The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring an ebook writer

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
I'm in the middle of creating a non-fiction ebook about a topic where I can add value to readers. I have structured the contents of the book and have broken each chapter down into as much detail as possible about what I want included. The ebook will have a minimum of 50 pages and have 9 chapters.

Hiring a writer is the next step. I am planning to post the job on odesk, however, I'm a little unsure about how to charge. Should I set a fixed price or charge hourly? I am leaning towards charging a fixed price given the research I've done. Any ideas about the price I should offer? I am thinking around $200?

Any other tips or feedback about the hiring process would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I always set a fixed price, because a lot of people seem to have "problems" with their time management; they simply want to squeeze out every penny possible and it's a PITA to constantly monitor them.

Also, good job on structuring and breaking it down into details. This will help you immensely with holding people accountable and make their work easier.

You can find good writers by searching for "kindle" "ebook" and related keywords on oDesk using a freelancer profile, not the employer one, then check out other companies, their past projects and ratings/reviews of freelancers and then invite those to your project.

One thing you can use to weed out people who can't or won't read instructions: At the end of your project description, put something like "To prove you read these instructions, put the word RESEARCH in the first line of your proposal."

Last edited:

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
What do you think about the price? Is $200 reasonable?

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
What do you think about the price? Is $200 reasonable?

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. Of course it always depends on the topic, but $200 should get you a high quality ebook.

Mialove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 12, 2014
Only fix price, don't even think about the second option. (i am talking from very bad experience) :))
200-300 it's a fine range.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
I've done this a few times - the above posts should definitely lead you in the right direction.

• Always set a fixed price.
  • Never hire anyone who hasn't done a lot of projects
  • Never hire anyone with a bad rating
  • Cheaper doesn't always mean low quality - On the internet writers are competing with people from around the world who are willing to work for cheap.. use that to your advantage but don't hire someone who obviously has bad english and grammar skills (look at their portfolio!!)
  • Take your time to hire people - feel out their personalities. If their communication sucks during the hiring process it's going to suck the whole time they're working on your project
  • Don't be afraid to negotiate! If you find someone that you like it's totally ok to try to get them for as cheap as they're willing to work for.
  • Finally and most importantly... Don't be afraid to F*ck up. Just take what you're being told here and JUMP IN! You'll have a book out in no time.

Also just a quick tip - there are some amazing ebook cover artists on fiverr. If you're looking for an artist that's a good spot to chekc out first.

PM me if you need any more help.

Blue Lion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 30, 2013
Asia
The topic is Poker related. After playing pro for a couple of years, I know the industry very well and think I have spotted an niche to pursue.

I am thinking of starting a progress thread on the inside which could be useful for other forum members too. That's when I finally get my paypal account sorted so that I can pay for an INSIDERS's subscription!

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Published Author here. If you need any guidance or looking for a great person with fast turn around, I know a few people.

S

stranger

How to make sure the ebook writer won't steal your ebook or re-sell it to someone else?
Of course, I trust to people, however, I faced with dishonest guys also.

Mike3234

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 9, 2014
Nadia I am also considering if you have a great person in mind please posr

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
EDIT: Shit, only read thread, didn't check post dates.

I have a freelancer working for me right now on a long term basis. High quality work (organic 5 star reviews on amazon), and he's based in Sri Lanka. Right now he's doing $3/1000 words for me, quick, and come December I plan on raising the payment. Like @SeanyHang said, cheaper price does not equal lower quality. I'd recommend having all applicants write a 3-500 word essay over the same topic as a test run, then pick the cream of the crop.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.