The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help Me Save Parents' Restaurant - Opened, ZERO Customers

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
So my parents overpaid HEAVILY on a restaurant (600k+ for a projected ROI of 12.5k-20k/year, I kid you not), just opened, and there's been absolutely zero customers on the first shift - maitre d'h said this was the first time it's ever happened in his career.

So obviously the solution is quite alarming (even if they're still on their little cloud and very optimistic). I think the lack of customers is probably because they haven't done any marketing because they don't know what/how to do it, so I thought I could help out in that regard. I've googled for ways to market/advertise but I figured I'd rather ask experienced people for help than read generic articles without real substance.

So yeah, if any of you who know the restaurant business well could give me tips or article/video/book recommendations I'd truly be grateful. (Concept is Asian fine dining, if that matters)

Thank you so much !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
a little more info would help.

location of restaurant, type of restaurant, changes they made since the bought........

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your parents done goofed. It's OK, people make mistakes.

No matter how you stack it, they're going to have to spend huge money on marketing. Restaurants are absolutely not Fastlane businesses and with those margins, scale is impossible. They are travelling a one-lane road to nowhere.

I'm not going to say that they can't make an income out of it. They might be able to salvage it, but with those numbers and with ZERO customers on opening day... eurgh. The situation doesn't look good. I'd say jump ship, but that's just me.

Good luck to you and your parents.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Okay

It's a small restaurant (about 33 seats), Asian fine dining. Located in an upscale neighbourhood in Paris, area around is pretty much filled with restaurants and their restaurant is on a side which is not very crowded - people usually come from the other side of the area so they stop by the other restaurants. Close to a subway station though (1 minute walk), but the walk is uphill so there's not that much "traffic" from what I've seen.

They spent more than 150k as far as I know to remodel it (paid one company, who ditched them so they had to hire another company to finish the job - obviously the second company charged as much as it could. All the while restaurant was closed, so that's opportunity cost)

I know they f*cked up, that's why I need help on how to bring customers to salvage it :p

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Okay

It's a small restaurant (about 33 seats), Asian fine dining. Located in an upscale neighbourhood in Paris, area around is pretty much filled with restaurants and their restaurant is on a side which is not very crowded - people usually come from the other side of the area so they stop by the other restaurants. Close to a subway station though (1 minute walk).

They spent more than 150k as far as I know to remodel it (paid one company, who ditched them so they had to hire another company to finish the job - obviously the second company charged as much as it could. All the while restaurant was closed, so that's opportunity cost)

Asian fine dining? That's really odd that there were zero customers. But I guess Paris is different from NYC. In Manhattan, even though there's an Asian restaurant on every corner, when a new one opens up there are always people wanting to try it.

I think they probably messed up on the location.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ouch. sorry, do not know paris, asian fine dining or paris :)

good luck to your parents. marketing the reopening is your best bet.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Where in Paris? Is it a touristy area or more neighborhood like Suresnes? Located near La Defense? There may be an opportunity to target oil companies and their business associates on trips. Total, Saipem, Acergy, they're all there. If the restaurant is located somewhere convenient to taking clients to dinner I'd be happy to pass to word to some of my clients that live and work there.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How can you leverage the traffic from the subway station?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
There are a million ways to make this work. Some easy, some not so easy. Some expensive, some not expensive.

Maybe signage is bad, maybe no one knows you are there, etc..

Here are just some cheap if not free, easy thoughts off my head.

1. Create a sample something and some flyers and go to every business in the immediate area and let them try the sample and say hey we just opened and if you get a chance could you please come down and try us out.

2. Get on the phone, Find a Charity, Ask them if you could have a charity week for them, anyone who comes in that week with a flyer from the charity, 25% goes to the charity. Ask if they will send out to their givers list for you, to get the word out.

3. Call the local news station and see if you can get on with your amazing food on a local morning show. Tell them you have a special something that their viewers would be interested in.

4. Go to your bank and say hey we bank here our account is at zero.. If you could tell the staff that we are open, going, and absolutely amazing. Then our account won't be at zero anymore. Explain how that is a win win for both of you.

5. If the charities say no to the week deal, ask if any golf outings are coming up and ask if you can give a $100 Gift card for the closest to the hole, or hole in one. etc. if not, ask if they have any auctions coming up, etc..

