The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello, I'm Formless.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Hello everyone.

I am 19 years old, male and living in the UK.

I have finished 6th Form about 3 months ago ('High School' if you're an American.)

At first, I wanted to be an EDM/Hip Hop producer/DJ when I was 14-17. I was certain of everything, 'knew everything', and skillwise, was actually good enough to make it.

Anyway the passion died off and simmered down, my mind became uncertain and the frustration with my family's financial situation built itself up over the course of my life.

I am from a slowlane/sidewalk family, surrounded by slowlaners and sidewalkers who embody Einstein's definition of insanity. I am not satisfied with where my life is going. I do not like working 9-5 jobs. Whether they're cash till positions or management positions. Same shit, but higher up the intestine. Numbers like '£60 000 a year' never interested me, I've never truly felt honestly satisfied by the figure £1 000 000 if I'm honest with you. I never liked the idea of having no time to live life and do things I enjoy. I used to beat myself up over all those perceptions because I was taught to believe that this was life, and I was just lazy.

I have taken a gap year and I have a place reserved at university for a business with (HRM, MARKETING, OPS - I can choose when I get there.) I have taken a job at a phone shop, it's a sales driven environment. A few weeks into the job, I already dislike it. I don't like having do deal with a**hole customers, I don't like my boss pressuring me for sales despite doing my best and grilling me over menial shit. I don't like having to ask for days off. I don't like being too tired to do anything when I get home. I know I cannot spend my life like this. I do not want to trade my life for a weekend to drink cider and pretend my dissatisfying life is not there.

I have just read the book and I am motivated and feel reinforced that someone who has actually 'done it' is now telling me how to do it. Not the proverbial 'broke uncle'.
I haven't yet developed an idea or plan, I have absolutely no knowledge of running a business, business law, the markets, the processes involved, I don't even understand a lot of basic terms. I know absolutely nothing that has much value. Yet.

I am here because I want education, advice and to hold myself accountable to myself by making ridiculous claims publicly and forcing myself to live up to them. I want to create a 'four-hour workweek' type of life, but not living out of a backpack in a shitty hut in Thailand. I know that this journey, when undertaken, will be harder and more grueling than anything I have experienced before.

I am prepared for that, because at least at the end of the 'fastlane tunnel' there's a light. There's no light at the end of the 'slowlane/sidewalk tunnel.' There is only arthritis, self-loathing and meaninglessness.

This post has a very negative tone, do not mistake me for a negative person. I am simply dissatisfied with where my life is going because I KNOW that there is more out there, and I want it, and am aware that if I keep walking the road the masses are walking, I will live like the masses are living.

I count on your support and advice, because all I have to offer to you guys right now, is questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
Good introduction.
You have a sales job right now, that's awesome and I'll tell you why: most entrepreneurs fail because they're horrible at sales. Unfortunately, if you can't close any deals your biz won't make you a dime. Too many entrepreneurs have a great product but don't know shit about pricing, sales psychology or anything related to that.

Use the time in the phone shop well to work on your sales skills. Read sales / marketing book in your free time and try to implement what you've learned in your 9 to 5. Keep notes of everything.

Looking forward to your follow along.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
I can relate to almost every part of your story and I'm 19 too..
I hope few of the INSIDERS will share here their advice and stories about what they done when they were 19..

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Welcome Formless.

Similar to yourself I realised the futility of working for other people and the unfair trade of 5 days on for 2 days off at a young age. The only difference was I hadn't read TMF and didn't even know what an entrepreneur was so I DID find solace at the bottom of a pint because that's what everyone did, grind out 40-50 hours of work a week and let the madness begin for 2 days on a Friday.
Congratulations on knowing you don't want to go down that path, ultimately its a shit existence that leads nowhere, speaking from experience here.
I imagine alot of people you know will take this route and will try and take you with them, don't let them.
I'm a little over 30 now and my friends are still doing the same shit they were doing at your age with no end in sight, its F*cking retarded.

Again similar to yourself my first job out of highschool was selling mobile phones and I learned alot.
I wasnt the best salesman on the floor but I learned how to build rapport with strangers/customers very quickly and this has served me well ever since. Even though you hate your job, do it to the best of your ability and you will take things away from it at the end of the day, its temporary so dont sweat it.
Lastly I'd recommend buying an INSIDERS pass, and start by reading the 'Addicted to Passive Income' thread in there, that one thread alone is worth way more than the price of admission.

You're way ahead of the game in terms of your age and knowing what you do and do not want, so for that alone I say congratulations.

Good luck mate.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks everyone.

I've yet to read Greene's 48 laws of power. My forum nickname is from Bruce Lee.

I will be able to afford to buy an INSIDERS's pass 09/11.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...