The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hey! .... You tryin' to change your life today?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
⚡ Key # 1 ⚡

Here is how to change everything in an instant....

Feeling crappy today?

Feel like you can't get started?

Don't know how or what to do?

Guy you held the door open for earlier didn't say thank you?

Jerk in traffic cut you off, then flicked YOU off?

Spouse not seeing the hard work you put in to keep the house clean?

Kids don't care about all the things you do for them?

Parents don't see how hard you are working?

Boss didn't notice that you are in early and did sally's work for her to help the team?

I get it, I get YOU

I really do, but that doesn't really matter.

....Do you want to change it all today?

what about.... RIGHT NOW?

@Kung Fu Steve is going to slap my wrist (oh plz) for putting this very valuable TR lesson out there (since it's part of his exclusive group, but I wanted to share it after having a conversation with @Vigilante earlier.

This is one of 3 keys that i use daily that have turned my life upside down.

So here it is....

"Turn your expectations into appreciation... and your life will change immediately"

Wait, What does that mean and is this some mind bending bullshit again? well #1 yes, of course. How else did you think it was going to happen, by eating 11ty bags of cheetos at 10pm?

You are suffering because you are in a state of mind that breeds suffering. The world owes you down to every please and thank you. One missed expectation stacks a top another and before you know it, BOOM, depression.

If you are looking for negativity in this world, you are in luck. It is everywhere. If you want, i'll send truck loads to your house!

My ask here is only 1 thing, Take 10 minutes today to think about the above quote and what it might mean to you and your life. Re-read the top section of this OP and see how you can make it apply to each situation.

I am not going to do it for you, because you would just as quickly forget it.

Don't like it? Don't care.

Do like it? Share it with someone else that might need a simple lesson. I promise you it will fulfill you today, tomorrow, and into the future.

⚡ Quick Links to the other Keys....
Key #2
Key #3
Key #4

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I work to change a life every day. (definitely keeps me busy....)
One of the ways I do it is to pass along the knowledge @LightHouse just let out of the bag.
Reframe it!

Instead of 'have to' .... 'GET to!'....
Replace every 'but' with 'and' .....
Be happy and thankful for your day and your chance to be there for someone else. Be the rock.
LOOK for the good in each situation.
Control your mind and your attitude toward those around you.

One of the things I do with my kids ...... instead of 'how was your day?', so they tell me about all the homework and projects and issues and negative ..... I ask 'what is something cool that happened today?' ...... leads to a lot better dinner conversation!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Instead of 'have to' .... 'GET to!'....
Replace every 'but' with 'and' .....

YES....!

I can't begin to tell you how useful doing these two things can be for your daily life.

Your state of mind is often shaped by the stories you tell yourself and the words you use are an indicator of those stories (also a KFS lesson). So if you want to start re-shaping the stories you tell yourself, start with the words you use day to day.

The above two are part of the list of most efficient ones that you can start
immediately. (yes, it will feel weird at first. but doesn't everything?..... hello?:rofl: )

Rep + to you @ZCP

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
For some reason I am great at doing this in business, but terrible at doing so at home.

More appreciation needed.

Will give it a try!

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
A great example is ZCPs reply on the Coming Recession post today.
Well put and calmed the waters a bit as it was getting a bit heated lol.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Feeling crappy today?

Boss didn't notice that you are in early and did sally's work for her to help the team?

I get it, I get YOU

@Kung Fu Steve is going to slap my wrist (oh plz) for putting this very valuable TR lesson out there (since it's part of his exclusive group, but I wanted to share it after having a conversation with @Vigilante earlier.

So here it is....

"Turn your expectations into appreciation... and your life will change immediately"

Wait, What does that mean and is this some mind bending bullshit again? well #1 yes, of course. How else did you think it was going to happen, by eating 11ty bags of cheetos at 10pm?

You are suffering because you are in a state of mind the breeds suffering. The world owes you down to every please and thank you. One missed expectation stacks a top another and before you know it, BOOM, depression.

If you are looking for negativity in this world, you are in luck. It is everywhere. If you want, i'll send truck loads to your house!