6. Pray.. that your biz catches on.

7. Run 3 miles in the morning.. won't help business but will give you time to think and not stress so much during the day.

8. Hook up with a local car dealer and tell them on their TV commercials if they can give away a free dinner to your restaurant for the first 20 people buying cars. Even though this will cost you money. Being on TV is the thing.. Try to have them film the commercial at your restaurant.

9. Jazzercise - I am really pulling straws at this point.

10. Call up the 100 biggest business men and politicians in town and say hey, we just opened I am trying to drum up some business will you come down and give us a try. Most will say yes. Why not.

If I had more than 5 minutes I could probably come up with more.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Buy some business cards.

I would go to Vistaprint.fr, have them make 250 free regular business cards and then 250 free cards with advertising on it. Just put like "Bring this card in for 10% off of your first meal!" and put your location's address on it. I don't even try to make it look like a business card, since I don't have to.

I've done this like 3 times now, so I know that it works. You just have to create a new account each time. Vistaprint doesn't care because they still break even after shipping. That would probably cost you like 10 euros for shipping and the cards are free.

Then I would go to the entrance of the subway station and I would hand them out to people exiting the station and point them towards your restaurant. It might not be the most effective way, but for 10 euros and an hour's worth of your time (if that), I think it would be worth it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The big question is... is the food any good? If the food is good, they can get traction, but if the food sucks all the customers you bring in will be one time customers and that will ultimately fail.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
-Are you near a c_sino? If so, then head out to the c_sino. Target the b_ccarat tables. Also focus on r_ulette, p_ker, p_w gai (can't spell it) and some of the other asian games.

-Again, if you are by a c_sino then try to strike up a partnership with the c_sino.

-Are you by hotels? Get your menus in the hotels. This type of restaurant may attract business people who are on trips.

-Are you by an airport or sub-way? Can you get adspace that directs people to the restaurant.

-Can't you use 4 square and other social network applications? Give away coupons?

-Read "Start With Why" - also target white people.

-The high-end Asian restaurant by me runs promotions for things like "The Year of the Dragon" - not even sure what that is.

-Worse comes to worse turn it into a Ninja themed restaurant. There is a Ninja place up in NY. They throw things at you as you walk in and they have guys jumping from the ceiling. Crazy

Goodluck I hope that everything works out for your parents!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The c@sino idea is brilliant. Target hotels, too, if you can.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
The c@sino idea is brilliant. Target hotels, too, if you can.

Just for conversation, why do you think the C@sino idea is Brilliant?

Personally I think both the hotel and c_sino Idea are horrible. No Disrespect to the poster..

In the restaurant biz, the money is made by the regulars. if you have great food and you want to grow a business.

If you are mucking around for the tourist trade, then you always have to keep advertising, keep promoting, keep running specials. Always.

This is a 33 seat place. If the food is great, should not be to hard to pack the place everyday.

BTW: Do not offer any discount. Ever.. Only as a last of the last resort. AT 33 seats.. no need to.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Personally I think both the hotel and c_sino Idea are horrible. No Disrespect to the poster..

none taken. Although the c@asinos often provide 'regulars'. The majority of b@ccarat players are Asian, and few are tourists. Just an idea, I don't know a thing abut the restaurant business, or how to promote it.

However, if it were my business - I would look to get profitable fast and work on the brand as the profits roll in. It's a business. No time for bullshitting around.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I am not an expert but like biophase said it is very very very important that the restaurant has GREAT food and also maybe some kind of remarkable branding like johnp said. All the marketing in the word will be kinda worthless of your customers won't be coming back and talking about your restaurant with friends! Getting mouth to mouth promotion is the KEY!

I would also read all the books about local marketing you can find if you have the time!

edit: I also want to add that networking could help a lot in the long run. Nothing to important right now but if you parents will start networking and making a lot of contacts in paris it should be also worth a lot imo.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
look at your restaurant as a profit center, NOT 33 dine-in seats. Offer corporate lunches, catering for parties etc....You will grab some of those customers as regular dine-ins as well. Get out and promote for all types of functions. Make an easy ordering app for lunches for offices etc...good old paper order form over the fax machine still works well for offices. Workers pass it around and recruit others for a group order. You could easily get one day a week rotation in most offices. or have them put in an order ahead of time for take-out for on the way home. Don't limit yourself to drawing 33 butts in your seats only.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
is the food any good?

