings (hopefully you did before you hired them). Do they have repeat business? Do they have 5x to 10x earnings on upwork more than the job you just gave them? Do they have mainly 5 star ratings? If yes to each of these, then yes, pay them some upfront. If no, then why the hell did you hire them? Reject the offer and find a worker that meets all those.

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
Look at their ratings (hopefully you did before you hired them). Do they have repeat business? Do they have 5x to 10x earnings on upwork more than the job you just gave them? Do they have mainly 5 star ratings? If yes to each of these, then yes, pay them some upfront. If no, then why the hell did you hire them? Reject the offer and find a worker that meets all those.

They have very good ratings and a lot of previous history on Upwork. They have the "Top Rated" tag as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.