My ask here is only 1 thing, Take 10 minutes today to think about the above quote and what it might mean to you and your life. Re-read the top section of this OP and see how you can make it apply to each situation.

Do like it? Share it with someone else that might need a simple lesson. I promise you it will fulfill you today, tomorrow, and into the future.
You didn't explain how it helped you or changed your life tho...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When my kids tell me "I can't" ... I tell them to say "yet".

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Feeling crappy today?

I get it, I get YOU

So here it is....

You are suffering because you are in a state of mind that breeds suffering. The world owes you down to every please and thank you. One missed expectation stacks a top another and before you know it, BOOM, depression.

Godsend!

Thank you a million times for sharing this, @LightHouse.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
One of the things I do with my kids ...... instead of 'how was your day?', so they tell me about all the homework and projects and issues and negative ..... I ask 'what is something cool that happened today?' ...... leads to a lot better dinner conversation!

This is spot on, the first question just leaves our brain on autopilot (as it is most of the time), we don't pour an ounce of thought into how to answer "how are you". While a question like "what is something cool that happened today?" actually gets us thinking, and a little bit excited to answer. You can do this with about any regular question you ask people even when you don't have any real interest in them, questions such as "how are you?", "where are you from?", "what do you do for a living?" are generally pretty boring and included in the category of uninteresting question we answer all the time and to which we don't give much thought. Asking better questions makes the conversation more engaging for both parties involved. Put some more thought into the questions you are going to ask, and you will get more thoughtful answers.

Great thread, we have the power to change our state of mind within ourselves, it "just" takes a lot of mental work, and we all know how allergic we are to mental work.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY

If you have difficulties grasping the concept OP is trying to deliver, read this story below (source: random website from google) and see if you get it. I'm pretty sure many people have come across this story already but no harm to read it again.

The 90/10 Rule
10% of life is things that happen to us. We have no control over these events. 90% of our life depends on how we react to the things that happen to us. We can have total control over our choice of reaction to the things that happen to us.

Imagine this situation: It is breakfast time at home and John and Suzie and their daughter Sally are sitting at the table. Sally turns quickly and knocks the coffee all over her father John’s shirt.

Scenario 1)

John curses and says “how could you be so clumsy! Now I am going to have to change this shirt.” He then turns to his wife and says “how could you have left the coffee so close to the edge of the table!”. He storms upstairs to change his shirt leaving behind a daughter in tears and an angry wife.

He is now leaving home 5 minutes later and the traffic is terrible. Sally is in the back of the car and totally ignoring him. He drops her to school where she is now late and pissed off. He reaches work angry and his boss says “lets review that important document we need to deliver today”… John has left it at home in the rush. He had left it out on the table to do a final review first thing in the morning, but the chaos at home meant that he rushed out without picking it up. His boss is frustrated because this is an important opportunity and John has to return home to pick up the document.

That night the house is a tense angry situation with nobody talking to each other…

Why did John, Suzy and Sally have a bad day?

1) because of the spilt coffee?
2) because of Sally spilling the coffee?
3) because of the traffic?
4) because of his boss and the important meeting?
5) because of John’s reaction to the spilt coffee?

Scenario 2)

Sally spills the coffee and looks shocked and concerned. John looks at his shirt, pauses, and looks at his daughter “Oh no I will have to change this shirt. Don’t worry, I have another one upstairs. You need to be a little bit more careful, but its only a shirt”. John hugs Sally and goes and changes his shirt. John comes downstairs to find his wife is going to take their daughter to school and he has 10 minutes to review his document. He makes a couple of good notes and gets in his car. There is traffic, but he is focussed on the way he will present the document to his boss and practices the presentation out loud in the car. He arrives at work, enters bosses office, delivers a well thought through presentation. That night he reaches the house and everybody is sitting at dinner sharing their day.

Two different scenarios began the same but ended very different. They ended different not because of 1) or 2) or 3) or 4)… but 5) how John chose to react to something that happened to him.

10% of life is stuff that happens to you. 90% depends on your choice of reaction to what has happened to you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you have difficulties grasping the concept OP is trying to deliver, read this story below (source: random website from google) and see if you get it. I'm pretty sure many people have come across this story already but no harm to read it again.

