The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi I'm Craig, a dad of 3 living in Vancouver, Canada

What is your WHY?

• Total voters

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Hey, everyone!

I'm Craig, an entrepreneur & consultant living in Vancouver, Canada.

I found TMF last night while reading a comment on a blog post by the Tropical MBA.

I woke up this morning, as per usual at 5:30 am to head into my consulting contract.

As I walked out the door, my 5-year-old son stopped me to ask;

"Dad! When are we going to build that Lego monster? You said you would a couple of days ago but you are so busy."

I told him we would try tonight after I got home and he said ok and have a great day dad.

I got into the car and started my hour long journey to my client's office and all I could think about was my son saying: but dad, you said you would a couple of days ago but you are so busy."

It hurt my heart so much and even got angry as to how much time my consulting work takes me away from my 3 kids and wife.

This is my WHY.

Why I want to create financial freedom and time to enjoy it. I don't want a Lamborghini or flashy million dollar lifestyle.

I want more time to play Lego with my kids. It's simple but highly motivating and why I'm here.

I started listing to TMF on Audible this morning and ready to learn new ideas, make some needed changes to crack the wealth code.

I'm an online entrepreneur and blog about it here. I've started several side hustles and read like a madman all working to create wealth. I'm having some success but are just not quite there in replacing my 6 figure consulting income.

I'm hoping to learn new knowledge, share my learnings and want to help others reach their goals too.

Have a question, need help or want to work together, please reach out.

Looking forward to learning more and meeting other entrepreneurs hustling to meet their life goals.

Cheers

Craig

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• crc.png
    crc.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 3

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Craig, great intro, and even more, great WHY!

Be sure to check out my next book -- I go deeper into the WHYs and the MEANING/PURPOSE powering them.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you check out the Gold Threads, there's a lot of great info there.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
It hurt my heart so much and even got angry as to how much time my consulting work takes me away from my 3 kids and wife.

I feel you on this one. IMO, for parents, there is no better "Why". Time and freedom to do whatever, whenever with the family.

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I feel you on this one. IMO, for parents, there is no better "Why". Time and freedom to do whatever, whenever with the family.
So true. I also want to teach my kids to get in the millionaire fast lane rather than the school: college: job track.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also want to teach my kids to get in the millionaire fast lane rather than the school: college: job track.

Teach them that entrepreneurship is a viable option, and then let them make the decision themselves. The last thing you want them to say is "I wanted to be a veterinarian (or any other profession), but my dad said I had to start a business!"

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Teach them that entrepreneurship is a viable option, and then let them make the decision themselves. The last thing you want them to say is "I wanted to be a veterinarian (or any other profession), but my dad said I had to start a business!"

Great Advice cmore16.

We homeschool our kids for this exact reason. We focus on self-directed learning so they get to choose their own path. My goal to teach them as many options, ideas, and paths as possible. I want them to know they need cash flow and that there are 1000's of ways to generate it doing something they love. I don't want to prescribe their future and make decisions for them.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome Craig. Nice intro, and nicely written too. You have a powerful why indeed.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs.. You don't necessarily have to match your onsite consultant income with side hustle money, just exceed your monthly expenses.

I've mostly had onsite consultant revenue since 2000. When a few contracts finished I decided to not look for other onsite work and now work from home. Revenue went down and I'm building it back up.

The best bit is I spend two hours with the kids before taking them to school, and I down tools at 2:30pm to go get them, do homework, play, do bedtime stories, etc.

I chatter about this in the second radio interview in my signature.

You might find the first link in my sig useful for getting up to speed with the forum.

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Welcome Craig. Nice into, and nicely written too. You have a powerful why indeed.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs.. You don't necessarily have to match your onsite consultant income with side hustle money, just exceed your monthly expenses.

I've mostly had onsite consultant revenue since 2000. When a few contracts finished I decided to not look for other onsite work and now work from home. Revenue went down and I'm building it back up.

The best bit is I spend two hours with the kids before taking them to school, and I down tools at 2:30pm to go get them, do homework, play, do bedtime stories, etc.

I chatter about this in the second radio interview in my signature.

You might find the first link in my sig useful for getting up to speed with the forum.

Thanks Andy for the warm welcome and advice.

My goal is similar to what you mentioned. If I wasn't consulting, my expenses would be reduced quite a bit. Wouldn't need my commuter car+gas, less $$ on clothing, lunches and other expenses.

Will check out your links. Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...