The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Higher matematics and business

Mysterious

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 13, 2017
Europe
Hello to you fastlaners. I don't know if this is the right section but I would like to know your opinions and experiences on higher matematics and business. How much of you what you learned in college about higher matematics like limits, integrals and stuff like that,is used in business? Do you use it? Or just basic statistics and math knowledge is enough for you to build your wealth?

P.S I am in college myself and this stuff seems pretty useless to me, I will forget it next day when I will finish exams.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
It is - useless.

To some extent, it is useful. But a lot of academia is theory.

A lot of entrepreneurs like Daymond John and Richard Branson are dyslexic. You don't need to be a genius to make it in business, just work harder than everyone else.

And like MJ says, find a need, and execute on that need.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have a phd in physics, so I know a few things about higher mathematics (admittedly, less than someone who has a phd in math, but whatever).

with respect to running a business, making sales, and marketing... math isn't very useful.

If you want to solve some of the major problems the species is facing, and dedicate your business career to a moonshot, higher mathematics is useful. I'm pushing into machine learning, and my physics background has been indispensable.

That being said, i wouldn't advocate getting a higher degree in math / science just to pursue a career in business. If you're smart enough to understand upper undergrad level math/science then you don't need college to learn them.

Mysterious

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 13, 2017
Europe
I have a phd in physics, so I know a few things about higher mathematics (admittedly, less than someone who has a phd in math, but whatever).

with respect to running a business, making sales, and marketing... math isn't very useful.

If you want to solve some of the major problems the species is facing, and dedicate your business career to a moonshot, higher mathematics is useful. I'm pushing into machine learning, and my physics background has been indispensable.

That being said, i wouldn't advocate getting a higher degree in math / science just to pursue a career in business. If you're smart enough to understand upper undergrad level math/science then you don't need college to learn them.

Well, I don't pursue degree in math, but higher mathematics is part of my study in business degree,so I have to learn it at least to finish my exams. Off the topic, I like to read about science, geeky stuff but when it comes to math and actually doing it, I don't enjoy it, but if it is something about accounting, count me in. Strange.

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
My engineering degree gave me the ability to think differently. The ability to look at a system or a problem and break it down into tiny pieces makes things far less overwhelming and more manageable. Do I find myself analyzing the heat loss of a sphere using multi-variable equations? Not since I had to for my classes. The strategies for solving the problem carry over to many different scenarios though.

I would say that if it's offered in your curriculum, someone out there is using it in their job (maybe an analyst?). Like most degrees though, one probably applies only a fraction of what's taught in undergrad.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
I have an undergrad degree in math.

Straight applicability to my business? Zero.

However, the practice in building logical systems via proofs is good mental exercise for putting together logical systems in your business. At least it helps me know whether I'm really clear on how something works or not.

Leoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 9, 2012
Los Angeles/Tokyo
I have a masters in applied mathematics from a prestigious business school and how much do I use it in business? ZERO.

The only benefit of high level math is that it's such strenuous mental gymnastics that your brain muscle becomes permanently stronger after having gone through it, and I'm sure I'm benefitting from that on a day to day basis. But direct applicability is non-existent, unless you work for the military or at a think tank like RAND.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
business is about managing customers

mathematics are rational things while people are irrational

and the funny thing is that they are " predictably irrational "

sounds like a joke , isn't it ?

but this is not a joke

pred.jpg

that's why intelligence agencies are forced to use data center, data mining , all the best of mathematics , software , hardware and so on

nsa.jpg
the NSA's new data center in utah

all these insane technologies and sciences

just for one thing : knowing people and their behaviours, all these irrational beings

mathematics are a joke compared to people's irrational behaviours

so the most important thing to learn in life is how to deal with people

Mysterious

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 13, 2017
Europe
Well, all of you already confirmed what I expected. I thank you for your time to post your opinion and experience to some random guy in internet.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Well, all of you already confirmed what I expected. I thank you for your time to post your opinion and experience to some random guy in internet.

you are not a random guy

randoms guys don't ask questions . they follow what have been set up for them by the masters

Master–slave morality - Wikipedia

Nietzsche was right.

masters are here to do what is right according to their intelligence. ( masters morality )

tha'ts why they use mathematics to understand , predict , control and manage the " slave " morality

top secret documents ( silent weapons for quiet wars) have revealed that the structure of society follows electricity patterns

quote :

" To make a short story of it all, it was discovered that an economy obeyed the same laws as electricity and that all of the mathematical theory and practical and computer know-how developed for the electronic field could be directly applied in the s tudy of economics. "

source : Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars

but this is not the right forum for discussing social engineering so anyway. i won't go further

but...

as usual,...

Masters vs pawns : 1-0

chess.jpg

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.