The 90/10 Rule
10% of life is things that happen to us. We have no control over these events. 90% of our life depends on how we react to the things that happen to us. We can have total control over our choice of reaction to the things that happen to us.

Imagine this situation: It is breakfast time at home and John and Suzie and their daughter Sally are sitting at the table. Sally turns quickly and knocks the coffee all over her father John’s shirt.

Scenario 1)

John curses and says “how could you be so clumsy! Now I am going to have to change this shirt.” He then turns to his wife and says “how could you have left the coffee so close to the edge of the table!”. He storms upstairs to change his shirt leaving behind a daughter in tears and an angry wife.

He is now leaving home 5 minutes later and the traffic is terrible. Sally is in the back of the car and totally ignoring him. He drops her to school where she is now late and pissed off. He reaches work angry and his boss says “lets review that important document we need to deliver today”… John has left it at home in the rush. He had left it out on the table to do a final review first thing in the morning, but the chaos at home meant that he rushed out without picking it up. His boss is frustrated because this is an important opportunity and John has to return home to pick up the document.

That night the house is a tense angry situation with nobody talking to each other…

Scenario 2)

Sally spills the coffee and looks shocked and concerned. John looks at his shirt, pauses, and looks at his daughter “Oh no I will have to change this shirt. Don’t worry, I have another one upstairs. You need to be a little bit more careful, but its only a shirt”. John hugs Sally and goes and changes his shirt. John comes downstairs to find his wife is going to take their daughter to school and he has 10 minutes to review his document. He makes a couple of good notes and gets in his car. There is traffic, but he is focussed on the way he will present the document to his boss and practices the presentation out loud in the car. He arrives at work, enters bosses office, delivers a well thought through presentation. That night he reaches the house and everybody is sitting at dinner sharing their day.

Two different scenarios began the same but ended very different. They ended different not because of 1) or 2) or 3) or 4)… but 5) how John chose to react to something that happened to him.

10% of life is stuff that happens to you. 90% depends on your choice of reaction to what has happened to you.
Yep. Like this story:

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016

The 90/10 Rule

Scenario 1)

Scenario 2)

I see, yeah I already do that.

I thought he meant something different when he said "turn expectation into appreciation".

D

Deleted50669

I have to say, keeping this in mind definitely made my day brighter. Even though I'm surrounded by negativity I was able to remain positive by viewing others as "value targets" to help instead of as "sources of negativity" to draw from.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Is me giving you that info, going to help you in your life?

(serious question, because i can't see it making a difference, however, if my time taken writing that out will help you, then it is worth it for me)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Lots of negative expectations today... but I remembered this thread, and changed one thought into appreciation. It worked!

Gotta keep at it.

The problem is most present for most people who have been in any kind of relationships for a good period of time. Most men and women I know, just don't want to admit it. It is easier to just fix it in our professional lives where we are unattached emotionally. You expect a lot both large and small from your significant other, most of which you don't even realize. And I have seen a lot change over to this, only to switch out of it since the other person also didn't "get it".

There is nothing wrong with it, its pretty normal. But being normal doesn't have to mean permanent.

I am guilty of this even myself over the years. It takes a very willed and smart person to be able to point the finger back inward. Which is why it is valuable here, the folks that read this forum are all intelligent enough and willed enough to do this. They just need to start small and never stop.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Is me giving you that info, going to help you in your life?

(serious question, because i can't see it making a difference, however, if my time taken writing that out will help you, then it is worth it for me)
If I see how it has made a difference in your life I would obviously be more driven to make this a habit.

In the OP you told us the what but not the why. You can keep it short if you're worried about wasting time.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
If I see how it has made a difference in your life I would obviously be more driven to make this a habit.

In the OP you told us the what but not the why. You can keep it short if you're worried about wasting time.

Ok i'll consolidate what I think is most applicable.

A lot of the effect this has is re-shaping your perspective on the world from one of taking to one of giving.

Have you ever been in an argument that was unnecessary and you apologized to the person and were annoyed they didn't also apologize? This is an easy one that is on the top of my head.