Probably the most important question in the entire thread and it took multiple posts for someone to finally say it.

The best marketing is a great product.

Think about it...

For those of you here who read my book ... how many read it because of my marketing ability? You found it via a paid advertisement? Or, did you find it by word-of-mouth? Or a positive review posted on Amazon or some other source? Or because you read a "free sample" and liked what you read?

These are product oriented approaches.

While marketing is required, the ultimate driver of success needs to be the product as it holds the key to creating and building momentum.

If the food is no good, you're essentially sailing on leaky boat that is taking on water and trying to drain it with an 8 oz cup.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
How long has this place been open? If it just opened and you have no customers, it's a marketing problem. But for sure, if the food isn't good you'll be fighting a losing battle.

Have your parents ever operated a restaurant before? Have they worked in one? A $600k investment is not the time to say "Chuck it, let's give it a go and hope for the best". Gordon Ramsey built an entire show around people who are woefully unfit to run a restaurant - I hope your parents do not fit this description. If they do, they better come to terms with it immediately and bring in someone who does know how to run a profitable restaurant and hand him the reins while they get tutored.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Probably the most important question in the entire thread and it took multiple posts for someone to finally say it.

The best marketing is a great product.

Think about it...

For those of you here who read my book ... how many read it because of my marketing ability? You found it via a paid advertisement? Or, did you find it by word-of-mouth? Or a positive review posted on Amazon or some other source? Or because you read a "free sample" and liked what you read?

These are product oriented approaches.

While marketing is required, the ultimate driver of success needs to be the product as it holds the key to creating and building momentum.

If the food is no good, you're essentially sailing on leaky boat that is taking on water and trying to drain it with an 8 oz cup.

Yes the food must be good, but going through an entire morning without a single customer when the restaurant first opens up, they can have the best food on the planet and it wouldn't matter. And even with a packed house (33 seats) they'd need to hope that a few of the people are the proactive personality type to share the good experience with relevent people.

With a book you can always send free (no risk) review copies to reviewers, influencial people to get the ball rolling. And then, after reading a review on it, I can buy and ship a copy of the book no matter where I live.

How can we do that with a localized restaurant?

Assuming your food is GREAT the most obvious route to take seems like finding as many creative ways to give away free (no consumer risk) or discounted (small consumer risk) meals. You can't pick up a fanatic or lifelong brand advocate unless they have tasted your food before.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Still waiting to hear if the food is good or not.

If it's really good I have a couple ideas that will fill it
up.

If it sucks, no need to waste time trying. I hate places
where the food sucks. ;-)

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
With a book you can always send free (no risk) review copies to reviewers, influencial people to get the ball rolling. And then, after reading a review on it, I can buy and ship a copy of the book no matter where I live.

How can we do that with a localized restaurant?

Send offers to local food bloggers? It's really not much different.

Yes, there is a smaller potential audience, but that obviously comes with the territory. If that wasn't planned for you're screwed from the beginning.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
You can use facebook search, and type "paris" in there. In the results page, click on user posts/commenrs/whatever (i cant remember what it's called, but it allows user wall posts to show up).

Find anybody who's mentioning an upcoming trip to paris and private moessage them with a coupon printout. It's jndividual attention I'm sure they'd love.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Dinner hours were a bit better with 10+ customers, there's been only positive feedback so far on the food and service, which is great to hear since it means it can be salvaged.

Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions ! No casinos in the area, but right now I'm going to present these ideas to them :

1-Print a new set of business cards w/vistaprint; current ones don't give off the right impression, need to look better

2-Advertise @ the subway station - that's a genius idea, as it is probably the main asset of the location. going to research whether we can straight up buy adspace, would be very profitable. Probably doing the same thing with local businesses as they're potentially regulars

3-Print flyers and put them in mailboxes, thought this had been done already but apparently absolutely zero time was spent marketing. Really important that people know we exist if we want them to eat there ! :)

4-Present the restaurant to people who have an audience (food bloggers/fb/twitter). ->
How do we get them to come and try the food ? Discount ?

Also we need menus in english, I bet we're losing hella customers by not having them.

