The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

*Help* Need to accept international ACH payments

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I need to process international ACH payments.

Anyone know how to do this?

edit: I need to process payments from other people paying me.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Xavier X

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Are you trying to accept or process (send)?

If you're accepting, you just need to provide them your bank details.
If you are trying to send money to someone's foreign bank account, your best option is to use a service like WorldRemit or Transferwise. I use both of these. WorldRemit is instant deposits to foreign account. Transferwise is very slightly cheaper, but takes a few hours, and on the weekends could take a few days.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Are you trying to accept or process (send)?

If you're accepting, you just need to provide them your bank details.
If you are trying to send money to someone's foreign bank account, your best option is to use a service like WorldRemit or Transferwise. I use both of these. WorldRemit is instant deposits to foreign account. Transferwise is very slightly cheaper, but takes a few hours, and on the weekends could take a few days.
accept payments from other people. They bank with Revolut.

Xavier X

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
In that case, you're just providing them with your bank details. They should tell you what they need. Account number, name, type, routing number, swift code etc. Depending on how their bank processes things, they might do it as a cross-border ACH or wire transfer. All depends.

Keep in mind, if they process it as a wire transfer, you'll get hit with higher fees.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
In that case, you're just providing them with your bank details. They should tell you what they need. Account number, name, type, routing number, swift code etc. Depending on how their bank processes things, they might do it as a cross-border ACH or wire transfer. All depends.

Keep in mind, if they process it as a wire transfer, you'll get hit with higher fees.
Like which payment processor will let me send them an invoice where they can enter in their own info and pay via bank transfer? I can do this already domestically via quickbooks, hosuecall pro, and many other applications. Just which ones will let me do this for international transfers?

SamRussell

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You can give them your details and they can pay you from their online banking.

Or do a wire transfer (MoneyGram etc)

if it’s something more automated, accepting international cards via stripe might be better

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 13, 2014
Malta
TransferWise is fantastic. I bank in USD and my personal bills are all in EUR, so I use TransferWise to make the payments. Fees for paying the rent each month are less than ten dollars...and it's still quicker than a 3 day domestic ACH transfer.

For international business payments, I provide both wire & ACH payment details and recommend clients use TransferWise as it saves them money. Usually they do and then become TransferWise converts soon after. I suspect you'll get a lot more mileage out of this if you receive large payments from a handful of clients vs. dozens/hundreds of smaller transactions.

George Appiah

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Like which payment processor will let me send them an invoice where they can enter in their own info and pay via bank transfer? I can do this already domestically via quickbooks, hosuecall pro, and many other applications. Just which ones will let me do this for international transfers?
International is a whole different beast. And if the money involved is substantial or coming from a corporation, the paying entity may have their own policies and processes to make cross-border payments.

Wire transfer and XB-ACH are pretty much universal, and, again, if the amount is substantial or coming from a corporation, the payer may have manual approval processes involved making the use of automated online services like TransferWise impossible.

And depending on which country the payer is in, TransferWise may not be available at all or very expensive and totally pointless (I experienced this recently: TransferWise wouldn't allow me to pay via credit card or PayPal: the only option I had to send funds to them was wire transfer... which defeats the purpose!)

Your sole goal should be to get paid; you shouldn't worry about how the payment will be done... unless the paying entity specifically asks if you can accept a particular payment option.

So simply send an invoice (any invoice, even paper invoice!), along with your wire transfer or XB-ACH details (get this from your bank if you don't know). And be sure to specify who is paying the wire transfer or XB-ACH fees: OUR, BEN, or SHA?

OUR instruction means sender pays all transfer charges. You will receive the full invoiced amount.

SHA (shared) means sender only pays their bank's outgoing transfer charge. You will receive your payment minus your bank's fees (if any) and the charges of any correspondent banks.

BEN (beneficiary) means sender pays no charge. You will pay all charges, including the sender's bank's charge.

Last edited:

Ravens_Shadow

one foot in front of the other
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 2, 2012
Cary, NC
I use transferwise for international payments via ACH.

Kid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2016
I will just echo what some other said. You give them your bank account number and Swift code. This might be the most costly option but is most straightforward.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Just go to your bank and get the info and check on the fees. I have considered getting a separate bank account just for international clients to reduce the amount of fees. I guess it just depends on the math for you and the bill size they are paying versus your bank fees.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Just go to your bank and get the info and check on the fees. I have considered getting a separate bank account just for international clients to reduce the amount of fees. I guess it just depends on the math for you and the bill size they are paying versus your bank fees.
Okay, that’s an option.

Is there no way for me to do it manually on my end?
For example, my lawn care business collects card numbers so we’re in control and we can run them each month, instead of sending an invoice and saying “please pay”.
Is there a processor that will allow us to manually pull the money out if we have their banking information or do they have to wire it?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I need to process international ACH payments.

Anyone know how to do this?

edit: I need to process payments from other people paying me.
Can you even send ACH internationally? Doesn't everywhere else use IBAN?

accept payments from other people. They bank with Revolut.
Have you considered signing up with revolut? I use it, was quick and easy enough to set up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom