The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help: The Ethics of Fluff

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all!

Currently in the process of writing an ebook - and it seems to be coming out a lot shorter than I had envisioned. How could this be?

In order to provide contrast to where I am today - I begin by telling the reader a bit about my unattractive, socially awkward personal history. However, I feel like this got pretty well encompassed in a matter of paragraphs!

I find it unethical to waste the time of my customers. They are going to buy my eBook with the intent of learning something.

How do I build and expand throughout my book without adding in too much "fluff"?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Now this is just guessing, but I bet you have given the reader the facts without any story or adventure, or like jazz hands.

MJ could have told us he was a chubby kid who liked cars but didn't have much luck in business for ages.

But he didn't. He told us the story. People love stories. It helps the reader connect, and naturally people see the lessons within stories, usually without even needing them pointing out.

That ain't fluff, it's just good writing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not a fan of "fluff" which implies embellishment -- but I am a fan of telling your story so your readers can identify with you, and your objective.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Your personal unique story can serve as a barrier to entry.
Most books suck because they are boiler room pitch crap, sounding safe and sound, but just filled with stuff that doesn't change my life or even open my eyes wider due to amazing relevance to my needs and interests.
If your story is not only relevant, but different and special, something I have never heard before, I'm a game customer.
It works the same for business too. 'Me too' businesses make 'me too' incomes. Businesses that copy every Tom, Dick and Harry or Jones will go to crap because there is nothing new, nothing original, nothing different or outstanding about them.

Look at these stories:
Robert Kiyosaki: Rich dad and poor dad story
Richard Branson's Losing my Virginity: Being a virgin in business
MJ's TMF : Love for fast cars and speed linked with gaining wealth fast. Lots of fast car diatribes all over TMF .
Mark Cuban's Winning at the sport of business: He uses a lot of phrases like 'work hard as if someone will take everything from you' or 'you only need to win once' are synonymous with actual games. He made his life like a game to win. He did sales, made businesses from scratch and lived like a spartan to prepare to fight in his game.

Furthermore, most people would rather READ processes than DO processes, because reading is easier than doing, obviously. And generally people do not like their past processes of life...that is why they will read books with better journeys of success and fulfillment that are not theirs. It's like watching drama television...watching lives that aren't ours.;)

You might have struck a goldmine here.:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::bicep:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I'll be keeping this in mind! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.