• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Progress Thread Here I go...

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by B. Cole, Nov 19, 2017.

1. B. Cole

B. Cole Kyle's money Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Before I start, I want to thank every single other progress thread on this forum, and the forum in general for keeping me engaged and inspired as I digest this complete foreign world of entrepreneurship. I owe inspiration to each of you, and only walk this path because @MJDemarco brought us all here together to learn where the path even is.

Having been a custom fabricator for much of my life, inventing will naturally be my fastlane. Woodworking and custom cabinetmaking has given me a pretty sharp design mindset. Keeping housewives happy bringing their ideas to life and making what they want fit in their home helped me realize that there is a solution for every circumstance, I've figured out how to make more custom shit work in a space they didn't have than one could imagine. My strength was stuff that nobody else wanted to figure out. I'm taking that frame of mind, finding problems that I face with my own homeownership and putting solutions for them on the market.

I've been simmering all summer over a pretty nasty issue that some homeowners face, and have come up with a solution that has an ecological aspect to it. Several attempts on the market have completely missed the mark, it's a 3 fold problem that none of the current products solve simultaneously.

I made a very ragged prototype from Home Depot acrylic sheet. It did work, but was full of flaws and for all intents and purposes, gave me an object that would change form about 3 times in my head over the next several months. I now need to plant a guilt tree in my yard to compensate for the graph paper i destroyed up to this point.

Did some serious patent and market searching, refined conceptual drawings, scale drawings, and finally last week arrived at the USPTO site. 4 days of hour long calls to their electronic business help line, a half pack of printer paper, a couple of timed out complete rewrites and 8 BC powders to stave off screen glow retina burn induced headaches later, I am the proud mother (father) of a set of drawings and a description for which a provisional patent application has been filed. The final product will be an injection molded, single piece plastic shell of sorts, about the size of a plastic lawn chair with no legs.

Admittedly from this point I am frigging lost, but with my fastlane forum flashlight in hand, have realized that my next steps are basically get people on board that can help me realize my drawings. I have been narrowing down a list of manufacturers, and to keep things rolling while I work my slowlane job to remain housed (I like sleeping indoors) I identified the following criteria:

- Factory must be within a sane diving distance so I can visit frequently and participate
    - Factory must have design/CAD capabilities
    - Factory must be capable of rapid prototyping
    - Factory must have tooling/mold making capabilities in house
    - Factory must be capable and willing of small and large production runs
    - Bonus if they can label, package and distribute
    - Bonus if they have facilities overseas and can transfer production to supply other markets or gain better pricing.

I really want to keep it domestic at first with as much as possible under one roof for continuity as I learn with my first product. I'll be calling my top 3 tomorrow to feel them out, and hopefully begin to understand how much this item could cost. My initial instinct is to attempt a licensing deal for the product, but we'll see where the road takes me. I say this mostly because I'm not ready to quit my job and go homeless trying to build a product based business just yet. Marketing, web design, validation and tech stuff is all an alien language to me. I have reached out to several successful inventors in my area in hopes of initiating conversation and hopefully learning something from them. I'll let you know how that goes, not much response so far.

Like most, I have several ideas spawning from the first, and see myself trending toward solving issues with human encroachment on the natural environment. Many questions and progress posts to follow!

Arun Siva, TKRR, SinisterLex and 2 others like this.
  2. ruzara5

ruzara5 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $257
    This sounds interesting. Action taking event. Sounds like your initial market in previous paragraph hinted at women and something like a kitchen area? This will be interesting. Off to pass the start. Patents pending can be helpful.

B. Cole likes this.
  3. D.Davis

D.Davis Ingeninja Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $215
    Following

B. Cole and ruzara5 like this.
  4. Puppy

Puppy Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $335
    Great read. I like that its full of actions taken and a finished result ready for the next step. Inspiring! This is how I want mine to read.

B. Cole and ruzara5 like this.
  5. B. Cole

B. Cole Kyle's money Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Quick update on Operation Find-a-Factory:

Factory 1 - Left a message, they called me back. Learned quickly to verify if they have the equipment that can handle the size of the part first, I wasted some of his time and mine before we both figured out they didn't have big enough machinery. They could not, but the guy was super helpful anyway and even though there was nothing in it for him, he emailed me some other places, including an American owned factory in China that he dealt with a lot and a larger facility in SC that makes parts for Little Tykes. Shoutout to Art @ Klann Plastics, you were more than helpful and didn't get a damn thing for it.

Factory 2 - Customer service and the Engineer I spoke with were awesome. They have prototyping, mold making and manufacturing abilities plenty big for my item, and were able to roughly price the different steps for me. Mold price would be nearly $50K, but he said they could manage a bid to China for a quality mold w/ American and German materials for about 1/3 the cost. Went a little more in detail over processes, and estimated prototyping to cost about $200 for the first unit off the stereolithographicalafaragathingy (Sp?), and estimated that after the mold was installed they could spit out my item every 40-60 seconds, around the clock.