Have your parents ever operated a restaurant before? Have they worked in one? A $600k investment is not the time to say "Chuck it, let's give it a go and hope for the best". Gordon Ramsey built an entire show around people who are woefully unfit to run a restaurant - I hope your parents do not fit this description. If they do, they better come to terms with it immediately and bring in someone who does know how to run a profitable restaurant and hand him the reins while they get tutored.
They've operated a restaurant before, but not fine dining so yeah they've hired a responsable de salle to run the place while they get tutored. Thanks for the offer in your earlier post, can I send you a PM ?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Ok since the food is supposedly good I'll reveal the ultimate secret...

Find your best customer (the guy/gal that comes in a couple times a week or more),
find out where they live (probably in a nice big house surrounded by other nice big houses),
and send them a really nice personal invitation to come eat for free. (picture wedding invitation)
then when they come in and present the invitation treat them like royalty because you know they live in a mansion down the street and absolutely make their experience perfect.

Voila. Change 1 time customers into clients. Then you're restaurant should be filled every day.

Be sure to track results of the invitations. Make sure you're not losing you a$$ on the mailers. But don't be afraid to lose on the front end to make up on the back end. 1 free meal may cost you $40 all said and done but a repeat client will pay for that time and time again.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I think that you should go with JackEdwards' idea and call some local news stations (TV or radio) and try to get them to feature your food. Even better, create an article FOR them. I can't recall what the thread was, but there was a post on here from Russ H where he talked about how, when he was younger, he would write up PR releases for his business and then send them to all of his local journalists who would be more than glad to publish it. Those articles were just one less thing the editors and journalists had to write to fill their newspaper or publication.

Even if it doesn't bring you any customers, it still gives you some credibility because you can say "Featured in such and such magazine and the blah blah blah Times."

In my mind, anything that doesn't take a lot of time or a lot of money is always worth a shot. Even if some of them don't yield the desired results, you'll still learn something, and sometimes your experiments will be successful and wildly surpass your expectations. Don't be afraid to experiment and try crazy things.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Just throwing in my 2 cents. Is the food any good? Critical as pointed out. I have not been to France but from my understanding Paris is completely different in the dining experience than here in the states. Terrible customer service (as we define it) and much more snobbery, at least on the fine dining end. Perhaps, just and idea, you could go to the tourism bureau and advertise to american tourists etc. A quick, no hassle dining experience, with great food, in France would be an oddity. Doesn't have to be fast food as we call it. Most Americans don't want to spend 2 hours eating anything unless there's a hell of a view. Wouldn't fly with the french but just an idea.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Here is something that almost nobody does but can work really well. Go to a large public gathering, that could be a baseball game, a busy street with a lot of foot traffic, an office building, anywhere in your area where you hope to pull customers in. Make sure you pick some food that will travel really well and rent or buy something to transport it properly(a heated/insulated box or nice cooler etc.) to ensure the best quality product gets to peoples mouths. If it is good/ they like it they should show up. While you are doing this give them your pitch about what you are/who you are etc. Then give them a coupon card that has your restaurant on it or you could just give away a menu or flyer. Whatever you think would be best for your style of restaurant. Coupons are not always a good strategy depending on the style etc.

The idea is to get people to eat one thing on your menu, like it, then upsell them on all of the other great things you offer and how good the atmosphere/ experience will be when they come.

Disclaimer: check you local laws as what you can and cannot do in regards to food varies greatly.

Before you go the mass media route make sure that you are 100% ready for these customers to show up. In the restaurant business you usually only get one shot. If you are still working things out like staff recipes etc. then wait until you are ready to go live.

One of the hardest things to do is manage your workforce. You must make sure that all of the working parts are running like a top for shit to not blow up when you get slammed. If you have any other questions including operational things just ask, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Good luck, it can be done.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
Gordon Ramsey built an entire show around people who are woefully unfit to run a restaurant - I hope your parents do not fit this description. If they do, they better come to terms with it immediately

I love that show. One thing you will learn from it is that in EVERY SINGLE SITUATION the actual problem is very fundamental and the owners are just blind to it, or in denial about it.

YOU should try to figure that out without getting to close, and point out the obvious flaws.

Compared to any other business, If everything else is right, Restaurants usually need almost no outside or paid marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.