For me, I would do this, it would grind me up. Until I realized that like charity, the biggest benefit to my health is the giving and knowing that I have made myself right, and I can not control things outside of that. So if my emotion is staked on that person being in the same mental state and also apologizing, im going to lose quite a bit.

However, If i stake my emotions on what I can control, myself, and appreciate that whatever happened is now over and I can move on, then all I can do is say my apologies and feel good that i sorted out what i could and move forward.

Like I said, this is a very minor example. But imagine you stack these in the tens for a day. How does your day look now? Are you worse off or better?

For me, it was better everyday. I stopped focusing so much on what everyone and everything owed me or whether things were even and just. I appreciate the situations and things that come up, i appreciate the people I know and the opportunities that pass me by, and nowadays i try to provide back instantly with that feedback loop by telling people i appreciate them or mentioning i appreciate the opportunity or situation.

This better prepares my mind for the next thing because I am in a state of abundance and not scarcity.

Hopefully this paints a decent picture, not totally clicking on explanations this morning.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Ok i'll consolidate what I think is most applicable.

A lot of the effect this has is re-shaping your perspective on the world from one of taking to one of giving.

Have you ever been in an argument that was unnecessary and you apologized to the person and were annoyed they didn't also apologize? This is an easy one that is on the top of my head.

For me, I would do this, it would grind me up. Until I realized that like charity, the biggest benefit to my health is the giving and knowing that I have made myself right, and I can not control things outside of that. So if my emotion is staked on that person being in the same mental state and also apologizing, im going to lose quite a bit.

However, If i stake my emotions on what I can control, myself, and appreciate that whatever happened is now over and I can move on, then all I can do is say my apologies and feel good that i sorted out what i could and move forward.

Like I said, this is a very minor example. But imagine you stack these in the tens for a day. How does your day look now? Are you worse off or better?

For me, it was better everyday. I stopped focusing so much on what everyone and everything owed me or whether things were even and just. I appreciate the situations and things that come up, i appreciate the people I know and the opportunities that pass me by, and nowadays i try to provide back instantly with that feedback loop by telling people i appreciate them or mentioning i appreciate the opportunity or situation.

This better prepares my mind for the next thing because I am in a state of abundance and not scarcity.

Hopefully this paints a decent picture, not totally clicking on explanations this morning.
It does, thank you. It makes sense to me, you can't have a great life if your happiness depends on things outside your control so do your best to do what you can and be content, that's how I understood it.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Such good preaching from a clown... a really creepy clown...

The rule of 10/90

Your reaction is like a clown ... you are a really creepy clown .... without any respect and value.

From the height of your infinite wisdom you have chosen the best reaction in front of this thread: of exceptional value. Thank you

But it is very interesting the reaction of some persons that liked this may be for your reputation in this forum.
No comment.

I propose to put your sweet feedback in the landfill.

That's the right place for this your post.

I am very happy for my reaction directly from my soul (90/10) and today for this i will be sure to help you to see the right clown in the right place : THE CIRCUS.

Dear Friend ... value is value!!

Today with my reaction in my control I'm sure to have changed my life to the best and yours too.

A person as important as you will surely laugh at it with a bit of self-humor.

Have a nice day with self humor and smile.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The rule of 10/90

Your reaction is like a clown ... you are a really creepy clown .... without any respect and value.

From the height of your infinite wisdom you have chosen the best reaction in front of this thread: of exceptional value. Thank you

But it is very interesting the reaction of some persons that liked this may be for your reputation in this forum.
No comment.

I am very happy for my reaction directly from my soul (90/10) and today for this i will be sure to help you to see the right clown in the right place : THE CIRCUS.

Today with my reaction in my control I'm sure to have changed my life to the best and yours too.

@SteveO and I know each other, his reply was in jest. No worries!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The rule of 10/90

No comment.

Ha! I was complementing his message. And then giving him grief for his choice of avatar.

Many of us on this forum have known each other for years. That is how we show each other love. :)

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
The rule of 10/90

No comment.

You're not wrong.

@Steve O is creepy af..... ;)

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Hmmm, so Steeefen has begun rallying the troops to ensure a meetup next year? :hilarious:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I appreciate his post.
Wasn’t expecting it from you.