Factory 3 - Couldn't handle the size or keep all of the processes in house. Engineer sounded a little stressed out explaining things, but we did go over options of vacuum forming, welding the plastic parts together and tooling to get it within his factory's capabilities. He did give me a good suggestion on material types.

Factory 4 - Excellent customer service and very helpful in gauging the amount of plastic the item would take, but ultimately couldn't handle the size of the item.

Take-away: Obviously $50K for a mold is going to hurt. Actually make impossible right now. I intended to do some crowdfunding or seeking investors eventually, so this is earmarked as probably the biggest obstacle to overcome. I like Factory 2, but will at least approach the American owned facility in China before I make final my decision. I really want to keep domestic and be able to visit my factory, but I won't let this preference render the business impossible. The product must go on!

Also learned after talking to them, there are a lot of other facilities that I haven't been able to find on Google or ThomasNet. I don't want to look forever, but I owe myself a little more hunting before I decide. Emphasis on getting my drawings into CAD and getting prototypes first I reckon. This week's goal is to hunt, decide and either be visiting a manufacturer physically on Monday (my slowlane job allows me to have my life back on Mondays), or be communicating and sending information/working with a remote facility on Monday. More to come-

TKRR, ruzara5, Puppy and 1 other person like this.
  6. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Factory #2 selected. After business hours right now (thanks for making this happen slowlane job), calling them in the morning to set up a tour and to get them pregnant with product numero uno. 3 hour drive from the house. Excited AF...

AF I tell you.

China factory will likely make the mold and ship to this place for manufacturing, IF I don't end up licensing before greed sets in (picturing myself standing at the end of a production line with my foot on a box like Captain Morgan). I'm getting more comfortable with doing my own thing vs. licensing by the day.

In my head, the product is globally useful. Still hunting for a decent patent attorney locally to talk through this issue. Google searching reveals heavy concentrations of households that could benefit from this genius in other countries. Not sure if the markets in other nations would support good ole American manufacturing prices. Will have to work on that.

Puppy and ruzara5 like this.
  7. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Mini update - Finalized representation today, large national firm with a local office specializing in IP and licensing litigation. They're on it.

ruzara5 likes this.
  8. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Happy Monday after everyone. People are finally back to work from Thanksgiving!

Got the manufacturer getting my product into SolidWorks, should hear back toward the end of the week to meet on it, make changes and hopefully move toward printing prototypes.

Side note - Thanks @Donna_Lee for the conversation and advice. Highly recommend anyone on this path watch the InventRight videos from @StephenKey. A metric :shit: - ton of info, I learned a lot between this forum and InventRight. Will update again on prototype status, meanwhile working on marketing material and landing page.

ruzara5 likes this.
  9. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Happy Tuesday Fastlaners-

Stoked to be on the calendar in the morning for a facility visit with the guys that are working on my prototype. We’re meeting over some changes to the design, and for my first tour of their facility. I did receive the PPA paperwork back this week from the USPTO, all good. Ready to get a printed prototype, weeks starting to feel like months, need people to mooooooove. Need that prototype to play with and photograph.

3 hour road trip, busting out of the driveway at 6am.

ruzara5 likes this.
  10. B. Cole

Rep Bank:
    $558
    Happy hump day Fastlaners. Back at headquarters, factory tour was awesome.

They conveyed that they are backed up until January on design work, I told them to pencil me in hard for January 1 and I’ll keep bugging them :playful:. The manufacturing floor is impressive, they have presses ranging from 40 ton to 850 ton and a huge amount of stuff in the warehouse, running 3 shifts 24 hours a day. They do work for Stanley (tool box parts, razor knife parts and a bunch more stuff) and a lot of plastic filtration components. They also crank out a million (no shit really a million, that’s the annual order) 1 gallon breathable buckets every spring for a huge strawberry farm, and a lot of plastic products for the Vector Control industry.

I did manage to knock out the main design issues with them concerning undercuts and areas where there could be flow issues. I’ll be making changes and getting new drawings to them as we lead up to January so their first rendition in Solidworks is as close as possible to the final. Still meeting with legal on the 13th, I’ll get their opinion on whether I should PPA the changes, or just hold off until final draft and put it all in the non-provisional.

Meaaaaanwhile, 3 or 4 other products are documented for future execution. Funny are the problems you come up with that there are no solutions for, when your mentality shifts to looking for problems as an opportunity. One is a biodegradable cloth product, and another is possibly ceramic. That should be fun.

ruzara5 likes this.
  11. ruzara5

ruzara5 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $257
    That is the endless river of ideas. Just like better mousetraps. Or the lily in the field. Connections made. Right on.