The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from the Cayman Islands

OptionTradingIQ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 15, 2011
Cayman Islands
Hi everyone,

I just finished listening to an awesome interview with MJ over at The Smart Passive Income Blog with Pat Flynn. Really looking forward to getting involved in the forum, i haven't read the book but will definately be checking it out.

My name is Gavin McMaster, I’m 29 years old and I’m originally from Melbourne Australia. Currently I live with my wife Alex and 2 year old daughter Zoe in Grand Cayman which is where we have lived for the past 7 years. I work in the hedge fund industry but am really looking to get out of the 9-5 (more like 8-6 at the moment). I started up a website called Options Trading IQ in December 2010 as a hobby, to learn a bit more about how the internet works and to learn more about the tech side of things which is not my strong suit. Since starting the site, I’ve learnt loads but realize I still have a lot to learn, hence joining the forum. Although it started as a hobby I now realize that I want to turn it into something bigger that will eventually replace my 9-5 income.

My interest in the stock market can be traced back to Primary School, i can’t remember the teacher or the which grade, but she told a fictional story which has always stuck with me. It was a typical stock market tale of fear and greed, the two most powerful emotions in the financial markets. A stock trader who bought a stock at $1, watched in climb all the way up past $1000, but got greedy and wouldn’t sell assuming he would make more money. Of course some sort of bad news about the company came out and next thing you know the stock was back to $1. Of course this was a fictional story, but from that point on i was hooked. I bought my first shares when I was 13 and have been trading ever since, although more heavily in the last 6 years. I have bought just about every book you can think of on options trading. I also went back to school and completed my Masters in Applied Finance and Investment in August 2009. Still, there is only so much you can learn from a book and i have learnt so much more from actually trading options.

I’ve been trading seriously for the past 6 years and my aim with my website is to help beginner option traders learn from my experiences and also follow along with some of my trades to learn about how I trade and learn from my successes and my failures. My primary aim is to help people who are in the same position I was in 5-6 years ago when I was starting out. I had some pretty big losses in those first few years because I didn’t know how to evaluate or control my risk. I’m at a point now when I finally feel successful and have managed to grow my account from 25K to 125K over the last 2 years. My aim is to increase that to 250K within 12-18 months, both through my returns and also plowing some extra savings into my account.

Eventually through the website I would like to offer live webinars and educational courses. I have also been doing some interviews with top traders and have that as free content on the site. At the moment everything is free and will be until I can build up a decent following. I’ve learnt heaps from Pat Flynn, so definitely check out his blog and I also listen to the Internet Business Mastery podcast as these guys have a lot of great insights as well. I’ve never done anything like this before or had my own business, so I’m sure there are a lot of things I could be doing better but I’m learning loads and am probably further along with my website than I thought I would be by this point.

I look forward to connecting with people on this site and sharing experiences with a view to mutually beneficial growth.

Cheers!
Gavin.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Welcome! I loved the intro, but I'm biased! ;)

Best regards.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I'm an investor, but I live my life vicariously through the stories of traders ;)

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Another idea you might consider since you are in the caymans is a one stop shop hedge fund setup company making it easier for people to get started. Line up the accounting, legal, audit/backoffice etc...and package it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro Gavin, I look forward to hearing more from you. I dabble in options and unfortunately, "dabbling" is a prescription for losses. =)

OptionTradingIQ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 15, 2011
Cayman Islands
I'm an investor, but I live my life vicariously through the stories of traders ;)

Cool, well hopefully I'll have some good stories to shares over the coming weeks, months and years.

OptionTradingIQ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 15, 2011
Cayman Islands
Great intro Gavin, I look forward to hearing more from you. I dabble in options and unfortunately, "dabbling" is a prescription for losses. =)

Thanks MJ, nice to get a personal response from you! Look forward to chatting to you more often. Any time you want to talk options or the stock market, drop me a line.

OptionTradingIQ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 15, 2011
Cayman Islands
Another idea you might consider since you are in the caymans is a one stop shop hedge fund setup company making it easier for people to get started. Line up the accounting, legal, audit/backoffice etc...and package it.

Yeah, i actually work in the industry so it is something i have considered, but I don't think i'm quite at that point yet. There are a lot of costs involved with setting up a hedge fund.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Yeah, i actually work in the industry so it is something i have considered, but I don't think i'm quite at that point yet. There are a lot of costs involved with setting up a hedge fund.

"When I started my fund of hedge funds I didn’t put one dime into the expense of setting it up until I had the first $20 million commitment. $20 million with a 1.5% management fee meant an instant $300 thousand in revenues, plus extra money for legal fees, etc. Enough to pay a salary or two. It took a year of cultivating my network before I had that commitment, but it worked."

The Easiest Way to Succeed as an Entrepreneur Altucher Confidential

Just something to consider!

Best regards.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Hi Gavin,
Welcome to the forum from a fellow options trader. I also opened my first brokerage account when I was in my teens (14) and have been investing since.

Over the past few years I have primarily moved into options and am enjoying the tumultuous ride.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences in the hedge fund world and with trading.

OptionTradingIQ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 15, 2011
Cayman Islands
Hi Gavin,
Welcome to the forum from a fellow options trader. I also opened my first brokerage account when I was in my teens (14) and have been investing since.

Over the past few years I have primarily moved into options and am enjoying the tumultuous ride.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences in the hedge fund world and with trading.

Thanks, look forward to chatting to you some more. What stategies / markets do you trade? I trade only the US market and use credit spreads, iron condors and cash secured puts. Credit spreads have been working really well for me lately.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
What stategies / markets do you trade?

Primarily US equities. I do trade some currency and metals eft's like EUO, UUP, GDX, GDXJ, and a few others.

I usually sell cash covered naked puts, or credit spreads. I rarely buy except to hedge risk on large equity positions.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009