The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hey guys questioning college. Check this out!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Too bad you can't get a degree for free...

I think the Internet makes learning so much more accessible to people who normally wouldn't even set foot in a university campus. There's no excuse for pursuing knowledge.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

I think the Internet makes learning so much more accessible to people who normally wouldn't even set foot in a university campus. There's no excuse for pursuing knowledge.

The Brick and Mortar University system is so inefficient. Walking into a big a$$ lecture hall to hear some guy speak and regurgitate what the textbook says is almost insane. Imagine how much cheaper college would be if students learned online while the professor speaks through the computer and students can interact on a forum. In this day and age with cheap computers and high speed internet there is really no excuse why you can't learn through the internet for cheap or even free.

If they would just let free markets take over we wouldn't have this massive student debt crisis IMO. There is no doubt you can get a college quality education online for FREE. But the problem is you can't get a degree for doing that. This is why I think we should let people TEST for degrees. Kinda like the SATs. You self study or sign up for a cheap online class and then you take an accredited examination which awards you a degree.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Totally agree about testing for degrees. Maybe not in healthcare though.

Make it free and I would go test for my MBA. Lol

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
lol

I want to get a degree from the same college where Bill Gates got his. And Michael Dell. And many others.... the public and the market do not really care where the CEO or company owner graduated from. They care about the product and service the company provides.

But, thanks to the mob mentality of Ivy League education, we have a great education bubble in your hands.

You can keep the degree, I will take the knowledge. And no school debt after it.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I'm doing an online degree program. Western Governors University. Sure it doesn't hold the same prestige as some of the other locations I could of piled up a mountain of debt to attend, but I feel like I'm learning just as much, if not more.
This is why I think we should let people TEST for degrees. Kinda like the SATs. You self study or sign up for a cheap online class and then you take an accredited examination which awards you a degree.
It's "competency" based, so I can go at my own pace, which happens to be really fast. ;) I agree that this kind of education is the wave of the future. More freedom, no housing costs, less overhead, the list goes on. I think the same can be said for employment as well. Telecommuting is going to quickly take over for lean start ups looking to avoid overhead and an employee preferring to avoid rising gas prices. Maybe there's a need in here somewhere?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, remember, the 'prestige' of the fancy schools is who you sit next to in class.... and who you drink beer with.

It is usually not the education. 2x2 = 4 in any college.

The thing is, who you get to meet there?

You can see these rich guys with a huge college ring that they never take off.

It is being part of that social club.

Knowledge? you get that on your own anywhere these days...

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
the public and the market do not really care where the CEO or company owner graduated from. They care about the product and service the company provide

And the truth is employers don't give a shit where you got your degree. They only care if you can fit in and do the job right. It's just like what MJ says: the universe doesn't give a shit. A lot of these people that try to get into these top IVY schools think having a degree from these schools is somehow gonna make them successful. It's not what you know that makes you money its what you do with what you know to create value.

But, thanks to the mob mentality of Ivy League education, we have a great education bubble in your hands.

A lot of these kids that go into these IVY schools have a silver spoon rammed up their rear. They went to high school at a prestigious private academy(like mark zuck from facebook and bill gates) before going to the prestigious university. 90% of the kids that go to these private academies go on to an IVY league. These days a bachelors degree is the new high school degree lmao.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well, I think I'd rather say I studied a few entrepreneurial business classes at Stanford than tell someone I got a degree from Jarvis Jr. Community College. Or an MBA from Devry. Just saying.

I already have a degree from Baylor.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well, I think I'd rather say I studied a few entrepreneurial business classes at Stanford than tell someone I got a degree from Jarvis Jr. Community College. Just saying

Me too. The cool thing about community college is you can go there for 2 years and transfer to Stanford and end up paying half the price for your degree. But most kids decide to go straight to the university right out of high school. But the huge downside to these schools is the cost. I was gonna go to USC; my dream school. But i missed the financial aid deadline and instead went to community college for the mean time. That turned out to be the best thing that has ever happened to me despite what a tragedy it felt like at that moment. I'm gonna be able to graduate debt free from a state uni.

The cool thing about Stanford and these prestigious schools is that you CAN take the classes even though you are NOT a student. YUP you can walk right into the school campus, sit in a classroom and listen to the class. You won't get credit but you will learn; which is what really matters and for FREE. I signed up for that entrepreneur class online at stanford.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think I'd rather say I studied a few entrepreneurial business classes at Stanford than tell someone I got a degree from Jarvis Jr. Community College. Or an MBA from Devry. Just saying.
lol kak, that is so you....

By the way, your posts are getting repeated, one after the other... I've seen it twice today. You may want to check your connectivity.

orinoco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 30, 2012
New Zealand
That might work for many subjects, but not science (including anything health related).

I gained my degree nearly 20 years ago now, when they actually taught you to think. Now here in NZ the quality has deteriorated as we introduced a market / business ideology to tertiary education. Universities are focussed on getting as many students in as possible to maximise revenue, and to pass as many as possible to again maximise revenue. Because students are now paying so much for their education they expect to pass, simply because they paid all that $$.

It's turned into a churn 'em out machine.

It used to be restricted entry based upon academic results from high school, we used to have "university entrance" exams. Fees used to be token. Now we have less focus on academic ability and fees are astronomical.

You can't do 3 hour science labs online. It's hands on, you have to learn how to handle the equipment, stuff like making slides is a learned skill you have to do in the lab.

I know that a uni degree will keep you in the slow lane, but I would never regret the 3 fun years I had and I have always valued the knowledge and critical thinking skills I learned doing a science degree.

I'm hugely biased I know (being a science geek and all) but I do think that the low level of scientific literacy is a worry. If we are to understand things like GMOs and climate science it really would help if we had a better understanding of actual science and how it works.

Robert_R

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Jun 8, 2017
New Mexico
I'm doing an online degree program. Western Governors University. Sure it doesn't hold the same prestige as some of the other locations I could of piled up a mountain of debt to attend, but I feel like I'm learning just as much, if not more.
It's "competency" based, so I can go at my own pace, which happens to be really fast. ;) I agree that this kind of education is the wave of the future. More freedom, no housing costs, less overhead, the list goes on. I think the same can be said for employment as well. Telecommuting is going to quickly take over for lean start ups looking to avoid overhead and an employee preferring to avoid rising gas prices. Maybe there's a need in here somewhere?

Kak, How did WGU workout for you?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.